You are not logged in.

#126 2021-04-21 09:08:00

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Re: What browser addons do You use?

Seems like a new web is needed, something like gemini maybe, but pictures&video please.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2021-04-21 09:08:50)

#127 2021-04-21 09:09:35

Jimbo_G

@twoion With Firefox now offering an HTTPS only option, is HTTPS Everywhere still required? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/https-only-prefs

#128 2021-04-23 01:34:37

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

I remembered to copy the post before hitting Submit this time. In yer face, evil BL timeout!!
Gonna have a Guinness to celebrate this life-affirming accomplishment tonight.

Truly, you are Conan the Barbarian at this moment. I salute your victory over the Evil, Sith-ruled Forum and raise my sword to you! Hip hip, hooray!

That's right, sword. Not light sabre. Sith was just the most menacing thing I could think of in the moment.

Evil, Karen-ruled Forum, I raise my scissors after giving you a manager haircut!

#129 2021-04-25 06:59:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@${both[slothy]} many thanks for that depressing enlightenment.

All this time I'd been thinking that the hard-working Firefox devs had been taking care of the security side, and all I had to add was a new bit of cruft every now and then to revert whatever latest damage they'd done to the GUI I liked...

So now it looks like a choice between abandoning the internet altogether, going back to a text-only browser like dillo or devoting half my waking hours to keeping up with the latest tech scams. :sigh:

Make sure First Party Isolation is active - in about:config privacy.firstparty.isolate = true

Now done - thanks!
The other privacy.firstparty settings can be left at false?
privacy.firstparty.isolate.block_post_message
privacy.firstparty.isolate.restrict_opener_access
privacy.firstparty.isolate.use_site

glittersloth wrote:

Set Firefox to delete cookies upon close.

I've had Fx set to do this for the last couple of years. (As I've already said a couple of times. I thought that was the only cookie setting needed...)

turn up Firefox's Tracking Prevention to Strict in Preferences

Right now I'm using Custom, with cookie blocking at "Cross-site and social media trackers".
That could be changed to "All third party cookies (may cause websites to break)". Can that be revoked on a whitelist basis when/if necessary? How often have you found it to break sites?

I've just started using Cookie AutoDelete (thanks @twoion), whitelisted some sites, and nothing's broken so far. Maybe 3rd party cookie blocking can be left to that.

Also been using Ublock Origin (default mode) and Noscript for some time.
Ublock Origin's ability to block elements in a certain site automatically, on every visit, was a new one on me, which I'm now enthusiastically applying. Thanks @${both[ohno]} and @bronto.

Learn to use uBlock Origin in Medium Mode.

Thanks, but this is starting to look like the waking-hours point I referred to. I'll have a look anyway.

The problem is, in a world where nobody walks around wearing a low hat and dark glasses, the secret agent who does immediately draws attention to himself. We need all the privacy/security stuff to be built in and working by default.
But the money people wouldn't like that.

I remembered to copy the post before hitting Submit this time. In yer face, evil BL timeout!!

Had a chuckle when I read that - I've never been timed-out like that. But when I hit Preview, there it was. Maybe webmaster twoion has tweaked something? Anyway, luckily Fx let me go back to the previous page and the post was still there intact, so I could copy it before logging back in.

Last edited by johnraff (2021-04-25 07:13:26)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#130 2021-04-25 08:31:57

glittersloth
buena piñata

^You seem to have quoted yourself there, John.

johnraff wrote:

All this time I'd been thinking that the hard-working Firefox devs had been taking care of the security side, and all I had to add was a new bit of cruft every now and then to revert whatever latest damage they'd done to the GUI I liked...

Hah, that's brilliant comedy. Next you'll tell me the global response to Covid was about saving lives.
Remember, Firefox is alive thanks to Google's money.
We use Firefox not because its disease-free, but because it's the only one we can neuter sufficiently.

johnraff wrote:

The other privacy.firstparty settings can be left at false?
privacy.firstparty.isolate.block_post_message
privacy.firstparty.isolate.restrict_opener_access
privacy.firstparty.isolate.use_site

I believe privacy.firstparty.isolate is the master switch. The rest you enable as exceptions for specific needs. For example, if you experience breakage on e-commerce or banking systems that often open a separate tab, then you can toggle restrict_opener_access.

johnraff wrote:

Right now I'm using Custom, with cookie blocking at "Cross-site and social media trackers".
That could be changed to "All third party cookies (may cause websites to break)". Can that be revoked on a whitelist basis when/if necessary? How often have you found it to break sites?

Yes. There's a shield icon on the left of the FF address bar. You can disable it on a site-per-site basis.
Bear in mind that if you have uBlock Origin installed and configured correctly (ie; the five options under its 'Privacy' section are ticked) then Firefox won't even be doing most of the blocking. uBO will essentially be the first layer of defense. That's why I said FF tracking prevention is optional if you're using uBO in Medium mode.

johnraff wrote:

If you're using NoScript correctly (huge emphasis on 'correctly'), then FF Tracking Prevention or uBO in Medium mode isn't really needed. I personally find NoScript clunky when it comes to allowing domains and prefer uBO, but I do see NoScript's advantages. If you're comfortable with NoScript, then more power to you. If you've been using it right then you're not as exposed as you first made yourself out to be. Perhaps just continue uBO in whatever mode you're used to with maybe a couple of additional filter lists (don't forget this one) to round things off.

You can, if you desire, also employ a local hosts file (make sure network.trr.mode = 5) or use FF's DoH functionality (make sure network.trr.mode = 3) with a provider like BlahDNS (they have a JP server, always good for your IP and DNS queries to come from same region) for an additional layer. That way you can continue using uBO the way you currently do to block elements and NoScript for everything else, but like I said earlier; introducing a new element into your OpSec chain adds another potential troubleshooting point. That and there are varying opinions on hosts files and DoH, so do your own reading and form your own opinion.

johnraff wrote:

The problem is, in a world where nobody walks around wearing a low hat and dark glasses, the secret agent who does immediately draws attention to himself. We need all the privacy/security stuff to be built in and working by default.

Hence why I said that your uniqueness could also prove your downfall. I've mentioned before (somewhere on this forum) that it's better to segregate our online activity by device. Eg; for my come-fsck-me-all-you-want persona I have an Android phone for one bank which is the same bank that holds the savings account for the debit card I use for online purchases and the gmail account all the shopping related emails go to. Same phone contains WhatSap (intentionally spelled like that), Line, local Covid Contact Tracing app, grocery shopping, discount coupons, parcel tracking, etc. My ThinkPad is on a VPN full-time (because your home router/IP is compromised the day you have anyone that's not you connect their device to it; guests, wives, SmartTV, etc) for strict browsing-only (and the occasional downloading of 'Linux ISOs' from Disney inc, because ethics) with no location services and all the content-blocking I can muster. I've basically picked out multiple beds, and it's a mystery which one I'll eventually die on.

johnraff wrote:

But the money people wouldn't like that.

If the cinematic masterpiss (again, intentional) that is Godzilla vs Kong taught us anything; it's not giant Kaiju that'll destroy us, but a deranged billionaire. Save the planet. Guillotine the billionaires.

johnraff wrote:

Anyway, luckily Fx let me go back to the previous page and the post was still there intact...

Took me a while to realize 'Fx' was Firefox. I thought you had a Vim extension with some funky custom binding for Back. Yeah, Vim ruins you >_<

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-04-25 08:36:44)

#131 2021-04-25 09:14:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

glittersloth wrote:

^You seem to have quoted yourself there, John.

Yeh, thanks. It's gone now. I hit the wrong button.

johnraff wrote:

If you're using NoScript correctly (huge emphasis on 'correctly'), then FF Tracking Prevention or uBO in Medium mode isn't really needed. I personally find NoScript clunky when it comes to allowing domains and prefer uBO, but I do see NoScript's advantages. If you're comfortable with NoScript, then more power to you.

Agree NS is clunky. Get tired of temporarily permitting things all the time, just so a media window will play, grudgingly add sites to trusted list now and then. But usually I enjoy the simplified web pages I get by default, since often all I want to do is read a bit of text. In fact sometimes the mechanism that enforces paywalls etc doesn't kick in till you give the site permissions. smile

If you've been using it right then you're not as exposed as you first made yourself out to be.

I didn't mean to give the impression I thought I was in grave danger! It was ${both[ohno]}'s response to my perhaps airy dismissal of his cookie concerns (conditioned on session-end deletion) that started this sub-thread.

Took me a while to realize 'Fx' was Firefox.

Sorry, I thought that was standard.

Anyway, thanks for all the other advice - I'm sure other people than me will find it helpful.

I try to strike a balance between being careful and being paranoid, but it's tricky for sure.

#132 2021-04-25 09:38:53

twoion
一期一会

Jimbo_G wrote:

@twoion With Firefox now offering an HTTPS only option, is HTTPS Everywhere still required? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/https-only-prefs

This is excellent. Looks like it pays to read release notes wink The setting defaults to off (or maybe just because my Firefox profile is...9 years old).

#133 2021-05-02 09:11:00

Martin
Website

OK, so Firejail is not a browser add-on and maybe this post should have been posted in some other thread or even start its own but I stumbled on this while pondering safety/privacy add-ons.

Firejail for sandboxing browsers and basically anything you don't trust.

I just discovered this so I can't recommend this (yet). Anyone else have experience? Thoughts?

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#134 2021-05-02 09:59:11

twoion
一期一会

Martin wrote:

OK, so Firejail is not a browser add-on and maybe this post should have been posted in some other thread or even start its own but I stumbled on this while pondering safety/privacy add-ons.

Firejail for sandboxing browsers and basically anything you don't trust.

I just discovered this so I can't recommend this (yet). Anyone else have experience? Thoughts?

/Martin

Firejail? I'm always running applications in it if I can.

(a) copy .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications, prepend Exec= line with firejail if there's a default firejail profile available

(b) Run application in sandbox.

I'm using it most prominently on firefox, jetbrains intellij, signal-desktop, google-chrome.

I use it mostly for the purpose of hiding my private data from the software. Firefox and Chrome can only see its config files and ~/Downloads, not ~/Documents, for example, and so on, Intellij only code in ~/workspace, but no ~/Documents either, etc. Firejail can also add memory limitations (for example, let firefox only see 6G of my 8G RAM) so I cannot be DoSed by memory leaks in Firefox (happened too often).

That being said, as long as you're using X11 or pulseaudio on Linux, a sandbox escape even from firejail namespaces is easy because as soon as the client can connect to X11 or pulseaudio, it can escalate privileges/"type anywhere". firejail can also protect you from this: it can launch graphics apps in a nested X server to prevent the application from accessing your other X clients, (but you will lose accelerated graphics -- very slow) and it can simply not allow it to connect to the session/system dbus or pulseaudio. In the case of dbus, firejail also has dbus-proxy functionality, that is, it can show the application a filtered view of the session dbus.

The problem with dbus for me on Linux is that ibus, fcitx (the CJK etc input method frameworks) also connect to their clients over dbus, so ... full dbus it is.

If you need as secure as possible GUI client isolation, unfortunately, qubesOS (which does a lot more work to achieve that), macOS or Windows are the only ways to go...

firejail is mostly useful because of its many pre-defined profiles that can be quickly customized. If you wanna "firejail" arbitrary scripts or command line apps, you can also use firejail, but systemd-run --user  can cover all of firejail's magic as well (except the elaborate proxy functionalities) as firejail is, like systemd, just a friendly interface to cgroups and namespaces.

firejail is like "controlled folders" for me on Windows, just better at that specific thing.

#135 2021-05-02 15:35:40

glittersloth
buena piñata

@Martin
My setup's way simpler than @twoion's. Basically just Firefox using the default AppArmor profile for Firejail, and a virtual "home directory" for downloads and whatnot. Something like this;

$ firejail --apparmor --seccomp --private=/home/me/Web firefox

In the past I did try out bittorrent (Transmission) sandboxing and DoH related filtering with fdns - there's a guide somewhere on that firejail wordpress site - but not anymore on my current gig.

#136 2021-05-12 16:30:44

Colonel Panic

I've seen NoScript mentioned in this thread, and Dedoimedo's recently put a good tutorial about it on his webpage;

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/nos … users.html

I'm still working my way through the suggestions he makes but I've already found that even checking / unchecking the boxes he recommends on the "Default" list, without changing anything else, makes a big difference (under "Default with scripting").

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-05-12 16:34:00)

#137 2021-05-12 16:47:06

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Colonel Panic wrote:

I've seen NoScript mentioned in this thread, and Dedoimedo's recently put a good tutorial about it on his webpage;

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/nos … users.html

I'm still working my way through the suggestions he makes but I've already found that even checking / unchecking the boxes he recommends on the "Default" list, without changing anything else, makes a big difference (under "Default with scripting").

I liked noscript but had issues in the past but might revisit it and trying out those recommended settings. There should be a good balance with sites being usable vs full script blocking which can break sites and make them unusable.

Real Men Use Linux

#138 2021-05-12 19:06:25

Colonel Panic

DeepDayze wrote:

"There should be a good balance with sites being usable vs full script blocking which can break sites and make them unusable."

I agree. Dedoimedo also recommends installing UBlock Origin in conjunction with NoScript for the best experience online.

My tech knowledge isn't really sufficient to query any suggestion that Dedo makes in his tutorial, but it seems to me that there probably isn't a "one size fits all" solution for everybody. I remember a couple of years back feeling very pleased when I first discovered hosts files as a means of blocking unwanted websites, only to find later on that I couldn't any longer use the Google ads feature.

My hosts file blocked a lot of sites I didn't want, at the expense of some sites I did want being blocked as well; in particular, all the "Google Ads" pages went.

N.B. For those who don't know; a hosts file is a text file which redirects the links of any sites you don't want to a null link which you specify, so that you aren't bothered by those sites when you click on a page containing them. 127.0.0.1 is a popular choice for the null link, but I think 0.0.0.0 works as well.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/b … osts-file/

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-05-12 22:57:24)

#139 2021-05-13 01:48:17

DeepDayze

Colonel Panic wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

"There should be a good balance with sites being usable vs full script blocking which can break sites and make them unusable."

I agree. Dedoimedo also recommends installing UBlock Origin in conjunction with NoScript for the best experience online.

My tech knowledge isn't really sufficient to query any suggestion that Dedo makes in his tutorial, but it seems to me that there probably isn't a "one size fits all" solution for everybody. I remember a couple of years back feeling very pleased when I first discovered hosts files as a means of blocking unwanted websites, only to find later on that I couldn't any longer use the Google ads feature.

My hosts file blocked a lot of sites I didn't want, at the expense of some sites I did want being blocked as well; in particular, all the "Google Ads" pages went.

N.B. For those who don't know; a hosts file is a text file which redirects the links of any sites you don't want to a null link which you specify, so that you aren't bothered by those sites when you click on a page containing them. 127.0.0.1 is a popular choice for the null link, but I think 0.0.0.0 works as well.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/b … osts-file/

Hate that blocking the google ads pages via the good ol' hosts file also breaks the sites...that's how intertwined they are, even though the old school method works for the most part blocking unwanted material.

Even in Windows I was using hosts file to block spyware sites back in the day...

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-05-13 01:49:15)

Real Men Use Linux

#140 2021-05-13 01:50:10

DeepDayze

I use the adblock plus but I should try out ublock origin. Dedo's blogs should have comments where you can give feedback or suggestions, so why not post there?

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-05-13 01:51:13)

Real Men Use Linux

#141 2021-05-13 02:13:09

johnraff
nullglob
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

There should be a good balance with sites being usable vs full script blocking which can break sites and make them unusable.

I just "temporarily allow" sites as needed when a page fails to load the way I want it. Most of the time pages are quite readable with a lot of content blocked.

You can add sites you often need to enable to the "trusted" list quite easily - mine's way too long atm and needs a cleanout. I've got a couple of "untrusted" too, eg googletagservices.com and some suspicious ad agencies.

Agreed, the noscript+UblockOrigin combination seems to work pretty well. smile

#142 2021-05-13 02:20:14

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

There should be a good balance with sites being usable vs full script blocking which can break sites and make them unusable.

I just "temporarily allow" sites as needed when a page fails to load the way I want it. Most of the time pages are quite readable with a lot of content blocked.

You can add sites you often need to enable to the "trusted" list quite easily - mine's way too long atm and needs a cleanout. I've got a couple of "untrusted" too, eg googletagservices.com and some suspicious ad agencies.

Agreed, the noscript+UblockOrigin combination seems to work pretty well. smile

That makes sense, I'd then add my bank and brokerage sites to the whitelist and then temp allow some others that I don't use that often, but will play with the noscript and ublock settings to get things right in blocking the unnecessary stuff.

Real Men Use Linux

#143 2021-05-13 02:39:23

Colonel Panic

DeepDayze wrote:

Hate that blocking the google ads pages via the good ol' hosts file also breaks the sites...that's how intertwined they are, even though the old school method works for the most part blocking unwanted material.

Even in Windows I was using hosts file to block spyware sites back in the day...

Thanks for replying. I think it's possible, if you know what you're doing, to edit the hosts file so that the sites don't get broken; but I didn't know enough to be able to work out which links in my hosts file I had to comment out to let the "good" Google pages through whilst still blocking the "rogue" ones.

I haven't completely given up on the hosts file solution because it also works for browsers that don't (or can't) have NoScript installed. Seamonkey, for example (which I occasionally use) was telling me yesterday that NoScript, or at least the version available from the link below, wouldn't work in its latest version (2.53.7.1).

https://noscript.net/

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-05-13 02:49:00)

#144 2021-05-13 03:00:02

DeepDayze

Colonel Panic wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Thanks for replying. I think it's possible, if you know what you're doing, to edit the hosts file so that the sites don't get broken; but I didn't know enough to be able to work out which links in my hosts file I had to comment out to let the "good" Google pages through whilst still blocking the "rogue" ones.

I haven't completely given up on the hosts file solution because it also works for browsers that don't (or can't) have NoScript installed. Seamonkey, for example (which I occasionally use) was telling me yesterday that NoScript, or at least the version available from the link below, wouldn't work in its latest version (2.53.7.1).

https://noscript.net/

Hopefully there will be an update for seamonkey, but you might be able to find an older version that works for it.

Real Men Use Linux

#145 2021-05-13 04:07:21

ohnonot
...again

I am hoping that Raymond Hill had a good reason for abandoning uMatrix - namely that most of it went into uBlock Origin in some way.
I am now testing it on another browser, there's an expert mode that adds some UI elements that look familiar but I haven't yet figured out how to work them.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#146 2021-05-13 09:48:29

Colonel Panic

DeepDayze wrote:

Hopefully there will be an update for seamonkey, but you might be able to find an older version that works for it.

Thanks for replying. I sometimes use old versions of browsers, but in general you're advised to use the latest ones, for security reasons.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-05-13 09:49:07)

#147 2021-05-13 16:30:11

DeepDayze

Colonel Panic wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Thanks for replying. I sometimes use old versions of browsers, but in general you're advised to use the latest ones, for security reasons.

You might have to sit tight till NoScript issues an update that's compatible with Seamonkey version you have. Maybe post on NoScript forum?

Real Men Use Linux

#148 2021-05-14 14:13:24

Colonel Panic

DeepDayze wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

You might have to sit tight till NoScript issues an update that's compatible with Seamonkey version you have. Maybe post on NoScript forum?

Thanks. I could post on the NoScript forum, but I don't really use Seamonkey enough for it to be a major issue for me.

#149 2021-05-15 16:20:08

Colonel Panic

A quick update; this probably belongs in the "other distros" thread, but I'm currently testing the RC candidate of the latest AntiX version (19.4) and it's clear that the AntiX devs have decided to use the "hosts file" solution; the hosts file in AntiX is about 2.5 MBs in size.

It's early days yet (I've not long installed AntiX) but so far it seems to work in that it blocks the stuff I don't want, so that pages load much more quickly and smoothly, whilst still allowing me to see the pages I do.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-05-15 16:33:13)

#150 2021-05-16 00:18:18

DeepDayze

Colonel Panic wrote:

A quick update; this probably belongs in the "other distros" thread, but I'm currently testing the RC candidate of the latest AntiX version (19.4) and it's clear that the AntiX devs have decided to use the "hosts file" solution; the hosts file in AntiX is about 2.5 MBs in size.

It's early days yet (I've not long installed AntiX) but so far it seems to work in that it blocks the stuff I don't want, so that pages load much more quickly and smoothly, whilst still allowing me to see the pages I do.

That sure is huge, but on a fast machine it shouldn't slow things down for that file to be processed each time you visit a site. Also you can review the entries every so often so that things don't get stale or new sites needing blocking can be added.

You could try copying that file over to your BL install too.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-05-16 00:19:39)

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer