#576 2020-10-01 04:42:32

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Re: What are you reading right now?

phuturism wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

The Terror by Dan Simmons

Read this recently - really wanted to watch it after seeing the excellent AMC series...    pretty good, nice
historical flavour and detail.

I really enjoyed it, the show was pretty good too.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/
Dobbie's Suckless

#577 2020-10-01 06:00:01

Nick

Next-book-cover.png

Next by Michael Crichton. I also borrowed Prey, by the same author.

#578 2020-10-01 23:36:16

hhh
Meep!
Website

I think I've listened to every available Frank Zappa interview now. I learned that he scored one stand-alone TV show, Outrage at Valdez, commissioned by Jacques Cousteau. It's a completely ambient Synclavier piece, terrifying and magnificent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAAoAjY7ysU

https://www.zappa-analysis.com/outrage-at-valdez.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGy0NVx9k84

Frank was contracted, and he delivered the product.

#579 2020-10-09 14:31:21

twoion
ほやほや

twoion wrote:
twoion wrote:

I have ordered John Scalzi's The Collapsing Empire and will start on it soon. After that, I'll get Yoon Ha Lee's Ninefox Gambit. In case you're wondering: yes, I went through the list of Hugo and Locus award winners and nominees on Wikipedia again and ordered what seemed interesting. Can't wait.

Change of plans. After a fiction reading break, I'll be enjoying these four books (read the Collapsing Empire to its half point last weekend) over the next few months:

Frederik Pohl: Gateway (1977)

Scalzi: The Collapsing Empire - The Consuming Fire - The Last Emperox (2017-2020).

It also has been made known that the final book of the Expanse ennealogy is titled Leviathan Falls and will only come out in 2021. A bit of a disappointment, as I really hoped to be able to read it this year, but not entirely unexpected in its delay.

I also just ordered Children of Ruin (sequel to the much-appreciated Children of Time from 2015) as well as a secret tip I received, the The Living Labyrinth (2016) by by Ian Stewart & Tim Poston, which apparantely can only be had via print-on-demand from Amazon.

Music makes us braver

#580 2020-11-21 16:51:19

twoion
ほやほや

twoion wrote:

It also has been made known that the final book of the Expanse ennealogy is titled Leviathan Falls and will only come out in 2021. A bit of a disappointment, as I really hoped to be able to read it this year, but not entirely unexpected in its delay.

News are out: Leviathan Falls is scheduled for release in October 2021. Time to re-read all the previous books, about 1 book a month smile

Music makes us braver

#581 2021-04-14 18:58:07

ohnonot
...again
Website

We have talked about Hannu Rajaniemi before.
Now I am pleased to announce that he published a post-Covid19-SciFi story (or a bunch of them afaiu) and no other then LeVar Burton reads it.
It's a nice story that picks up the current topics of pandemic, vaccination, and possible lasting effects on humanity in a totally non-cheesy way quite worthy of the author of Quantum Thief.

And again sauna culture is a part of the story.

Kudos to Levar Burton for getting the pronunciation of Finnish words largely right (except for the name of Hannu Rajaniemi himself for some reason).

I wouldn't have half-translated hiidenkirnu as "Hiisi's churn", but I guess that's not Burton's fault.

Several islands called Junfgfruholmen actually exist, and the only one in Finnish waters isn't so far from Hanko.

Please use CODE tags for code.
Search youtube without a browser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

Board footer