You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-06 19:57:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Smartphone file transfer: what do you use?

martix wrote:

What is it that Google Drive offers but it's not available in e.g. Syncthing, Nextcloud or Owncloud (which is in the repos already)?

It was already on the phone when I needed to upload the scrot for our Android screenshots thread and I couldn't be bothered looking for anything else.

I am curious: what is that people actually transfer from their phones to computers?

I've only had to do that about 3 times in the 4 years I've been using GNU/Linux, I think I did a photo once but I can't remember why.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#2 2018-03-06 22:50:42

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Re: Smartphone file transfer: what do you use?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
martix wrote:

What is it that Google Drive offers but it's not available in e.g. Syncthing, Nextcloud or Owncloud (which is in the repos already)?

It was already on the phone when I needed to upload the scrot for our Android screenshots thread and I couldn't be bothered looking for anything else.

God Almighty! That's a Windows (and Apple) user's argument! Something like that from someone using urxvt with tmux makes RMS sad. sad      monkey
You could have used KDE-connect or a tool like BluetoothFileTransfer (medieval).

I am curious: what is that people actually transfer from their phones to computers?

Since phones are more and more Foto- and Videocamera replacements, I'd say people transfer mostly pics, vids and maybe downloaded mp3s. I used file transfer before when the computer's internet connection was broken and downloaded files to fix it via Smartphone.

#3 2018-03-06 22:52:51

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

martix wrote:

That's a Windows (and Apple) user's argument!

That's fighting talk where I come from...  monkey

But seriously, I can't stand smartphones and I don't use it at all if I can help it so the fewer swipes the better in my book big_smile

#4 2018-03-07 06:22:06

ohnonot
...again
Website

ok, i guess i will check that out evtl.
i don't use any of the "advanced" gvfs features anyhow.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

pictures mostly, sometimes music downloaded with newpipe.
computer => phone: playlists for my radio app, bus tickets in PDF etc.
btw, i use aafm for the transfers.
I don't carry a laptop around with me and actually use my android phone quite a lot beyond making calls and listening to music. never banking/purchasing though.
I took some pains to make it as google-free and safe as possible, but it's quite outdated by now... i guess it's time for a new(er) phone...

#5 2018-03-08 01:44:22

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

In my case; invoices/receipts, tax related docs, medical information, PDF copies or text extractions of legal or signed shit... basically, anything you don't want on a cloud service.

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-03-08 01:45:53)

#6 2018-03-08 07:14:53

Martin
Website

glittersloth wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

In my case; invoices/receipts, tax related docs, medical information, PDF copies or text extractions of legal or signed shit... basically, anything you don't want on a cloud service.

Photos, videos...

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#7 2018-03-08 08:02:58

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ & ^^ & ^^^, interesting, thanks.

Isn't it quicker to transfer large files via wireless?

#8 2018-03-08 13:05:46

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

glittersloth wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Sometimes I've got the impression that today's smartphones - meaning Android and iPhone devices - are cloud services themselves.

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=6TVAuffHJao

#9 2018-03-08 15:19:47

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Yes, I do it wirelessly. Were you asking about wired file transfers, specifically? I haven't done that for a few years. The file manager app on my phone has a "wifi drive" option that gives me an IP for drag-n-drop transfers via the desktop's browser. That's mostly for the important documents and music. Sure, it's a manual process (password/fingerprint required each time), but I like that it's OS agnostic. For general stuff like app settings, and photos, I just use auto-sync to the Mac since they're encrypted anyway.

martix wrote:

Sometimes I've got the impression that today's smartphones - meaning Android and iPhone devices - are cloud services themselves.

You do get some granular control (basically on or off) over what you want cloud-synced. Documents, images, medical info, etc are obviously disabled. I mostly use iCloud backup for general OS and certain app settings on iOS, because it's a liquid pain to reconfigure every single app each time I get a new iPhone. That and I don't like plugging into the Mac for a restore, since desktop iTunes is a steaming pile of clunky crap - it's a last resort in case iCloud restore bricks something. Nothing of value is stored on my Android device (it's never been connected to my home/office wifi either), so I'm not too bothered about that side of things. Only use it for Line or WhatsApp, and those conversations are snooped on by default anyway, cloud backup or not.

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-03-08 15:21:16)

#10 2018-03-08 15:32:00

mynis

martix wrote:
glittersloth wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=6TVAuffHJao

I believe it was Snowden who once said something to the effect of "Smart phones are surveillance devices that happen to be able to make phone calls." An integral part of the whole business model that their existence revolves around is just data mining.

#11 2018-03-08 16:00:29

Sun For Miles

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I manually transfer backup of my contacts, since I don't sync that with any of the popular services. Sometimes screenshots and on even more rare occasion I transfer multimedia I made with my phone camera.

----------

What is the preferable way of sharing files for you guys?

I haven't thought that Google drive would be a no-go zone for some (and I avoided to use my own domain or git so created a generic Goog drive URL on one of my accounts I have never used for sharing files).

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#12 2018-03-08 20:02:27

ohnonot
...again
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

the adb-based aafm i mentioned earlier is much, much faster than gvfs-mtp.
that's the only comparison i have; i always found it repulsive to use a network when a cable is at hand.

#13 2018-03-08 20:37:16

Martin
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

My Nokia 700 behaves like an USB-stick when I hook it up to my computer and I can move files to anywhere I want just like that. Why should have to be more complicated than that?

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#14 2018-03-08 21:35:56

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Thanks for all the responses folks, I seem to have accidentally started a topic in the Off Topic thread (which is forbidden) so I've excised it out into it's own area, I hope nobody minds.

#15 2018-03-08 21:48:23

twoion
ほやほや

KDE Connect (over WLAN) or Bluetooth. KDE connect provides a KIO slave for file manager integration under KDE and supports sending files using a context menu. Bluetooth file transfers work also suprisingly using bluez + again KDE's Bluetooth integration.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#16 2018-03-09 08:16:23

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Martin wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

My Nokia 700 behaves like an USB-stick when I hook it up to my computer and I can move files to anywhere I want just like that. Why should have to be more complicated than that?

/Martin

With android tablet I would frequently want to access an ebook from Debian machine, it does work connecting with ssh using the file manager named ... ES file explorer (And probably gazillion other file managers).

I think this is the one
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ndroid.pop

Not sure how annoying would that be on the phone.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-03-09 08:17:06)

#17 2018-03-09 11:06:06

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

brontosaurusrex wrote:

I think this is the one
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ndroid.pop

Not sure how annoying would that be on the phone.

Ohohohoh, not from there perhaps? I mean go for it if you like, but preferably there are great tools here as well:

https://staging.f-droid.org/search?q=File+Manager

#18 2018-03-10 07:33:36

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ i sometimes use ghost commander for that, it has an sftp plugin.
i think ES file explorer is more comfortable, but i'm also reasonably sure it is spyware...

Martin wrote:

because smartphones have long moved on to something "better" than that cry why, nobody knows...

but i repeat: if you have the cable, adb is the easiest & fastest solution.

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-03-10 07:35:03)

#19 2018-03-10 13:15:48

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

mynis wrote:

"Smart phones are surveillance devices that happen to be able to make phone calls." An integral part of the whole business model that their existence revolves around is just data mining.

I think this has been just confirmed by a global study recently released.

#20 2018-03-10 14:24:33

ratcheer

I mostly use something such as Google Drive or Mega. I understand that this is not secure. I try to make sure that very important files are encrypted.

Tim

#21 2018-03-21 10:01:26

Nili
Website

I simply use "jmtpfs" with those two aliases

alias phone="jmtpfs /mnt/phone"
alias unphone="fusermount -u /mnt/phone"

phone to active, unphone to deactive. jmtpfs installs only three packages

Start-Date: 2017-05-06  14:50:43
Commandline: apt-get install jmtpfs --no-install-recommends
Install: libmtp9:i386 (1.1.8-1+b1, automatic), jmtpfs:i386 (0.5-2), libmtp-common:i386 (1.1.8-1, automatic)
End-Date: 2017-05-06  14:50:46

Very simple and without complications at all. I transfer daily 20GB FLAC's from pc to phone.

Devuan | Fluxbox
---
Nothing beats peace and quiet - Tomoki Sakurai

#22 2018-03-22 11:42:57

titan

Depends on file size but often just use either Tutanota mail or wire to send encrypted files between phone and PC.

Board footer