You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-08 17:19:56

Muntic0re

VPN vs tor?

A VPN gives the privacy and security while being online. Tor gives a high level of anonymity. I have read an article https://www.bestvpnrating.com/blog/shou … nd-freedom that it’s hard to select a qualitative VPN for Tor. What vpn software do you use?

#2 2016-12-08 17:46:21

twoion
ほやほや

Re: VPN vs tor?

First, decide what kind of VPN you do want:

Application-level proxy behaviour: you just want to selectively have some applications go through the VPN tunnel. You could use a SOCKS5 proxy server (privoxy, over ssh, whatever) for this. A VPN software establishes the tunnel, creates a tun device, and the proxy server channels all traffic it receives through this interface ("bind to this interface"). Drawback: Every application involved needs to support configuring a proxy. Browsers can do this, but also desktop environments (GNOME, KDE) have application-level proxy settings. Some applications nevertheless could not respect the settings depending on which toolkit/library they are using under the hood. It's patchwork.

Split-route VPN (split-tunnelling): Easiest to do with a mature IPSec VPN client such as strongswan. The VPN software creates the tun device but also manages the routing table to route only traffic going to specific networks through the VPN. This gets complex when it comes to tunnelling certain domains and suchlike as this requires the routing table to be continously updated with DNS data. You can achieve some sort of split-tunnelling by using browser addons such as FoxyProxy and push the splitting up to the application level, making the setup simpler. This approach can be even more powerful when combined with Linux network namespaces where namespaces can have separate routing tables, and applications can run in different network namespaces.

Fully-routed VPN: Just route everything that goes to the internet through a VPN. Supported by powerful tools like strongswan but also simpler tools.

Tor vs a proper VPN: Tor is slow (low throughput, high latency) and anonymizes well but gets blocked by many common internet services and businesses at this point (even some IRC networks), with a proper VPN provider or by using your own jumpbox you can maximize throughput and lower latency by paying more or choosing smart, and you'll get an untainted public IP whereby you probably can access most internet services without problems. However, be aware that popular VPN services also get blocked due to frequent abuse.

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#3 2016-12-11 06:49:05

Mailedfist

Another thing to think about is that any VPN service you use will at least have a record of your financial relationship with them and you have to trust their privacy policies. For this reason Tor (or even Tails if you're feeling paranoid) may be a better option as there are no usernames or passwords to identify you. However, it is worth remembering that Tor only helps to make you indistinguishable from other Tor users, not from general internet traffic.

"Inconceivable!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

#4 2016-12-11 10:59:38

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Indeed, if using a VPN-sevice using something like litecoin or bitcoin for payment is important.

#5 2016-12-12 00:29:54

Mailedfist

martix wrote:

Indeed, if using a VPN-sevice using something like litecoin or bitcoin for payment is important.

Or I guess you could use a prepay visa or maestro card if you buy it with cash?

"Inconceivable!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

#6 2016-12-25 00:32:14

KrunchTime

@OP:  It's not a good idea to go around spouting off what VPN service provider you use.  That may be why you've not received a specific recommendation.

Some VPN service providers will also accept gift cards as payment, but you'll pay more for that privilege.  TOR can be slow at times and and both Tor and VPN IPs are blocked by some sites.  For example, all of the IPs used by my VPN provider are blocked by the BunsenLabs forum site because of a black list the admins have elected to use.

Edit:  Additional resources for selecting a VPN service provider...

A bit dated, but still may be useful.
http://lifehacker.com/5935863/five-best … -providers

Which VPN Services Take Your Anonymity Seriously? (2016 Edition)
https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/

Last edited by KrunchTime (2016-12-25 02:52:52)

#7 2018-03-14 12:30:18

Charles_Asmus

I'm using ExpressVPN which is really great and fast VPN. I choose Express via this article where guide about the best VPN service is given.

#8 2018-03-14 13:47:02

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^I'm not sure someone could trust a list, which puts HideMyAss on the third place. It's a well known fact that they handed over data before. Quote: "Twitter accounts affiliated with Anonymous were unsurprisingly vociferous in their criticism of HideMyAss's business practices and assistance of a federal investigation, dubbing the service SellMyAss, and arguing that HideMyAss users are less likely to trust it and more likely to look for alternatives." <- This was a story about a guy who hacked Sony. It does not mean though that Express is bad, but it's better to do your homework, read about vpns and choose one based on trustworthy reviews.

Board footer