You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-30 20:02:36

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Question about proprietary video drivers. (solved)

To install or not to install, that is my question ? The Radeon open source driver has always just worked for me.

I don't game, even gnu/nix native ones, don't want 3D dragons poking their head out my screen but occasionally still wonder if I'm missing out.

Ati/Radeon is said to get along better with gnu/nix, at least Linus Torvalds hasn't felt the need to give them a 1 finger salute.

Plus its just cheap integrated graphics, not a dedicated vidcard. So now and then I consider trying the proprietary driver, fglrx.

Same time seen many folks encounter issues even messing with it. Fellows am I missing out ? Would it help things perhaps run smoother/better ?

Or is this in your (hopefully recent and/or extensive) experience one of those don't screw with it situations ?

Thanks in advance. smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-04-30 20:46:19)

#2 2017-04-30 20:07:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Question about proprietary video drivers. (solved)

I always prefer the non-proprietary ATI driver, I find that the blob only offers a marginal performance boost at the cost of stability and ~100MiB of RAM (quite a lot for the BL desktop).

Anyway, AMD have become better open source citizens recently:

https://packages.debian.org/jessie-back … deo-amdgpu

And always remember to install the firmare blob if you're using pure Debian with the open driver:

# apt install firmware-linux-nonfree libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-video-ati

https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Installation

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2017-04-30 20:38:14

twoion
ほやほや

BLizgreat! wrote:

To install or not to install, that is my question ? The Radeon open source driver has always just worked for me.

I don't game, even gnu/nix native ones, don't want 3D dragons poking their head out my screen but occasionally still wonder if I'm missing out.

Ati/Radeon is said to get along better with gnu/nix, at least Linus Torvalds hasn't felt the need to give them a 1 finger salute.

Plus its just cheap integrated graphics, not a dedicated vidcard. So now and then I consider trying the proprietary driver, fglrx.

Same time seen many folks encounter issues even messing with it. Fellows am I missing out ? Would it help things perhaps run smoother/better ?

Or is this in your (hopefully recent and/or extensive) experience one of those don't screw with it situations ?

Thanks in advance. smile

fglrx is still the only option for AMD users to get maximum 3D performance (FOSS is still…catching up…"almost there") and, for laptop users, to get decent power management and stop the device from heating up to frying pan temperatures (an older laptop of mine has a AMD card). That's true for all but the last few of AMD hardware generations; new cards might fare better with the new fancy amdgpu driver. The cost you're going to pay for fglrx is to have to test each combination of kernel and Xorg to find out if the driver works. Also, no kernel mode setting and low-res kernel TTY. You can't use Debian testing and stable comfortably.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#4 2017-04-30 20:45:55

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Thanks fellas coming from two nixers I trust, that's good enough for me. Sticking with the open source driver.

No way small performance boost can be justified with 100mb or so added overhead, my inner system resource miser would kill me in ma sleep. tongue

Sounds like a lot of risk and potential pita for too little to gain. Ok thanks again, this one's solved. smile

Board footer