You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-29 02:58:19

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Question/comments about Android talk to text-type.

The problem/issue, typing on a smartphone or other small form factor touchscreen keyboard just tends to be somewhat tedious and/or painful. Personally despise auto-correct and always disable it at once, as one of the first things on anything Android/mobile.

A thread by Johnraff prompted this topic to pop in my head again. Talking about this type of thing, it's long been on the mental 2dork list though haven't tried it as yet. Was wondering if anyone here has and which apps or methods were involved. How'd they work out for you and would you recommend whichever to others ?

Also if you haven't tried this type of thing either, by all means here's the chance and would be great hearing about the particulars of your experience, which software was used etc. Will play with some of it myself, may take a bit but will get back to this thread about results and impressions, mayhaps some recommendations.

What say you fellow nixers ? Have you already freed yourself from the shackles of annoying and tiny keyboards ? Do you long to be free and are willing to try some stuff out and share findings ? Together we may be able to end this scourge of itty bitty keys and the tapping thereof !!!!

Vll! smile

Ps, alternative approaches in a similar vein also definitely welcome, bluetooth to whatever else.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-12-29 03:01:28)

#2 2017-12-29 08:36:16

jr2

Re: Question/comments about Android talk to text-type.

ok this reply 100 percent via google's microphone interface it seems to be working ok  no special software tester what came on this android phones played by google

...now typing. Two mistakes above: tester>except
played>provided

normal service will be resumed as soon as possible

#3 2017-12-29 09:34:07

ohnonot
...again
Website

that's the thing with all these technologies. 90% correct is a very bad score and it's still a long way to go before they reach 99.99%.

also, you know, giving google an excellent tool to quite literally listen in on you, permanently.

#4 2017-12-29 10:32:27

jr2

ohnonot wrote:

that's the thing with all these technologies. 90% correct is a very bad score and it's still a long way to go before they reach 99.99%.

But what score would a  human likely get for a quick phrase, no context?

also, you know, giving google an excellent tool to quite literally listen in on you, permanently.

Scary indeed. But what to do? Rip out the mic? As I said, voice input came built-in on this phone. No way to disable it with confidence, and still have a usable phone.

Last edited by jr2 (2017-12-29 10:36:16)

#5 2017-12-29 13:37:18

ohnonot
...again
Website

jr2 wrote:

But what to do? Rip out the mic?

software solutions exist, but that would likely require rooting first.

#6 2017-12-29 17:29:59

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Supposed it's like 92 percent accuracy on avg John.

#7 2017-12-29 18:50:12

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Regardless, I use the mic to text while driving. I keep my messages brief but I find the service indispensable for such occasions. Unfortunately, for a machine to understand human speech, you pretty much have to have an AI interpreting it, so I view it as a pick your poison type thing.

#8 2017-12-29 21:16:51

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Good point one of the links in that google search also suggests text to speech, so that your device will read your texts to you too. Which is cool, the whole gives Google Inc a chance to listen in, personally feel is kinda over the top in the whole privacy thing. If someone really feels that way, they should get a dumb phone or whatever. Which is still a friggin transceiver and can still be compromised in one of several ways to listen in on and/or track the movements of whoever. Btw that's not directed at anyone here in particular.

That statistic = avg touch typer getting 8 errors out of 100 chars = 92%, so if talk to type is getting 90% that's pretty dang good. Considering seen stats that the avg touchscreen typer gets all of 30wmp and that's people who practice etc whereas you can say 250wpm or so, shrugs. Haven't had a chance to dork with any of this myself right now. It's Friday and beer o clock so have other junk to do atm. big_smile

PS, Also am sure there's things someone can do to improve or make worse the 90% thing, ie: Speak clearly or not ...

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-12-29 21:23:10)

#9 2017-12-30 00:34:20

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

jr2 wrote:

ok this reply 100 percent via google's microphone interface it seems to be working ok  no special software tester what came on this android phones played by google

That's my main problem with these speech-to-text systems. They're absolutely bollocks at punctuation. Every time I need to end a sentence, I have to say "period", and if I'm outside, women start looking at me funny after a few sentences. hmm

#10 2017-12-30 07:39:00

ohnonot
...again
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

am sure there's things someone can do to improve or make worse the 90% thing, ie: Speak clearly or not ...

i'm pretty sure johnraff spoke as clearly as possible, and assuming a quiet hospital room, those 92% are as good as it gets.
before personal computers there used to be ways to measure typing speed, and each typing error made would reduce the score, clearly defined rules.
if one used this to compare phonetyping to text-to-speech - well it's tricky because it also depends on how good someone is at this - but i'm pretty sure that android's text-to-speech would be slightly better at best.

jr2 wrote:

But what score would a  human likely get for a quick phrase, no context?

typing or speaking?

speaking: human speech contains an almost indefinite amount of information. even the best computer (those that are still as large as washing machines) couldn't compete with that.

typing: ok, good point. looking at some of the forum posts i see sometimes... (*) grammatically correct or understandable? but i still maintain that a human will always try to be understood and try to formulate coherent sentences, as compared to the babble that you gave us as an example: every word perfectly understandable, but the meaning is lost.

(*) actually, i think many (non-english speakers) use google translate to formulate their posts. it rather increases the babylonian confusion, instead of helping. if those posters took the effort to say what they want in - however broken - english, i think it would still be more understandable.

Last edited by ohnonot (2017-12-30 07:41:47)

#11 2017-12-31 01:38:47

jr2

ohnonot wrote:
BLizgreat! wrote:

am sure there's things someone can do to improve or make worse the 90% thing, ie: Speak clearly or not ...

i'm pretty sure johnraff spoke as clearly as possible, and assuming a quiet hospital room ...

Quiet room: correct, but I wanted to give it a fair trial and was speaking somewhat normally.

Still clearly not yet perfect, but speech recognition is starting to get there IMO.

Translation: sorry, not yet. Between European languages, maybe not too bad, but Google Translate  Japanese <> English is usually incomprehensible. I 'd guess the same between any languages from completely different families.

Last edited by jr2 (2017-12-31 07:40:44)

#12 2017-12-31 06:53:28

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

ohnonot wrote:

(*) actually, i think many (non-english speakers) use google translate to formulate their posts. it rather increases the babylonian confusion, instead of helping. if those posters took the effort to say what they want in - however broken - english, i think it would still be more understandable.

Give it another decade and language as we know it will be completely replaced by those ghastly emojis. Problem solved. Rappers will be out of jobs though.

#13 2017-12-31 15:57:44

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ big_smile Ah tis all good, still haven't played with anything in this niche. Spent all of yesterday in bed hungover to within an inch of life. Got a jump start on New Yrs Eve. Not sure I've got the guts to repeat Friday ! Argghhh, happy almost new years fellows !

90 (hands free) vs avg of 92% for those typing isn't really bad imo. Though anyone who only avgs the wpm those typists do and has that high of an error rate need to do some more typing practice imo too and the difference in wpm possible clearly makes talk/text superior. The language thing I have no idea about, only speak one lang and not sure if I technically even speak English correctly, shrugs.

Overall do think it's cool that geeks have been here, done this ... are at least working on it. Even people with serious physical issues can access and interact with technology. Also sure some progs are bound to be better than others in this or like everything else can be tweaked and likely tips/tricks to improving the outcome. It's on the 2dork list but other things are higher priority. Like working up the nerve to drink too much today and winding up sick again. tongue

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-12-31 16:12:52)

Board footer