You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-29 19:25:01

iainnitro

Greetings

My name is Michael and I live in Kansas USA.  I have been a Linux user for over 20 years and professionally, a UNIX admin and developer.

I discovered BL and because I currently have a low powered machine, it works wonderfully.  I am a bit disappointed by the lack of GUI editing controls, though I see those are being developed and worked on.  I have managed to make the desktop perform like I would like it to and there are few things I have to learn, that being said, I like the control over the system that BL and before Crunchbang allowed as well as a KISS attitude towards the bloat.

I joined this forum because I would like to see full integration of flatpak in future releases, so if any developer is paying attention, that is my hope the the future of this distribution.

I came from Solaris, FreeBSD and AIX professionally, and my favorite distro has been Fedora and Debian (Ubuntu) on a personal level.

I hope to be a good contributor to this community and will definitely take an active role in evangelizing the flatpak idea.  I really would like to see flatpak surplant apt one day.

Feel free to message me here if you have thoughts and as long as it is constructive, I welcome arguement to my flatpak campaign.

Thank-you and may Linux surplant the evil other OSes!

--
Michael, Kansas USA

#2 2017-10-29 19:46:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Greetings

Hello and welcome!

iainnitro wrote:

I would like to see full integration of flatpak in future releases

It is already possible to use flatpak with the current release, see this example for details:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3168

There is a flatpak package in the Debian stretch repositories so that can be used with the next release.

I came from Solaris, FreeBSD and AIX professionally

Fascinating, I love UNIX systems, I run OpenBSD myself (along with Arch & Alpine Linux).

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2017-10-29 19:48:52

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

iainnitro wrote:

I really would like to see flatpak surplant apt one day

I disagree.

See http://kmkeen.com/maintainers-matter/ for the case against  big_smile

#4 2017-10-29 20:06:27

iainnitro

Hello Head-on-a-Stick:

How is London?  Always wanted to visit there.

I respect your opinion and have read the link you provided. I get that flatpak is install able as I did so. I always have had one singular issue with Debian in particular, that is that Ian and Deb are extremely conservative about the version of software that is available.  You have to go to third party repos in order to get the latest version of an application.  Point and case, I use Pithos for Pandora radio and the 1.3 version which is installed by Jessie is not up to par with Pandoras API and has issues therefore, the current 1.4 release fixes this.

I guess I would like to see something like Gentoo that comes with nothing but the OS and install everything from flatpak or build...like FreeBSD, but for my work machine, that is not practical for time reasons.  I am NOT a fan of Snappy, but I am a fan of Alex Larsson and really think he is on the right track.  GRANTED: each person needs to "steel" their distro and make them secure by their own needs... there are always people looking to undermine legitimate software in the name of profit or gain.

Anyhow, that is my 2 cents worth (with respect to England, 2 Toppins).  Thank-you for your opinion and indeed I think you are entitled to it, I will not try to change people's minds, but I will also state my opinion in a constructive way.

Thanks for your replies!

--
Michael, Kansas USA

#5 2017-10-29 20:14:14

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

iainnitro wrote:

I always have had one singular issue with Debian in particular, that is that Ian and Deb are extremely conservative about the version of software that is available

Yes, that is the nature of Debian, please see https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian … f_Syndrome

You have to go to third party repos in order to get the latest version of an application

This is not true, see https://backports.debian.org/

Anyway, what is the problem with using APT to provide a stable, reliable base system and then using flatpak for the shiny new sh...tuff that you want?

How is London?

Utterly awesome in every way, you should visit  smile

#6 2017-10-29 20:20:09

iainnitro

Anyway, what is the problem with using APT to provide a stable, reliable base system and then using flatpak for the shiny sh...tuff that you want?

That is ok, that is what I am doing now  smile

I just really would like control over what is put on the system and not have the dependancy issues that are in the current landscape of Linux.  Again, purely my opinion.

--
Michael, Kansas USA

#7 2017-10-29 20:21:43

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

See http://kmkeen.com/maintainers-matter/ for the case against  big_smile

Very insightful and informative essay, thanks for the link HoaS.

Last edited by iMBeCil (2017-10-29 20:22:01)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

Board footer