You are not logged in.

#151 2021-05-17 09:37:23

Colonel Panic

Re: What browser addons do You use?

DeepDayze wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

A quick update; this probably belongs in the "other distros" thread, but I'm currently testing the RC candidate of the latest AntiX version (19.4) and it's clear that the AntiX devs have decided to use the "hosts file" solution; the hosts file in AntiX is about 2.5 MBs in size.

It's early days yet (I've not long installed AntiX) but so far it seems to work in that it blocks the stuff I don't want, so that pages load much more quickly and smoothly, whilst still allowing me to see the pages I do.

That sure is huge, but on a fast machine it shouldn't slow things down for that file to be processed each time you visit a site. Also you can review the entries every so often so that things don't get stale or new sites needing blocking can be added.

You could try copying that file over to your BL install too.

I think I spoke too soon - it's also blocking the Google ad pages (and some other Google pages too). When I've got time I might see if I can edit it to enable it to allow some of those pages through.

One good thing about hosts files is that you don't have to reboot the system to benefit from them - any changes you make come into effect as soon as you've saved the file.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-05-17 09:41:00)

#152 2021-05-18 05:51:57

ohnonot
...again

Colonel Panic wrote:

One good thing about hosts files is that you don't have to reboot the system to benefit from them - any changes you make come into effect as soon as you've saved the file.

Except that some browser require a restart.
And some browser (Chromium iirc) use their own DNS resolver!

BTW, your local hosts file is probably compiled from different sources, and you probably have the option to switch them on/off somewhere. You can choose a less restrictive setup.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#153 2021-05-31 13:42:03

glittersloth
buena piñata

Colonel Panic wrote:

I've seen NoScript mentioned in this thread, and Dedoimedo's recently put a good tutorial about it on his webpage;

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/nos … users.html

I'm still working my way through the suggestions he makes but I've already found that even checking / unchecking the boxes he recommends on the "Default" list, without changing anything else, makes a big difference (under "Default with scripting").

Looks like NoScript has evolved a lot from the last time I used it. Might need to revisit it one day (on a fresh install), now that uMatrix has been put to pasture. Looking at that guide, it looks a bit similar uMatrix's UI now.

DeepDayze wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

A quick update; this probably belongs in the "other distros" thread, but I'm currently testing the RC candidate of the latest AntiX version (19.4) and it's clear that the AntiX devs have decided to use the "hosts file" solution; the hosts file in AntiX is about 2.5 MBs in size.

It's early days yet (I've not long installed AntiX) but so far it seems to work in that it blocks the stuff I don't want, so that pages load much more quickly and smoothly, whilst still allowing me to see the pages I do.

That sure is huge, but on a fast machine it shouldn't slow things down for that file to be processed each time you visit a site. Also you can review the entries every so often so that things don't get stale or new sites needing blocking can be added.

You could try copying that file over to your BL install too.

Is 2.5MB really that huge though? Seems in line with most 'basic' versions of popular hosts files, maybe just a bit bigger (ie; basic OISD hosts is about 1.8MB). Since @ColPanic says it blocks GOOG domains by default, I reckon it's probably a combination of a few small lists - one or two for basic ad/tracker blocking, another one for Goog/FB/MS/VK/Baidu/etc null-routing, and maybe a few dozen more query loops added for QNAME minimization. Big but not unwieldy, at least compared the full-fat lists that some of the hobbyist DNS servers or DNScrypt proxies employ.

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-05-31 13:43:41)

#154 2021-05-31 17:26:37

ohnonot
...again

glittersloth wrote:

Is 2.5MB really that huge though?

I remember my /etc/hosts being significantly larger at times. 10, maybe even 20MB.
Strangely, it doesn't slow the system down one bit, but takes a significantly larger chunk of memory.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

Board footer