You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-26 07:12:16

ohnonot
...again
Website

GTK3 and how to make it lighter or more usable

Gtk3 has been an annoyance for me for a long time for many reasons, but more and more applications rely on it instead of Qt (which seems to be the saner alternative these days), or gtk2.

I tried to add some magic to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/*, installed a nocsd package, but apart from a few visual differences it never seemed to have an impact on performance and usability (the insane file chooser / save dialog).

couple o' days ago i tried gtk3-mushrooms (*) and it really seems to make a difference!
is it only my wishful thinking, or do gtk3 apps start up faster now, their UIs more responsive?

I wish there was more drop-in replacements like this, more tutorials, more definite information.

(*) that is fairly easy on archlinux with an AUR helper. But part of my question is about debian & derivates, prebuilt packages etc.
afaik, no distro can be without gtk3, and to my knowledge no (lightweight) distro uses a tweaked gtk3?

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-02-26 07:13:57)

#2 2018-02-26 07:35:40

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: GTK3 and how to make it lighter or more usable

This is an Arch package I guess? If it could be ported to Debian Stretch we could think of making a .deb...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2018-02-26 20:03:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

i hadn't realised it's so arch-centric.
but the patches referenced are NOT arch specific.

and if you look at the AUR, there's a few more gtk3 versions

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-02-26 20:04:13)

#4 2018-02-28 18:40:56

m1rr0r5h4d35

Yeah, I'm not so keen on GTK3 either. Especially my older 32-bit machines. My solution thus far has been swapping some of the gnome apps for ones from Mate that are still gtk2. Like file roller for engrampa and evince for Atril. I know as time marches on, I'm fighting an uphill battle, but at least this is something for now.

"A graphic representation of data abstracted from the banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding."

- William Gibson

Board footer