You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-15 22:39:04

myzomela

OpenSuse was wearing thin

Hello everyone, and this is why I'm here.

My house has mainly been a Suse house. But attracted by the minimalist approach, I tried Crunchbang - and got enthused about it - just before it died. I didn't want to get stuck with an unsupported distro, so I tried Lubuntu, tried some lightweight DEs on openSuse, but the family wanted all the bells and whistles of KDE or even - gasp - Windows. (Apostates!)

I gave in to them. I even put OpenSuse with KDE on my 11 year old Dell laptop (Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM). That didn't work very well. 36 hours ago it started having kernel panics while booting up.

I'd had enough. Bunsenlabs has been around enough to convince me that it's here for the long haul, so I've installed it on my old laptop. All good so far. If the family don't like it - that's their problem, it's MY laptop!

Our current OS tally is:
Windows 10     2 (Still not happy about this.)
OpenSuse 42.2  1
IPFire         1
Bunsenlabs     1

#2 2017-07-15 22:58:40

barnabyh

Re: OpenSuse was wearing thin

Welcome to the fold myzomela.

Crunchbang was not unsupported though as long as the underlying Debian 7 is still getting security updates as old-stable. I think it may still be on the LTS programme until March 2018 but I haven't had any updates in a while - I'm still running it.

Anyway, good choice. Leaner than OpenSUSE for sure.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang - updated as we go along. | LXDE/LXQT for Slackware

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#3 2017-07-16 10:09:05

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: OpenSuse was wearing thin

Hello myzomela, welcome to the forums!

Our current OS tally is:
Windows 10     2 (Still not happy about this.)
OpenSuse 42.2  1
IPFire         1
Bunsenlabs     1

Interesting  glasses

We have a Windows 10 instance (I don't use that though) multi-booting with Arch (for gaming) and several BunsenLabs development systems, Debian jessie & stretch on the family laptop and OpenBSD on my ThinkPad X201 (one disk, one disklabel) for anything actually important.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Board footer