You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-25 01:40:57

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Random babble about Debian 8.2 in general.

First things 1st, Mwah to the Debian devs behind this sucker. Just when think Debian can't get better, it does ! smile

Finally got around to installing it. Went with the xfce spin, deselected everything except the xfce desktop, and base utils ( cuz am feeling lazy and didn't feel like going through the whole minimal netinstall route.)

Skipped installing the bootloader and let another distro pick up on the OS. Not sure if I the chroot nonsense I went through was even necessary. Sudo update-grub from another install and wham. Minimal tweakage later and it's uber light nix goodness. Install firefox(noscript), setup custom keyboard shortcuts, enable auto-login for lightdm, disable unwanted services, lower swappiness, installed ceni (pulled in from Siduction repos, then just commented em out right afterwards) and purged network-manager and network-manager-gnome etc blahblah.

Anal edit, well, first disabled NetworkManager.service w systemd, just in case things didn't go well and needed to revert to using it. Setup ceni, reboot n tested. Yep ... was working fine afterwards. Then the purge.

The dreaded systemd gave zero problems a lil bit of google refresher course and am really liking the new init system's capabilities. Noticeably faster boot/shutdown. Not that that's all that important I guess. No problems with hardware detection/support.

So hatz off to Debian ( as usual) and since BL-Hydrogen is cut from the same cloth, don't doubt it's kickbutt gnu/nix too.

VLL ! smile

Oops, edit ... did experience one problem that was frustrating all hell outta me for awhile. Downloaded the live media for 8.2, kept dd'ing it to usb anddddd ? It wouldn't show up in my boot options for luv, nor money.

Reason ... the live media iso's are apparently setup to boot in bio-mbr/CSM-legacy support mode. Thusly flatout would not show up in the boot options. Had me yanking out hair for a bit. Eventually figured out this annoying fact and downloaded the actual install iso. Which are totally GPT/UEFI savvy and proceeded with a mostly painless install in graphical expert mode.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2015-10-25 01:53:48)

#2 2015-10-25 03:54:44

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Re: Random babble about Debian 8.2 in general.

Which btw: The aforementioned limitations w the live session iso's is/are a major impediment to trying BL-Hydrogen. Couldn't get any version of Debian 8.2 to install via live iso media w/o CSM enabled.

So no way possible to run BL scripts post install. Didn't have and didn't want CSM-legacy support enabled. Wanted only GPT-UEFI etc.

Took more than a bit of butt-pains to figure out the live iso's were doing that. The actual install iso's don't.

So no way to install BL w/o getting over that hump first. Guess it's worth noting. Corenominal might've conceded that a Debian stable based OS w kickbutt openbox + non-free or whatever enabled default has no place no longer.

No disrespect intended towards Core ... but thinking such a config will always have a place in the nixsphere.

#3 2015-10-25 04:22:04

pvsage
Internal Affairs

So what you're saying is there is a deficiency in the Live ISO builder that doesn't exist in the install-only ISOs; this is important to know.

Are you suggesting that we should build install-only ISOs as well (assuming that such builds won't require CSM-legacy), at least until the DebianLive team gets their installer patched?

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#4 2015-10-25 04:48:34

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Yeah Sage ...

It's worth noting. Took me a long time to figure out why none of the live iso's I dd'ed would show up in boot options. Couldn't install something that wouldn't show up w/o CSM enabled in firmware.

The true Debian Jessie install iso's don't have that limitation. Took me a lot of head scratching for why the usb wasn't showing up with the live session iso's, even with usb set as the 1st option in firmware.

Again noting, I didn't have CSM-legacy support enabled and such an install wouldn'tve installed in GPT/UEFI mode next to an existing win8.1 OS if I had.

Just wouldn'tve shown up. The actual install Debian iso's dont have this limitation.

So imo ... yes, worth noting. Might save some nixers some headache.

VlBL! smile

#5 2015-10-25 06:57:23

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Live build doesn't support GPT/UEFI yet. If you want to try BL out, install a base debian system with standard system utilities and then install BL using the BL netinstall option.

Here is johnraff's post on the topic:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39656

This build will be very similar though possibly not 100% concurrent with the ISO version. It does however give you GTP/UEFI support plus BL  wink

Eventually Debian Live Build will get the support as well. It just may be a bit til it makes its way into the repos.

#6 2015-10-25 07:20:48

nobody0
Disabled account

#7 2015-10-25 14:35:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

pvsage wrote:

we should build install-only ISOs as well

^ This.

UEFI support is essential these days, IMO.

EDIT: The install-only Debian ISO images are netinstalls.

The only way I can think of to add BunsenLabs as an option would be to use tasksel [1]

This has the advantage of easing upstream incorporation if BL still intends to follow the Pure Blends [2] development plan.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/tasksel
[2] http://blends.debian.org/blends/

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-10-25 17:01:05)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#8 2015-10-25 22:34:47

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Official install-only builds include KDE, Gnome, XFCE, and LXDE, so surely we should be able to build images similar to them (assuming those have UEFI support).  I wouldn't know; my mobo has old-school BIOS, but here are the images I speak of:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.2.0/amd64/bt-cd/

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

Board footer