You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-14 20:13:26

jjanderson5

problems with lightdm

Over the past year I have had trouble installing Bunsenlabs and had to spend a day or two in two cases figuring out where the problem was. In each of those cases lightdm was causing serious problems. From now on it is xdm and only xdm for me.

I'm admit, that maybe I was doing something odd to cause the problem, but I really don't think so. My impression is that lightdm is not as robust as it should be.

Jim A.

#2 2017-06-14 20:27:05

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: problems with lightdm

jjanderson5 wrote:

In each of those cases lightdm was causing serious problems.

Can you please describe the problems which you experienced, we are always keen to receive bug reports.

We certainly haven't had any problem threads about it (beyond those caused by the configuration change shortly after the Hydrogen release).

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-06-14 20:56:49)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2017-06-14 20:29:45

ector1935

Ok, everyone is free to say what he wants, but if you do not tell us at least the problems you find, it is difficult to answer you, the maintainers will also be able to check if they are bugs.
Best Regards
ops I was anticipated,sorry @heads

Last edited by ector1935 (2017-06-14 20:31:38)

#4 2017-06-16 13:48:12

jjanderson5

First, let me explain that I entered this information as feedback for you, and did not want to report it as a bug report. I wanted to let you know that I have had trouble with lightdm in my installation process. If other folks are having similar troubles, it would be worth exploring further. If it is an isolated case, which it appears to be, then it probably is not worth exploring.

Second, your responses caused me to think back, and my first problem encounter with lightdm was on Ubuntu, not Bunsenlags. My apologies for throwing mud on the wall regarding that.

However, my recent problem was with the install of Bunsenlabs on a Dell Dimension E521. When I installed BL, going through an entire install, including all my own software. Everything was working find. When I came back the next day, the PC was running, i.e. I could ssh into it, but the monitor was unresponsive and gave me a blank screen.

When I rebooted, the PC came up with the boot menu and then a blank screen and a flashing cursor.

I reiterated the process, except during the install I did a minimum install. BL was working, but reboot I get a boot menu and a blank screen. I ssh'ed into the PC and looked at 'dmesg'. Unfortunately, I did not save the output from dmesg, but it said that lightdm had core dumped.

Having had previous problems with lightdm, I tried xdm. I was able to install everything, power down/power up, etc. I did this several times. Things looked good.

Now for today. The machine is blank and I cannot ssh into it. The power is still on, but I can see nothing and do nothing. I will reboot later and take a look, but I'm not sure this PC is worth fixing. It may be time to upgrade to a newer PC.

#5 2017-06-16 13:53:37

DeepDayze

Possibly hardware issues?

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2017-06-17 01:28:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

BTW the application which reports an error is not always the cause of the problem.

A couple of days ago I had a failure to start X on a VirtualBox machine, with the error log reporting something about "lightdm failed to start". The problem was that I needed to install the VB Guest additions - nothing to do with lightdm.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#7 2017-06-17 10:40:58

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Thanks for the detailed feedback Jim.

I would tend to agree with @DeepDayze (sadly).

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Board footer