KrunchTime

#53 2015-11-18 09:56:29

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Re: What are you reading right now?

started in last two months:
- One about Černobil
- One about Hitlers children
Both more depressive than Jodorovsky movies, so did not get over page 30.

#54 2015-11-18 16:52:35

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

I began the book "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms". A compilation of a handful of George R.R Martin's "Game of thrones" universe short stories. Really Really good. Reading this after you read the Ice and Fire series, is very good sort of "pre show" that sets the stage and gives us lots of crunchy bits and some nice background fluff.
If you're a fan of the Game of Thrones books, definitely check it out...lots of names that you'll recognize from the mainstay series.

Seven Kingdoms
51OkSw-GnEL._SL300_.jpg

Last edited by Horizon_Brave (2015-11-18 16:53:26)

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#55 2015-11-18 18:12:18

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ Horizon_Brave, did you read the books from which the series is made?
do they suffer from the same illness as the tv series?

#56 2015-11-18 19:36:50

Horizon_Brave

ohnonot wrote:

^ Horizon_Brave, did you read the books from which the series is made?
do they suffer from the same illness as the tv series?

I've read the whole series. And while I have my complaints, I really enjoy the series...I don't / refuse to watch the TV series.  Umm If you think the TV show is slow paced, the book isnt' much speedier. If anything I think for the books, it's a good thing. To keep with realism, things shouldn't move fast. We're talking about a civilization in a dark/middle aged period. No communications, cars, motors..things should progress slowly.

The world is in a slow churning state of turmoil that can't just be changed over night for the sake of drama.

Last edited by Horizon_Brave (2015-11-18 19:42:31)

#57 2015-11-19 07:14:34

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ it's interesting that it happens in the book, too, because it's kindof a typical ailment to befall tv series after a few seasons...
but yeah, i can see how it might work in a book, but not on tv.

#58 2015-11-19 16:45:08

Horizon_Brave

ohnonot wrote:

^ it's interesting that it happens in the book, too, because it's kindof a typical ailment to befall tv series after a few seasons...
but yeah, i can see how it might work in a book, but not on tv.

Honestly, I enjoy a much slower paced story, over a fast quick shallow one. Especially in Martin's universe there are so many damn names thrown at you, hearing them over and over again helps them "stick". Don't get me wrong, things DEFINITELY happen in the books... but It's taken a bit at a time. There's periods of nothing then BOOM something big happens...then slow periods...It's my kind of writing style...

#59 2015-11-19 19:19:07

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

^ Unless its William Gibson...then I don't mind the pace at all. Cyberpunk should be fast paced. I always read his books in a day and want more.

#60 2015-11-20 01:59:45

Horizon_Brave

tknomanzr wrote:

^ Unless its William Gibson...then I don't mind the pace at all. Cyberpunk should be fast paced. I always read his books in a day and want more.

Heh, true...Okay, besides Neuromancer... what other Gibson books do you recommend?

#61 2015-11-20 05:18:20

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Horizon_Brave wrote:

I began the book "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms". A compilation of a handful of George R.R Martin's "Game of thrones" universe short stories. Really Really good. Reading this after you read the Ice and Fire series, is very good sort of "pre show" that sets the stage and gives us lots of crunchy bits and some nice background fluff.
If you're a fan of the Game of Thrones books, definitely check it out...lots of names that you'll recognize from the mainstay series.

Seven Kingdoms
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … SL300_.jpg

Reading this too.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#62 2015-11-20 06:28:24

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Horizon_Brave wrote:
tknomanzr wrote:

Heh, true...Okay, besides Neuromancer... what other Gibson books do you recommend?

All Tomorrow's Parties, Mona Lisa Overdrive. Heck you can't go wrong with anything he writes that is of the genre he created tongue

#63 2015-11-20 13:48:24

Irulan

Gave up on 93355793.0.m.jpg
And picked up latest?cb=20120427170229
-Hinto

Last edited by hinto (2015-11-20 13:51:09)

#64 2015-11-20 16:09:13

twoion
ほやほや

I do not know if some of you are connoisseurs of comic books; I particularly enjoy a couple of works by French, Belgian and American authors, which I'd like to introduce briefly.

Roger Leloup draws Yoko Tsuno, a very well-drawn science-fiction series played out on Earth and in Space (across time, occasionally). I particularly like the extremely detailed pictures of old European buildings and cities in some of the series, however the overall quality of both story and art is high. The comics are written in French, but a few have been translated into German, English as well as other languages. It's a comic of the 20th century. Wikipedia. Well-sorted fan page. Example illustration.

My favourite books are: L'Or du Rhin (Rheingold), Les 3 Soleils de Vinéa (The Three Suns of Vinea), L'Orgue du Diable (The Devil's Organ), and L'Astrologue de Bruges (The Astrologer of Bruges).

Also written in French, Spirou et Fantasio is one of my most favourite series ever. The albums were drawn by different artist-and-textwriter constellations succeeding each other – the tone of the comics is diverse, the fictional world is interesting and some are told very well.

The in my opinion most memorable story is QRN sur Bretzelburg (QRN over Bretzelburg) from 1963, a fabulous satire on life and politics in Eastern Europe during the time of the Cold War. I know that a nice German translation exists.
170px-Spirou18QRN.jpg.

Finally, there are the Scrooge McDuck comics by Don Rosa which are among my all-time favourites (I recall having mentioned this before, probably over at #!). An examplary work of literary quality is The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck which I adore and hereby declare awesome. Another beautiful story is The Quest for Kalevala, alongside many other stories.
--
Edit: Found it! Read more about my reading habits at http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 97#p377397.

Last edited by twoion (2015-11-20 16:17:14)

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#65 2015-11-24 17:38:37

jmr

Just Finished reading "How Not To be Wrong: The power of Mathematical Thinking". It was a good book if you don't know a lot about math already. I have seen most of the concepts before.

Currently reading "Last Bus to Wisdom" by Ian Doing (his last novel). I enjoy the modern westerns a lot.

I also always have a classic or two I am working my way through. Right not it's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea".

#66 2015-11-25 10:33:39

Temetka

Finished my 2nd reading of Siddartha.

Now I am reading this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_Buddha_Taught

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#67 2015-11-25 13:23:48

ratcheer

I finished The Silmarillion and started Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

Tim

#68 2015-12-05 16:42:04

Horizon_Brave

So I took the easy way out and I'm re-reading Neuromancer. lol, I haven't read it in a while, so while I remember the general overview and feel, it's quite a different read now that I"m older. It's really true that seeing things through the lens of 'time' can really change your perception on things...

#69 2015-12-05 16:44:55

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

I'm currently reading IT by Stephen King.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#70 2015-12-05 16:57:58

Martin
Website

I read "Neuromancer" some six-seven years ago and was fascinated by Gibson's English -- not my first language but I had no problems with it. In "Gravity's Rainbow", on the other hand, Pynchon left me stranded at times.

Right now I am reading "Introduction to Composite Materials Design" by Ever J. Barbero, which is something completely different :-)

And Per Wästbergs Stockholm which is in Swedish. History is always interesting.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#71 2015-12-05 17:35:38

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Horizon_Brave wrote:

So I took the easy way out and I'm re-reading Neuromancer. lol, I haven't read it in a while, so while I remember the general overview and feel, it's quite a different read now that I"m older. It's really true that seeing things through the lens of 'time' can really change your perception on things...

I forgot to mention that Idoru was probably one of my favorites of his. I need to re-read Neuromancer as well.

#72 2015-12-14 18:07:16

Horizon_Brave

tknomanzr wrote:
Horizon_Brave wrote:

I forgot to mention that Idoru was probably one of my favorites of his. I need to re-read Neuromancer as well.

I'll check it out.   So I finished Neuromancer for the 2nd time. Hmm a good solid cyberpunk novel. You can tell it's been referenced and sourced by later books of the genre.

I just started Leviathan Wakes. This is the book that the tv show The Expanse is based on. Listen here chaps, if you like the first episode of the Expanse...read the book! I'm only 5 chapters in..and it's already leagues (light years?) better than the show! It's a very very nice blend of hard sci-fi and character based story. I'm loving it...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/885 … than-wakes
leviathan300x300.jpg?w=200&h=200

Last edited by Horizon_Brave (2015-12-14 18:08:22)

#73 2015-12-15 13:23:20

ratcheer

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It is very long and morbid, but some parts are extremely funny. Last night, there were a couple of parts that made me choke, I was laughing so hard. One of my favorite lines so far: A man was in intense psychotherapy, and he finally broke and became "either transcendentally enlightened or schizophrenic".

Tim

#74 2015-12-15 13:32:41

twoion
ほやほや

ratcheer wrote:

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It is very long and morbid, but some parts are extremely funny. Last night, there were a couple of parts that made me choke, I was laughing so hard. One of my favorite lines so far: A man was in intense psychotherapy, and he finally broke and became "either transcendentally enlightened or schizophrenic".

Tim

One of my favourite books!

The map is not the territory.

But in terms of humour, The Broom of the System is even funnier. The end choir in the ending sequence always makes me burst into tears and laughter.

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#75 2015-12-15 17:27:03

ohnonot
...again
Website

Douglas Adams - The long dark Tea-time of the Soul

i remember casting it aside many years ago, because it isn't hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.
now i find it surprisingly funny and entertaining.
perfect literature for commuting. people are probably wondering what makes me chuckle & giggle half of the journey - then they see the author's name, and i get some knowing & friendly glances.  smile

Board footer