You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-25 20:04:10

twoion
ほやほや

Firefox/Chromium/Chrome/IE OpenSearch plugin for the BunsenLabs forums

The forums now serve a search plugin which supporting browsers can use to provide a "search engine" entry for the BL forums which makes you able to search the forums directly from the navigation or search bar in Firefox, Chromium/Chrome, Internet Explorer and possibly PaleMoon as well as others. Defining search shortcuts like "b" for BL (just like "g" for Google or "d" for DuckDuckGo, etc) may be supported too.

In Firefox, you can simply add the search engine by browsing to any forums page, and then, by clicking  on the green "+" sign in the search bar:
2017-02-25-205425_1920x1080_scrot.th.png
Later, you can define a shortcut in Preferences>Search>One-Click Search Engines.

In Chromium, open a forums page, then navigate to the settings page chrome://settings/searchEngines, select the entry "BunsenLabs Forums Search" from Other Search Engines and click "make default":
2017-02-25-210058_1920x1080_scrot.th.png

Other browsers surely have similar settings. You do not need to update the search engine manually; it will automatically should I release an update for it.

Maybe this little feature helps to increase some workflows. The plugin might be included in future BL releases by default, coming from a package (which is a work in progress).

You can inspect the "source code" directly here (there are no secrets): https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/bunsen-forums-search.xml.

It would be great if people could test if this works well on browsers I've not tested, which are all excluding Firefox, Chromium and Chrome [please post bug reports in the bug reports forum section].

So long.

Per aspera ad astra.

#2 2017-02-25 20:18:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Firefox/Chromium/Chrome/IE OpenSearch plugin for the BunsenLabs forums

twoion wrote:

Maybe this little feature helps to increase some workflows.

Yes, it most certainly will smile

I can confirm that this works beautifully on my BunsenLabs Helium (stretch-based) system with firefox-esr:

Helium: ~ $ firefox -version
Mozilla Firefox 45.7.0

Great work twoion, thank you very much!

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2017-02-25 20:30:06

hhh
Meep!
Website

Righteous, righteous!!!

#4 2017-04-12 02:17:24

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Finally established that this works on my heavily customized Firefox. I'm using various addons to get as close as possible to what it used to be like, and first I had to put back the search bar. Sure enough, there was the BL search. cool

Unfortunately, I couldn't find an easy way to attach a shortcut to it. This inspired me, however, to have a look at Firefox's built-in ability to add shortcuts. Open the BL forums search page ( https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/search.php ), set the options how you want (I chose to show posts, not topics), right-click the "Keyword search" field > "Add a keyword for this Search..." and I can use 'bl' in the location bar, the same way I use 'news', 'wiki', 'pkg' etc.

Firefox might be slow and bloated, but it still has some useful functionality. smile

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer