You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-07 13:11:49

Steve

E Readers

Thinking of getting an E reader, tossing up between a Kobo or a Kindle 6 inch screen.

I want to be able to load books ive downloaded from archive.org in epub and pdf, would i be better of getting the kobi over the kindle?

Specifically this model im looking at..https://m.myer.com.au/shop/mobile/mystore/aura-2nd-edition-6in-ereader-470978830

I know i could get an android tablet or ipad but i want this for reading only, easier on the eyes.

#2 2017-08-07 14:22:32

mradovan

Re: E Readers

Steve wrote:

Thinking of getting an E reader, tossing up between a Kobo or a Kindle 6 inch screen.

I want to be able to load books ive downloaded from archive.org in epub and pdf, would i be better of getting the kobi over the kindle?

Specifically this model im looking at..https://m.myer.com.au/shop/mobile/mystore/aura-2nd-edition-6in-ereader-470978830

I know i could get an android tablet or ipad but i want this for reading only, easier on the eyes.

This may have changed, but back in the days (a few years ago) my Kindle couldn't read epub files. Had to run them through Calibre and convert to mobi, which was a pain - perhaps verify that first. There were a few alternative OS getting around that issue (such as Duokan), but it felt a bit crude and quite a few menu things were only in Chinese.
While it was brilliant for epub/mobi files, I found it quite painful to read pdfs. 6" is too small to display the entire A4 page, and jumping up and down the zoomed page was too disruptive for my taste.
Otherwise, I love e-ink devices... the battery lasts literally forever, can be read in the direct sunlight, and most important of all - forces me to concentrate on reading, as it doesn't have all the distractions a tablet has (constant notifications, etc.).

#3 2017-08-07 14:28:15

Sun For Miles

I will leave hardware recommendation to someone more up-to-date since I've had only old Kindle version, but regarding formats you can solve most if not all the collection and converting problems with Calibre. This software should allow you some more freedom in choosing e-reader on account of ergonomy and personal aestetic preference, since it mitigates supported format problems.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#4 2017-08-07 19:16:32

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

@Steve There is a great forum: mobileread (probably you knew it already). There are tons of useful info there. I cannot comment on the six inch readers as I prefer something like a 9.7 onyx boox. I used to have an irex iliad and loved it because I could take notes and also save them separately. I think e-ink devices are really great for reading, useful gadgets.

#5 2017-08-08 08:12:58

Steve

Thanks for the replies folks, im doubting the usefullness of the 6 inch now, maybe should spend the extra $ and get a larger e reader.

Still looking into it.

#6 2017-08-08 12:03:41

speedy_86

epubs can't be read by Kindle's, on the other hand you can just convert them to mobi with Calibre e-book library. I manage all my technical books there and if the epubs you download don't have DRM it should be possible to convert.
If you have not bought any ebooks from Amazon and don't plan on it I'd suggest some other ereader, as you won't be able to attach other ebook stores to a Kindle.

Calibre also allows multiple libraries so if you want to manage school book and leisure books separately you can do that (and have those libraries saved to different locations).

Last edited by speedy_86 (2017-08-08 12:04:54)

#7 2017-08-08 12:49:08

Steve

Thanks Speedy, good points and will take those into account. The Kobo is looking better and better, although it lacks some of the capability of the kindle it seems, a compromise i will have to make.

#8 2017-08-08 15:19:28

speedy_86

No problem, happy to help. :-)

Just weigh your choice wisely. In Switzerland there are not enough English ebooks (in the categories I want) in the epub book shops. That's why I chose the Kindle. If you're in the US, UK/Ireland or Australia and New Zealand (I assume) you should have a bigger selection of books in English in epub shops.

#9 2017-08-08 16:59:10

tynman

I know (from personal experience) Kobo readers definitely handle both EPUB and PDF files. (I suspect the Kindle readers probably do too.)

im doubting the usefullness of the 6 inch now

One person's opinion: 6" is fine. Easy to hold with one hand,  which tends to be less true with larger readers. The only downsize to smaller versus bigger screen is the frequency with which you need to flip pages.

#10 2017-08-08 23:30:01

KrunchTime

I would stay away from both Kobo and Kindle readers.  Get a tablet from Google or Samsung.  More useful and IMO, you are much more free to do what you want on those devices.  Get the Moon+ Reader Pro app from the Google Play store to read PDFs, ePUBS, etc.

#11 2017-08-09 08:02:24

speedy_86

KrunchTime wrote:

I would stay away from both Kobo and Kindle readers.  Get a tablet from Google or Samsung.

I'd agree with you when it comes to reading PDFs. On an ereader it's not that satisfying and at least on the ones I've had (3 regular button, non-touch Kindles and 2 Kindle Voyages) with them being only black/white/gray screens, any colour content (like graphs and such) is not that useful.
On the other hand I can get up to two weeks of battery out of my Voyage in AirPlane mode and reading up to 3 hours a day. I don't think there is any way to get that kind of battery life out of a tablet.

#12 2017-08-09 10:09:38

Steve

@ Tynman, thanks for your input.

@ Krunchtime, i have to sit in front of a computer screen most of the day and i do like to read but the samsun mobile phone is just not cutting it and i have that particular reader moon reader pro, i want to get as close to a book as i can and not having a reflective screen with blue light etc.

@ Speedy, most of the books i read have no pictures or very few, i dont read magazines and such. Just for example i am trying to read the Germania by Tacitus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germania_(book) on a mobile device its tedious, might be a bit better on a tablet but then there is that reflective screen i was talking of earlier.

Cheers

#13 2017-08-09 14:09:50

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

This is just a flyby comment, but personally after reading that Kindle erased books people paid for, like my daughter-in-law, because of a dispute over copyright, I would never invest in a device where the company can delete something from "my device" remotely if I had paid for it.

The device: Kindle, the books, of all things: 1884 and Animal Farm.  Did they really change the system?

Personally I'd go for a tablet and get a book reader on it, my wife has one ebook reader that actually simulates flipping pages of a book - day mode and night mode.

Now saying that about Kindle and one of the FREE ebook readers: Kindle.  Go figure!!

IMHO: I agree with KrunchTime: A tablet can do what a Kindle can do and more.  Mine is a cheap 8" tablet, my wife's a 10" and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 10" myself. Get a tablet with Android 6 or better and you have have better access to an external SD Card.

- - -
{looking left and right ... slyly}  I have a Text editor on my tablet and write conky with it.  smile

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#14 2017-08-09 21:45:30

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Sector11 wrote:

This is just a flyby comment, but personally after reading that Kindle erased books people paid for, like my daughter-in-law, because of a dispute over copyright, I would never invest in a device where the company can delete something from "my device" remotely if I had paid for it.

Oh, first time I read about that something like that happened. That's a shame... For such devices there is only one solution: Sell immediately (or throw it away).

Sector11 wrote:

Personally I'd go for a tablet and get a book reader on it, my wife has one ebook reader that actually simulates flipping pages of a book - day mode and night mode.

IMHO: I agree with KrunchTime: A tablet can do what a Kindle can do and more.  Mine is a cheap 8" tablet, my wife's a 10" and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 10" myself. Get a tablet with Android 6 or better and you have have better access to an external SD Card.

- - -
{looking left and right ... slyly}  I have a Text editor on my tablet and write conky with it.  smile

A tablet might have advantages but there is one thing what ebook readers are all about: The e-ink display! It's great, no tablet can reproduce that (and those battery times). And if it has to be a tablet, it's worthwhile to have a look at android alternatives like Sailfish.

#15 2017-08-09 22:03:33

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

martix wrote:

A tablet might have advantages but there is one thing what ebook readers are all about: The e-ink display! It's great, no tablet can reproduce that (and those battery times). And if it has to be a tablet, it's worthwhile to have a look at android alternatives like Sailfish.

I'll have to Startpage that "e-link", not having heard about it before.  Battery times are better?  Hmmm well why bot it's just books.

Like that 2-OS in 1 idea.  But not now ...something for the future maybebig_smile

#16 2017-08-09 22:24:43

Merlin09

Oh yes, e-ink is magic, it feels like a paper page, even in full sun, and battery life is wicked. I charge my kindle once a month, maybe less, and I read at least half an hour each day.
I like my kindle. I don't know if the kobo has a backlight, that would be a show stopper for me if not.

I convert epub to mobi with calibre, it takes only a few seconds.

No, a tablet will never have the same readability.

And for the size, 6" is good, like a pocket format paper book. Bigger is heavy and not easy to keep in a pocket, smaller would be a little too small

My two cents wink

#17 2017-08-09 22:59:39

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Sector11 wrote:

Like that 2-OS in 1 idea.  But not now ...something for the future maybebig_smile

In that story back in the time somehow some asian electronic companies failed to ship the necessary parts... On a market where there are strong competitors anything can happen...  hmm   But for that project it was surely only bad luck (*sarcastic*)

Well, long story short: e-ink only has power consumption when a page is turned, hence the incredible battery times. And it looks great, there are even ebook readers with a color display now. Screen size depends on the use-case for me: For books without pictures (i.e. no comics, newspapers, etc.) and the device will be carried around on trains, plains, etc., a smaller around 6" screen might be the better choice. For me this would be the wrong size and I really would like to test those (relatively) new A4 size devices...

#18 2017-08-09 23:55:32

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

OK, I'm going looking now...

Mind you I still prefer "real books"  Call me old fashioned, well and old too.  wink

#19 2017-08-10 04:02:12

KrunchTime

Sector11 wrote:

The device: Kindle, the books, of all things: 1884 and Animal Farm.  Did they really change the system?

Now saying that about Kindle and one of the FREE ebook readers: Kindle.  Go figure!!

- - -

Hmmm...I would think Amazon could do the same with the Kindle app, but what you've described has never happened to me.  However, there are ways to negate that type of activity.   devil  On the other hand, since it was a copyright issue, maybe Amazon had no choice, but they should have at least reimbursed your daughter-in-law for the erased books.

I remember looking at smaller Samsung tablets (8-inch?) before purchasing my Samsung 10-inch.  The smaller footprint is nice, but I didn't like the smaller display for reading.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2017-08-10 04:06:17)

#20 2017-08-10 11:58:46

Steve

Now i dont know, ive actually got an amazon account with a few books ive bought, 3 in total costing around $60 aud, having read them i dont suppose it matters but they are good books and i may re visit them in one way or another so the kindle maybe better suited to me, i think i will pull the trigger on this one here: Ebay link - Kindle 6 inch reader 8th Gen

Scrap that just re read the info and it has no backlight, not too mention year dating is a bit conflicting, 2016 or is it 2017?

Last edited by Steve (2017-08-10 12:01:01)

#21 2017-08-10 15:19:10

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

@ KrunchTime - I didn't hear if they reimburse her or not but from the article I linked to they did say Kindle did reimburse the people.  So I'm guessing they did.

When I went to get the tablet for my wife, it was a 'present' I wanted to get a different one for her, it was a different brand (Samsung; she has an Admiral ) and had more memory.  But she refused it unless I got one too.  We actually left the store to discuss that, poor salesman thought he lost a sale.  She won that argument she got the 10" Admiral and I have an 8" Philco.  If I had known then what I know now she would not have won that day.  Six months and mine has been in for repair once already, and I use it only at my computer desk.  It's a piece of Lollipop (both) junk.  The Samsung had Marshmallow.

Anyway - lets stop hijacking Steve's thread.  smile

@ Steve - I'm going with 2017.  When you click on the image that says 2016 - the url says 2017  big_smile

#22 2017-08-11 19:49:17

Temetka

I have a kindle paperwhite e-reader adn i've also had the nook glow or w/e it is. I prefer the kindle. It's nice and thin, weighs nothing and the battery lasts for weeks at a time or more depending on how heavily im using it. I bought it  a few years back and coupled with calibre to remove the DRM from the nook books and vice versa on most of my kindle books, it's been great. Cost me around $120 at the time and it has been on of the best tech purchases I've ever made. Highly recommended.

WRT to tablets, I also have an iPad Mini 4 which is super amazing. That being said, tablets offer the ability to get distracted. E-readers are great in that you can't do much of anything else besides read books.

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#23 2017-08-11 22:31:54

KrunchTime

Steve wrote:

Now i dont know, ive actually got an amazon account with a few books ive bought, 3 in total costing around $60 aud, having read them i dont suppose it matters but they are good books and i may re visit them in one way or another so the kindle maybe better suited to me, i think i will pull the trigger on this one here: Ebay link - Kindle 6 inch reader 8th Gen

Scrap that just re read the info and it has no backlight, not too mention year dating is a bit conflicting, 2016 or is it 2017?

But you really don't need a Kindle to read e-books purchased from Amazon.  You can use their reader app.  Heck, you can even read your books online, but I've never tried that.

Sector11 wrote:

Anyway - lets stop hijacking Steve's thread.  smile

Not much that has been said could be considered hijacking the thread IMO.  I think most of what has been said adds to the overall thread.  Now this is an example of a hijacked thread... devil

Temetka wrote:

WRT to tablets, I also have an iPad Mini 4 which is super amazing. That being said, tablets offer the ability to get distracted. E-readers are great in that you can't do much of anything else besides read books.

Everyone's different...I've not had that issue.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2017-08-11 22:38:08)

#24 2017-08-11 23:05:13

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Gutenberg Catalog

A site for "free" books old enough to be out of copyright.  I used to grab .txt books from there and read them in my Palm.

OK, not hijacked.  smile

Last edited by Sector11 (2017-08-11 23:12:00)

#25 2017-08-12 00:01:33

KrunchTime

Ah-h-h...the old Palm Pilots.  I had two of those; monochrome screen and then a color screen.  Talk about a dinosaur compared to what we have now...

Sector11 wrote:

OK, not hijacked.  smile

lol

Last edited by KrunchTime (2017-08-12 00:02:44)

Board footer