You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-12 18:15:05

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Change basic appearance -> grub-, login-, desktop-background & bl-exit

I'm not sure where to post this topic and it might not even deserve a thread (please feel free to move), but a short overview might be useful sometimes (like now when I just changed all the blue colored backgrounds to grey ones). So how to change

I. the grub (boot) background?
II. the login (screensaver login) background?
III. the desktop background (wallpaper)?
IV. the bl-exit bar color?
V. the menu dark/light theme?

I. The default background image used by grub during the boot process is:

/usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/default.png

Changing the blue version to the grey one can be done by simply copying (as root) /usr/share/images/bunsen/wallpapers/default/BL-Beam-plain-grey.png to /usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/ - rename it to default.png while renaming the original default.png to something like default.png.old and if your root system is encrypted, run

sudo update-grub

-> done! If you have a custom grub.cfg, be careful with updating grub (it's always good to have a backup of the boot partition or folder).

As a one liner (it will rename default.png to default.png.old and copy the grey background file to the grub directory and rename it to default.png):

sudo mv /usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/default.png /usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/default.png.old && sudo cp /usr/share/images/bunsen/wallpapers/default/BL-Beam-plain-grey.png /usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/ && sudo mv /usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/BL-Beam-plain-grey.png /usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/default.png

If your root system is encrypted, update-grub is required:

sudo update-grub

For a grub background it might be better to use flame-text-1920x1200-centre.png or flame-text-1920x1200-right.png, as there is no light beam on these images, so the grub-text is easier to read.

Via GUI: There is also an easy way to change that background via GUI:  Menu/System/Edit Debian Alternatives/desktop-grub

In case the root system is encrypted,

sudo update-grub

is required for the change taking effect.

II. The default login background is

/usr/share/images/bunsen/login/default.png

Changing the blue version to the grey one is basically the same as above: Copy the appropriate file (as root) e.g. flame-text-1920x1200-right.png (there might be a better one depending on the screen resolution) from /usr/share/images/bunsen/wallpapers/default  to  /usr/share/images/bunsen/login/ and rename it to default.png while renaming the original default.png to something like default.png.old -> done!

As a one liner:

sudo mv /usr/share/images/bunsen/login/default.png /usr/share/images/bunsen/login/default.png.old && sudo cp /usr/share/images/bunsen/wallpapers/default/flame-text-1920x1200-right.png /usr/share/images/bunsen/login/ && sudo mv /usr/share/images/bunsen/login/flame-text-1920x1200-right.png /usr/share/images/bunsen/login/default.png

Via GUI: Menu/System/Edit Debian Alternatives/bl-login-background

III. Changing the desktop background (wallpaper) is easy via Menu/Preferences/Choose Wallpaper. If I’m not mistaken the files are in the ~/Pictures/wallpapers directory.

IV. For changing the bl-exit bar color from blue to grey copy the directory /etc/bl-exit to ~/.config and change the following line in ~/.config/bl-exit/bl-exitrc under the [style] section to:

rcfile = grey.rc

Save. Done!

V. Originally this section was not here, but it's also basic stuff: Via Menu/Preferences/Openbox/GUI Config Tool/Theme it is possible to switch between a dark/light colored menu and choose a window theme color.

The same menu entry (GUI Config Tool) has the section "Appearance", where it is possible to choose the font style and size for windows. If someone is using the menu by bl-obmenu-generator, it's here under "Menu Item" where the font style and size for the menu can be set.

Last edited by martix (2017-09-17 14:50:42)

#2 2017-09-12 20:46:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Change basic appearance -> grub-, login-, desktop-background & bl-exit

...or you can edit /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_BACKGROUND="/path/to/some/image.png"

and about III.: there's so many ways to skin that cat. feh, hsetroot, xsetroot, nitrogen, ...

#3 2017-09-12 23:22:20

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^Yep, crucial hint, thanks! The way I presented wasn't working for me. That remark showed in the right direction: There is a file called .background_cache.png in /boot/grub. So changing /usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/default.png wasn't enough as there is

insmod png
if background_image /grub/.background_cache.png; then
  true

in /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Putting GRUB_BACKGROUND="/usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/default.png" in /etc/default/grub alone did not help either, as it seems to be required to run

sudo update-grub

After that the background (and that .background_cache.png) was finally changed. I'm wondering whether it would work only with changing default.png and update-grub without that line in /etc/default/grub.

Edit: Yep, it works without that line! So the way I presented for changing the grub background did not work because it is required to run sudo update-grub. It's added to the OP, so that method should work now for everyone trying to change the boot background.

Last edited by martix (2017-09-12 23:47:58)

#4 2017-09-13 01:27:11

johnraff
nullglob
Website

martix wrote:

There is also a way to change that background via GUI:  Menu/System/Edit Debian Alternatives/desktop-grub
Via GUI: Menu/System/Edit Debian Alternatives/bl-login-background

Isn't the Alternatives method much simpler than all that renaming? Images not already in the alternatives list can be added easily via the same galternatives interface. For grub, no update-grub is needed either.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2017-09-13 09:59:27

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Simple way to reset this to default? (Removing Debian makeup in my case)

#6 2017-09-13 12:19:22

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

johnraff wrote:

Isn't the Alternatives method much simpler than all that renaming? Images not already in the alternatives list can be added easily via the same galternatives interface. For grub, no update-grub is needed either.

I just tried the GUI. After adding a picture to desktop-grub and checking "choice" it did not do anything. Trying the same with bl-login-background (I added the grey one with logo in the middle), checked choice, but somehow it showed a dark background with no logo. Even if I tried to delete the added picture and get back the original setting, it does not show that default png (=bl-login-background, which is the grey wallpaper with bunsen-logo on the right).

#7 2017-09-14 02:29:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Sorry, I was wrong here:

johnraff wrote:

no update-grub is needed either.

Update-grub is needed for any method of changing the grub background, except editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg, which isn't recomended.

I tested the galternatives GUI for grub or lightdm backgrounds again, and it worked fine for me, and it's simple to get back to the "default.png".

For images in the list, just click the "choice" circle. Same for default.png.

To add a new image, click "Add", enter the full path in the box, or use the "Browse" dialog, click "OK", and it should appear in the list along with the rest. Then just click it as usual.

However, grub is a little choosy about jpg images, png are safer: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/10/grub-splash-image/ You won't know your image wasn't accepted till you do update-grub and reboot to see a plain blue grub menu.

When choosing a non-listed image for bl-login-background I found a couple of (jpg) images failed to be added to the list, after clicking OK. I don't know why that was (too big/small, some formatting issue?), but most images I tried were used in the login screen with no problem.

John
--------------------

#8 2017-09-14 06:18:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The GRUB image issue has come up before and @Naik claimed that updating grub.cfg was not needed if the symlink was changed:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 579#p57579

@martix, did you just overwrite the symlink?

Can anybody confirm that re-linking will alter the GRUB image without needing to  update grub.cfg?

I can't test myself 'cos I don't like `grub-mkconfig`, it's messy.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#9 2017-09-14 07:55:06

unklar

johnraff wrote:

Update-grub is needed for any method of changing the grub background, except editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg, which isn't recomended.

it depends on the specific characteristics of the respective grub/distribution on  smile

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 004#p60004

#10 2017-09-14 11:44:39

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

@johnraff Thank you for the explanation and having a look into it. Do you know maybe what method galternatives uses for changing the login background? If I've seen correctly it's a python script. I tried several times to set different .png and .jpg files as login background via GUI (just as you described) and also to get back the default, but there seems to be something messed up. I have for the login always a dark plain background, cannot change it at the moment.

@HoaS I used the "one liner" method described in the OP. In the third post above I mentioned why updating grub was needed in my case: Otherwise that cache .png file would remain the same and grub would use that. Actually update might not be needed, if I just changed that file too. I have grub 2.02 beta3-5.

I'd like to add one more short section to the OP. How to change folder color? Is this the easiest way for doing that?

As a sidenote: Some of the files in /usr/share/images/bunsen/wallpapers/default seem to be really huge. grey.png - which is a nice plain grey image - is 1.1 MB. Or flame-text-1920x1200-centre-blue.png is 1.8 MB.

#11 2017-09-15 09:19:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OK, to revisit whether update-grub is needed after changing the background image. I was playing around with grub's config process last week, so got a bit of an idea of what's going on here.

What (I'm pretty sure) happens when update-grub is run is that /etc/default/grub is sourced to get the configs and then all the scripts in /etc/grub.d are run in order. Their output is directed to /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
(FWIW I just added one to set our default text colours when the default beam image is used.)

WRT the background image, if you look in /etc/grub.d/{00_header,05_debian_theme} you can see (eventually hmm ) that after checking the various ways an image might be set, the final chosen filepath is dereferenced and the canonical filepath is written to /boot/grub/grub.cfg. (In fact in some cases the same image is written twice, by each of the above files, in slightly different ways - then I'm assuming the later entry takes precedance.)

If the real path to the new image is unchanged (@unklar, this is what you did I think), then the entry in grub.cfg will be the same after doing an image swap. It might be that in such cases update-grub is not needed ever. I'll test this a bit later and post back an edit.

If the Debian alternative selection for desktop-grub is changed, then although the filepath presented to the grub config scripts stays the same, the dereferenced (ie after following the symlinks) path will be different, and the new path will not be written to grub.cfg till update-grub is run. update-grub will report "Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png" and definitely needs to be run if the dereferenced path changes.

@martix galternatives is just a GUI front end to the Debian alternatives system, which can also be controlled from the command line with identical results. Read 'man update-alternatives' and try adjusting desktop-grub that way. You might get some hints as to what's not working for you.

Also @martix, agreed some of the wallpaper files are quite big, although "grey" for example does have some texture; it's not just plain grey, and when pixel sizes get up to modern display figures then filesizes will increase too. Still, we might have a look and see if some of them can be reduced a bit.

John
--------------------

#12 2017-09-15 13:47:58

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^Ok, I'll have to check what is happening with that login background, thanks for the hint. I have the default.png in galternatives, but it's just not using it (and nothing else I set there)

Otherwise - regarding that grub background - I guess this is what we are talking about: 00_header, lines 312-327:

elif [ "x$GRUB_BACKGROUND" != x ] && [ -f "$GRUB_BACKGROUND" ] \
	    && is_path_readable_by_grub "$GRUB_BACKGROUND"; then
	gettext_printf "Found background: %s\n" "$GRUB_BACKGROUND" >&2
	case "$GRUB_BACKGROUND" in 
	    *.png)         reader=png ;;
	    *.tga)         reader=tga ;;
	    *.jpg|*.jpeg)  reader=jpeg ;;
	    *)             gettext "Unsupported image format" >&2; echo >&2; exit 1 ;;
	esac
	prepare_grub_to_access_device `${grub_probe} --target=device "$GRUB_BACKGROUND"`
	cat << EOF
insmod $reader
background_image -m stretch `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root "$GRUB_BACKGROUND"`
EOF
    fi
fi

05_debian_theme, lines 26-28:

# Set the location of a possibly necessary cache file for the background image.
# NOTE: This MUST BE A DOTFILE to avoid confusing it with user-defined images.
BACKGROUND_CACHE=".background_cache"

and 64-158, particularly these 97-107:

# Step #5: Check if GRUB can read the background image directly.
	# If so, we can remove the cache file (if any). Otherwise the backgound
	# image needs to be cached under /boot/grub/.
	if is_path_readable_by_grub "${1}"; then
		rm --force "${BACKGROUND_CACHE}.jpeg" \
			"${BACKGROUND_CACHE}.png" "${BACKGROUND_CACHE}.tga"
	elif cp "${1}" "${BACKGROUND_CACHE}.${reader}"; then
		set -- "${BACKGROUND_CACHE}.${reader}" "${2}" "${3}"
	else
		return 5
	fi

and 160-197:

# First check whether the user has specified a background image explicitly.
# If so, try to use it. Don't try the other possibilities in that case
# (#608263).
if [ -n "${GRUB_BACKGROUND+x}" ]; then
	set_background_image "${GRUB_BACKGROUND}" || set_default_theme
	exit 0
fi

# Next search for pictures the user put into /boot/grub/ and use the first one.
for background in *.jpg *.JPG *.jpeg *.JPEG *.png *.PNG *.tga *.TGA; do
	if set_background_image "${background}"; then
		exit 0
	fi
done

# Next try to use the background image and colors specified by desktop-base.
if set_background_image "${WALLPAPER}" "${COLOR_NORMAL}" "${COLOR_HIGHLIGHT}"; then
	exit 0
fi

# If we haven't found a background image yet, use the default from desktop-base.
case $GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR in
	Ubuntu|Kubuntu)
		;;
	Tanglu)
		if set_background_image "/usr/share/images/grub/grub.png"; then
			exit 0
		fi
		;;
	*)
		if set_background_image "/usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png"; then
			exit 0
		fi
		;;
esac

# Finally, if all of the above fails, use the default theme.
set_default_theme

I might be mistaken, but there is an important question: Is the root partition encrypted?

If it is, in this case grub won't be able to read any background file from that partition without update. If I understand correctly, without update it will use either a cached file that was created earlier beginning with ".", or some other *.jpg, *.png or *.tga file the user put to the boot partition in /boot/grub. I guess galternatives won't work either without an update if the root partition is encrypted.

If it is not encrypted, these seem to be the steps for grub searching for a background file:
1. User defined "${GRUB_BACKGROUND}"
2. Pictures in /boot/grub/ (first one of those)
3. Background image specified by desktop-base
4. Image in "/usr/share/images/grub/grub.png" or "/usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png" -> which is on bunsen a symlink to /usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/default.png
5. Everything fails -> default theme.

On an encrypted partition update-grub is not needed, if someone simply overwrites that cache file on the boot partition with the desired background image or simply puts the background file in the boot/grub folder. Otherwise using some of the other methods requires update-grub.

If I'm not mistaken, on a non-encrypted system update-grub is not necessary. Am I wrong here? If not, I'll correct the OP accordingly.

#13 2017-09-15 14:22:38

unklar

martix wrote:

I might be mistaken, but there is an important question: Is the root partition encrypted?

If it is, in this case grub won't be able to read any background file from that partition without update. If I understand correctly, without update it will use either a cached file that was created earlier beginning with ".", or some other *.jpg, *.png or *.tga file the user put to the boot partition in /boot/grub. I guess galternatives won't work either without an update if the root partition is encrypted.

The image must be accessible at boot time of GRUB 2. For encrypted systems, the storage location must be selected accordingly.

^ All the work has been done here before. Unfortunately only in Germansmile

#14 2017-09-15 16:22:11

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^There are some useful hints on those pages, like setting the correct resolution of the picture (and using one with that resolution as background) makes the boot process somewhat faster (as grub don't need to scale the image). Although for setting a new background the article describes only one method: Using export GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/images/picture.jpg"  in /etc/default/grub. If I've seen correctly, no update mentioned on that page.

#15 2017-09-15 18:08:45

unklar

martix wrote:

If I've seen correctly, no update mentioned on that page.

Yet yet, updating grub

update-grub

is always necessary when its configuration files have been edited. That's what the article says.

The update-grub isn't necessary if, like here in bunsen-lab,
changing the background image in the linked path
/usr/share/images/bunsen/grub/default.png

#16 2017-09-16 00:50:41

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^Now we are getting there I guess... For the one-liner above update-grub is only required, if the root partition is encrypted. Otherwise it's enough to simply change that default.png. However it is even on an encrypted system possible to change the background WITHOUT update-grub, if someone simply puts the background file in /boot/grub/ OR overwrites /boot/grub/.background.cache.png (.jpg or .tga).

Meanwhile I figured out why my login background got messed up. I cannot say why it happened while using galternatives (could changing priority cause something like this?), but I just realized that lightdm was/is using lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf instead of lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.bunsen. Since there was "background=/usr/share/images/desktop-base/login-background.svg" in that .conf file and such a file does not exist on my system, it just showed a plain dark background. Changing the file-path there to that bl-login-background file solved the issue.

There is still the question from above: How do you change the default folder-icon color (without changing the icon theme)? Is this the easiest way for doing that? Any ideas?

#17 2017-09-16 02:20:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

martix wrote:

lightdm was/is using lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf instead of lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.bunsen.

The former is (or should be) a symlink to the latter. smile

This will change in Helium however, since lightdm-gtk-greeter will provide /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/ for config fragments, making the dpkg divert unnecessary.

John
--------------------

#18 2017-09-16 18:51:39

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^Hmmm, I have (after a fools upgrade) /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/50_bunsen-ldmgg with background=/usr/share/images/bunsen/login/bl-login-background. lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf is somehow not a symlink here and after trying out galternatives apparently lightdm started to use it. At least it's been working fine so far.

A sidenote I almost forgot: Edit Debian Alternatives has a galternatives.png in /usr/share/pixmaps, but there is no icon in tint2 with the papirus icon theme (at least not on my system). Putting galternatives.png in papirus 16x16 or the hicolor folder did not help either. jgmenu and the menu by bl-obmenu-generator show the correct icon.

#19 2017-09-17 00:48:49

KrunchTime

@martix:  The following doesn't cover everything you're asking about, but IMO it does a nice job of covering grub boot menu basics and adding a custom grub splash image.

Grub 2 Boot Menu Basics & How to Add a Custom Splash Image

I found the link today because I need to change the grub boot menu text on my laptop.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2017-09-17 00:49:10)

#20 2017-09-17 03:11:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

martix wrote:

(after a fools upgrade) /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/50_bunsen-ldmgg with background=/usr/share/images/bunsen/login/bl-login-background. lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf is somehow not a symlink here...

somehow? I just said in my last post that the symlink, and dpkg-divert, are no longer necessary in Helium.

About galternatives' icon - many small apps are reluctant to provide proper icon support, as you have already reported elsewhere.

Last edited by johnraff (2017-09-17 03:12:27)

John
--------------------

#21 2017-09-17 13:42:49

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

johnraff wrote:

I just said in my last post that the symlink, and dpkg-divert, are no longer necessary in Helium.

Probably I misunderstood something but on Helium is /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/50_bunsen-ldmgg, which is supposed to be used by lightdm-gtk-greeter?

Edit: Meanwhile I tested setting the grub background via galternatives and it works fine if I use "sudo update-grub" (since I have encrypted /) after choosing a new background. If the conclusion is correct here, this is only needed for systems with an encrypted root partition.

Last edited by martix (2017-09-17 14:54:21)

#22 2017-09-18 01:18:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

martix wrote:

on Helium is /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/50_bunsen-ldmgg, which is supposed to be used by lightdm-gtk-greeter?

Everything in /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d is read by lightdm-gtk-greeter, and all the settings merged. They can be overridden by /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf though.

Meanwhile I tested setting the grub background via galternatives and it works fine if I use "sudo update-grub" (since I have encrypted /) after choosing a new background. If the conclusion is correct here, this is only needed for systems with an encrypted root partition.

No, update-grub is needed any time the real path (ie the path you get after following all the symlinks) to the background image is changed. You can check the path set in /boot/grub/grub.cfg by the background_image command:

grep 'background_image' /boot/grub/grub.cfg

John
--------------------

#23 2017-09-18 10:47:39

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^In that case it's time to re-formulate: So update-grub is NOT needed, if the real path does NOT change - i.e. the user simply overwrites the background file that was in use - AND the root partition is NOT encrypted (unless the user uses a file in /boot/grub/ and overwrites it or .background_cache.png is in use and it gets overwritten). It implies then for galternatives, that any time a new file is added and it is chosen as grub background (instead of default.png), sudo update-grub is required (regardless whether root is encrypted or not).

Meanwhile I was testing this script for changing folder color and "mogrify -fill" works for .png files (although the end result won't be the exact color defined), but it does not work with .svg icons. E.g. in papirus there are .svg files. Although those .svg icons could be simply renamed to .png, and after that mogrify might work.

Board footer