You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-13 22:33:14

shadowplay

Any whiskey/scotch drinkers out there?

Never really got into whiskey, but about 3 years ago, my work mates bought me a scotch for my birthday (Lagavulin 16). I've never looked back ;-)

Right now, i'm working my way through a bottle of Oban Distiller's Edition (https://www.caskers.com/oban-distillers … ch-whisky/). Very nice indeed.

Anyone else got a soft spot for scotch? What's your "go-to" whiskey?

#2 2017-09-14 05:44:11

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Any whiskey/scotch drinkers out there?

I sometimes like Whiskey.
Scotch? Irish? Canadian?
TBH, i never really got into the different types; my budget does not allow me to habitually drink my way through various high-end brands. Instead, every now and then, I try to find something that has a good balance between price and quality.

But please, enlighten me. maybe i can make more informed choices in the future.

I don't like to drink spirits pure, but the taste of it is so good i don't want to mix it with anything.
just adding water is a bit bland.
so i settled on mineral water - a concept, i realised, that not all countries are familiar with (or at least it's not as ubiquitous), that's why i linked the german page.
i find it actually improves the taste of the whiskey.

Last edited by ohnonot (2017-09-14 05:44:50)

#3 2017-09-14 07:55:37

Steve

I don't mind a good scotch occasionally, last time i had a scotch was awhile back but it was a nice one called Jameson, just neat in winter, on the rocks in summer.

#4 2017-09-14 15:45:28

ratcheer

I'm not a big scotch drinker; I'm more of a bourbon fanatic. But, the one scotch I love is The Balvenie 15 year old single barrel. I also have a large bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label for everyday purposes, which are by no means every day. I save The Balvenie for special occasions.

Tim

#5 2017-09-15 19:27:39

shadowplay

ohnonot wrote:

I sometimes like Whiskey.
Scotch? Irish? Canadian?
TBH, i never really got into the different types

I'm by no means an expert in how the various whiskeys are made. I tend to try different ones until i find one I like.

I love the peaty/smokey Scotch ones (Lagavulin, Ardbeg). Less peaty but still very drinkable are Abalour (their A'bunadh one is really tasty) and Glendronach (these latter 2 being cask strength, meaning ~48% instead of the usual 40%, so you add some water to take the edge off it). Also Bowmore (their 18 year old) is superb.

Being Irish, I've tried a few, but think the Red Breast ones are the best. I find the Irish ones don't have as wide a range of tastes and flavours on your tongue, but that's just me.

I've tried only 1 Japanese whiskey (can't remember the name) - was OK, wouldn't try it again.

Writing it down like this makes me think I may have a problem :-)

#6 2017-09-16 04:36:11

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ i hope i can store these names away so i get some recognition next time i visit the alcohol shop (sic).

right now i'm on zero anyway; but i'm not dogmatic about that ;-)

#7 2017-09-20 14:56:27

g33zr

There are lots of great whiskeys, whether you prefer scotch, bourbon, rye, Canadian, Irish, yet great taste is in the tongue of the drinker. In my case, also in the cost.

Yes, Lagavullin is a great scotch, but expensive. Fortunately, there are plenty of decent Scotch whiskeys in the $20.00 to $35.00 range. Although I prefer peaty/smokey scotch, I find Dewar's White Label smooth and drinkable. I hear that Famous Grouse is a popular bar whiskey in Scotland. It's tasty and certainly affordable.

My favorite Irish whiskey is West Cork Black Reserve, which is also reasonably priced here in the U.S.

For bourbon, I like Evan Williams Single Barrel, but the Black Label is inexpensive and beats Jack Daniels and Jim Beam in my opinion. Another good bourbon is W.L. Weller. Oh, and don't forget Old Grand-Dad!

There are also many excellent ryes, and some of the best these days are from Canada, such as Crown Royal Rye. Among the oldest and cheapest brands on the market is Old Overholt and, given the price, not bad at all. But my favorite rye is Gordon Dickel.

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#8 2017-10-07 00:24:17

topdollar
Website

While I like the $$$ bottles, when I was younger, I grew up in Jacksonville, Florida, home of Lynyrd Skynyrd, and my older brother taught me how to drink Jack Daniels straight at the age of 15 yrs old. Florida was all about JD! Like I said, my tastes have improved over the years!

Last edited by topdollar (2017-10-07 00:25:21)

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE" -Darth Vader

#9 2017-10-07 03:50:18

zephyr
Website

^ Grew up with a still in our basement, old farm house built in the early 1800's in Ohio. Dad and grandpa made a corn sour mash whiskey from a family Kentucky recipe. Never sold it but used it for family gatherings and sometimes a good family "drunk" was in order. Don't remember much about the taste other than we got a shot when we had a cold or bad cough.
Liked Jack Daniels too while living in Northern Georgia, seemed to be the house drink.

Beer now but gin was my long term preference! : )

cheers

z

#10 2018-01-30 14:25:54

Muntic0re

I love jim beam whiskey

#11 2018-01-30 15:42:37

mynis

When I'm drinking single malt my go-tos are Glenfiddich 12 and Balvenie Doublewood 12. The latter is quite a bit tastier than the former but also considerably more expensive. The Glenfiddich is the cheapest single malt that I think is worth spending money on. I've had some $250+ bottles of Balvenie that were pretty amazing but IMO the Doublewood 12 year is already smooth and has some amazing sherry and oak notes, so there's no point in spending more than that unless you're just trying to be excessive. With standard whiskey, my go-to is Jameson.

#12 2018-01-30 17:32:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

mynis wrote:

$250+ bottles

yikes

But surely all whiskey tastes pretty much the same, no?

The buzz is certainly identical so what's the appeal, exactly?

EDIT: in my drinking days, a half-bottle of Aldi's cheapest would sort me good big_smile

EDIT2: which is why I don't drink any more lol

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-01-30 17:35:20)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#13 2018-01-30 19:40:36

mynis

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

But surely all whiskey tastes pretty much the same, no?

The buzz is certainly identical so what's the appeal, exactly?

That's not exactly true. The whole point of single malt scotch is that it has very specific notes in it that can be picked out. I can definitely tell the difference between a Scotch that has been aged 15 years vs 12 years for example. I'm big on Sherry and Oak notes, so that makes the Balvenie Doublewood particularly appealing for me since they age it in both types of casks. Even with blended scotches and rye whiskeys and the like there can be some very distinct tastes. Jonnie Walker for example is known for having fruity, spicy and smokey notes, whereas Jameson has stronger nutty and buttery notes, and some subtle spice and oak notes. IMO if you're just drinking to get intoxicated, you're better off with some Vodka or Rum or something. Whiskeys are for people that actually appreciate the taste of alcohol.

#14 2018-01-30 19:47:05

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

mynis wrote:

if you're just drinking to get intoxicated, you're better off with some Vodka or Rum or something. Whiskeys are for people that actually appreciate the taste of alcohol.

Ah yes, I think I understand now, thanks.

I've never really been able to tell the difference, that's all.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#15 2018-01-31 09:04:08

Muntic0re

I know that whiskey is very popular nowadays. I like jim beam but as for me it's pretty expensive. I decided to try to make a home made whiskey. I even bought 10 bottles on https://allinpackaging.co.uk/containers/bottle/ store and my neighbour gave me a few oak barrels. My 1st try was not successful but I learn on mistakes. Now I am waiting for a new batch.

Last edited by Muntic0re (2018-02-01 08:29:46)

#16 2018-01-31 21:03:27

cog

I like Jack Daniels and Evan Williams Bourbon.  The best bourban I've ever had is Buffalo Trace.  It's kind of hard to find though.  I've never really cared for Canadian Whiskey or Scotch.

10% of The Fishermen Catch 90% of The Fish

#17 2018-01-31 21:11:47

ohnonot
...again
Website

mynis wrote:

IMO if you're just drinking to get intoxicated, you're better off with some Vodka or Rum or something. Whiskeys are for people that actually appreciate the taste of alcohol.

my father used to say that about wine and beer.
don't get me wrong, his tastes are good, but saying it's never about the buzz and only about the taste is --- hypocrite.
in my experience not only the taste but also the buzz is different between good and not so good alcohols. definitely.

#18 2018-02-01 13:08:42

nore
>2⁹

mynis wrote:

Whiskeys are for people that actually appreciate the taste of alcohol.

No, pure vodka manufactured in steel boilers is for people who appreciate taste of alcohol. If you like those other flavours too, like peat smoke and oak, then whisky is for you.

#19 2018-02-01 15:14:07

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

nore wrote:
mynis wrote:

No, pure vodka manufactured in steel boilers is for people who appreciate taste of alcohol. If you like those other flavours too, like peat smoke and oak, then whisky is for you.

nore speaks truth, like always. Heck, even the newfangled flavoured types of vodka mostly just tease the nose and hardly leave anything on the tastebuds.

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-02-01 16:49:05)

#20 2018-02-01 17:57:08

misko_2083

nore wrote:
mynis wrote:

True, laws say limit manufacturers, that's why drinks you buy in the store are tasteless.

I used to sit by my grandparents while they were making rakija in copper boilers for destilation (we call this aparatus "kazan for rakija"). They made mostly "Šljivovica" from plums and sometimes "Lozovača" out of grapes and "Jabukovača" out of apples or even "Višnjevača" out of cherries. Name depends from which fruit is made. It was in the range from 60-85% alchohol. My grandmother liked stong rakija. smile The one's you buy in supermarket are 40% and have no taste.

Board footer