You are not logged in.

#576 2020-11-25 00:12:33

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: BunsenLabs film thread

glittersloth wrote:

... and always wears a boring Omega Seamaster.

Holy product placement, Batman! Since 1995, as advertised on the Omega website!

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/plan … james-bond

To be fair, they're bitching watches, and not at all boring if one of them is sitting on your wrist...

https://www.omegawatches.com/media/cata … 5091-l.png

Hmm, the orange highlight color seems familiar. Must be a part of my subconscious or something. And yes, those classic quarter hours. 8, 6, 9 and 12.

Sorry, your expensive watch has no 3 on it. We put the date there.

However, we'll define the watch screenshot. 10:02:45 FTW.

#577 2020-11-25 01:49:23

phuturism

hhh wrote:
PackRat wrote:

You Only Live Twice

One does not simply make Sean Connery Japanese. Cringe. Still a great movie the most boring Bond movie, but Nancy Sinatra singing the title song is fantastic.

Great use of that song in the Mad Men Season 5 finale end scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI6v858LeTU

#578 2020-11-25 09:01:20

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Just rewatched wind river the other day
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5362988/
Not bad. (I was thinking the movie would be actually better without Hawkeye half of the time though).

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2020-11-25 09:03:08)

#579 2020-11-25 17:20:51

glittersloth
buena piñata

hhh wrote:
glittersloth wrote:

... and always wears a boring Omega Seamaster.

Holy product placement, Batman! Since 1995, as advertised on the Omega website!

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/plan … james-bond

Ugh, I hate it when watch manufacturers go all faux-vintage, yellowing their luminova plots to imitate aged tritium.

Personally not a fan of any brand owned by the Swatch Group, except maybe Longines (because F1 timing screens during 1980s Senna-Prost-Mansell battles), but that they put Omega on a tier above Longines is criminal to me.

Also, any modern day "man-of-action" movie character not wearing a G-Shock is inauthentic. You really think a mechanical watch can take the shock of its wearer being thrown out windows or through walls, or the cumulative vibrations coming through the handlebars during a bike chase scene, or the magnetic fields generated by those subwoofers during the obligatory nightclub brawl scene, and still keep accurate time?

#580 2020-11-25 17:26:44

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

Also, any modern day "man-of-action" movie character not wearing a G-Shock is inauthentic. You really think a mechanical watch can take the shock of its wearer being thrown out windows or through walls, or the cumulative vibrations coming through the handlebars during a bike chase scene, or the magnetic fields generated by those subwoofers during the obligatory nightclub brawl scene, and still keep accurate time?

Well said, though Bond wouldn't be caught dead in a Casio, would he? Can't I wear a blue I.N.O.X. instead?

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Product … p/241688.1

#581 2020-11-25 17:36:11

glittersloth
buena piñata

^ Quartz is good enough, I guess. Any Military/NATO issued stock - Casio, Victorinox, Timex, Marathon, etc - should be adequate.

Oh, the other pet peeve about action heroes and luxury mechanical watches; I get that the sweep of mechanical seconds hand is way more pleasing to the eye than the tick of a quartz, but it's shit for syncing time among allies for a sting operation.

Edit:

Just noticed something here;

glittersloth wrote:

Ugh, I hate it when watch manufacturers go all faux-vintage, yellowing their luminova plots to imitate aged tritium.

What the hell is up with the bezel on that? A dive watch bezel is supposed to count to 60 with clear markers to time decompression stops. New low, Omega. New low. May as well call it the Posemaster.

Also, the original "Bond Nato" strap Sean Connery wore on his Submariner did not have grey/silver lines. They only appeared grey to viewers because of the limitations of film emulsion and post production at the time.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-11-25 17:46:41)

#582 2020-11-26 02:51:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

glittersloth wrote:

Also, any modern day "man-of-action" movie character not wearing a G-Shock is inauthentic. You really think a mechanical watch can take the shock of its wearer being thrown out windows or through walls...

And the wearer? Only some kind of android would be authentic?

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#583 2020-11-26 06:27:18

glittersloth
buena piñata

johnraff wrote:

And the wearer?

I've been thrown out a window and into a (tyre)wall before - and I'm the biggest sissified tweetybird you'll ever meet - and I'm still here.

johnraff wrote:

Only some kind of android would be authentic?

Android's a hot mess. You'll probably probably lose location services and the UI will start to jank. Will to perform a hard reset. Oh, and no updates after 2 years (if lucky).

#584 2020-11-29 01:22:41

hhh
Meep!
Website

Watching Spectre now and this is the most bor...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I will take cheesy over boring six days of the week, and twice on Sundays. So, Eight Days A Week. Boom! Beatles/Bond reference!

-edit- And what the hell is this ol' skool label thing? They used these labels in Goldfinger, I grew up with them in the seventies, they're flipping ancient...

Screenshot-from-2020-11-28-20-38-17.png

https://i.postimg.cc/85NFnNZB/Screensho … -38-17.png

OK, the movie is awful, but that's actually a decent homage to the old films.

#585 2020-11-29 07:02:53

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ Maybe they re-used some old footage? The whole thing looks ancient...

boring

What did you expect - it's only the 24th in a series that follows strict ritualistic rules.
And for this one, even the IMDB cover text sounds like the storywriters needed a breather... let's re-use some old topics, a larger threat that permeates all episodes... sounds like they're trying to turn this into a USA-style TV series.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.

#586 2020-11-29 23:14:56

hhh
Meep!
Website

ohnonot wrote:

^ Maybe they re-used some old footage? The whole thing looks ancient...

boring

What did you expect - it's only the 24th in a series that follows strict ritualistic rules.
And for this one, even the IMDB cover text sounds like the storywriters needed a breather... let's re-use some old topics, a larger threat that permeates all episodes... sounds like they're trying to turn this into a USA-style TV series.

That's an interesting, and I think accurate analysis.

#587 2020-12-04 15:53:56

glittersloth
buena piñata

Re-watched Fury Road for the [I lost count] time. Why? Because, shamefully, as much as I love the movie I never really drew the parallel mentioned in a "best movies of the past decade" feature I just read that contained this;

...because as tired as we all may be of seeing Trump in the cracks and crevices of our pop culture, this is still a movie about an aging, lecherous, vainglorious fat cat with silly hair who holds rallies for himself, commands an army of slobbering man-boy followers, and has an idiot sycophant son riding shotgun at his side.

#588 2020-12-04 15:54:50

glittersloth
buena piñata

Oh, just caught Tenet. Was alright. A good reference if you're out shopping for a dapper suit.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-12-04 15:57:35)

#589 2020-12-04 16:03:05

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

Re-watched Fury Road for the [I lost count] time. Why? Because, shamefully, as much as I love the movie I never really drew the parallel mentioned in a "best movies of the past decade" feature I just read that contained this;

...because as tired as we all may be of seeing Trump in the cracks and crevices of our pop culture, this is still a movie about an aging, lecherous, vainglorious fat cat with silly hair who holds rallies for himself, commands an army of slobbering man-boy followers, and has an idiot sycophant son riding shotgun at his side.

Featuring Steve Bannon as Coma-Doof

Not sure where Ivanka is in that movie. Maybe George Miller is secretly hoping she'll turn out to be Imperator Furiosa. He shouldn't hold his breath. Who's the guy with the bloated ankles riding the tank? That's Attorney General Bill Barr. And Tom Hardy/Max must be Mueller, a very powerful but flawed anti-hero who is anonymous at the end, forgotten.

By the way, Hugh Keays-Burn, Immortan Joe, just passed. He was 73...

https://deadline.com/2020/12/hugh-keays … 234636623/

The film preceded the current pandemic, otherwise it would be worth noting that Immortan Joe at least wears a fucking mask.

#590 2020-12-04 19:47:24

hhh
Meep!
Website

Haunted by those I could not protect.

Screenshot-from-2020-12-04-14-50-17.png

https://i.postimg.cc/RVS559yd/Screensho … -50-17.png

War Boys/Proud Boys. Potato potahto.

#591 2020-12-04 20:12:58

hhh
Meep!
Website

Mad Max: Fury Road is already five years old.

#592 2020-12-05 05:09:36

glittersloth
buena piñata

^ and still hasn't been bettered (although Sharknado did come close). Deep down, Hollywood knows that a few well-trained dude on poles and a guitarist on a harness provide more cinematic beauty than a million ray-traced superhero capes or oversaturated exoplanets, but CGI sweatshops and render farms are cheap.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-12-05 05:12:21)

#593 2020-12-05 06:36:08

cog
Developer
Website

Watching Harlem Nights.  A family fav.

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

#594 2020-12-06 08:41:21

ohnonot
...again
Website

glittersloth wrote:

^ and still hasn't been bettered (although Sharknado did come close). Deep down, Hollywood knows that a few well-trained dude on poles and a guitarist on a harness provide more cinematic beauty than a million ray-traced superhero capes or oversaturated exoplanets, but CGI sweatshops and render farms are cheap.

Re-watching Fury Road because of your praise.

Sounds emanating from actors blend into the soundtrack quite often; there's composition in the flow of the movie on all levels. It is a thing of beauty.

And, let's face it, haven't most boys dreamt up cars like the ones we're seeing? Unrealistic as many of them may be, it's nice to see. And again the sound... vroom vroom... It's like "What if there was a world where monster trucks actually made sense?"

There's a lot more good to be said, acting included, but the story, the characters... meh...

And let's not talk about saturation. Or this.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.

#595 2020-12-07 01:13:10

hhh
Meep!
Website

ohnonot wrote:

And let's not talk about saturation.

Oh, let's. I'm sick of blue and tan movies. On top of that, yellow and especially red saturation really bothered me in this film.

The story is a mess, isn't it? "We're way the frick out here. aren't we? I guess we should turn around right into the enemy who outnumber us in every way. We picked up these crusty old birds, we'll be fine."

And some of the car sequences are confusing as hell, you're not sure who the "good" cars are. Road Warrior is a better film in almost every respect. Script, plot, character arcs, world-building, car scenes, soundtrack, closure.

#596 2020-12-07 02:39:16

phuturism

Watched the first third of Tenet, have to say it was unbearable, despite the obvious professionalism of the editing, action choreography, decent acting despite terrible expository dialogue.   Just couldn't care about any of these people or whatever it was that they are doing.  I still say Memento was Nolan's best film, all downhill since then.

To be fair though, I find that well put together TV series are much more my thing now.   I find the feature length three act movie format to be stale and played out.  I only really watch "classics" for nostalgia's sake, kind of sad for me but that's how it is.

#597 2020-12-07 23:58:41

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ Nolan did Inception, right? I hated every character in Inception, I couldn't have cared less about them. There was no backstory, just a few flashbacks and a lot of whining. I tried to watch that movie 3 times, the longest I lasted was 45 minutes. Insufferably boring. One of the worst uses of a good cast ever.

I wasn't a huge fan of Memento either, but Guy Pearce did some solid acting in it at least. You could care about him a bit.

I did like Batman Begins very much, the other two less so. Anne Hathaway, though. was surprisingly brilliant as Catwoman, and I think the best casting/acting/costuming/character/role in the whole trilogy. Sorry, Joker fans.

#598 2020-12-08 06:32:33

phuturism

hhh wrote:

^ Nolan did Inception, right? I hated every character in Inception, I couldn't have cared less about them. There was no backstory, just a few flashbacks and a lot of whining. I tried to watch that movie 3 times, the longest I lasted was 45 minutes. Insufferably boring. One of the worst uses of a good cast ever.

I wasn't a huge fan of Memento either, but Guy Pearce did some solid acting in it at least. You could care about him a bit.

I did like Batman Begins very much, the other two less so. Anne Hathaway, though. was surprisingly brilliant as Catwoman, and I think the best casting/acting/costuming/character/role in the whole trilogy. Sorry, Joker fans.

Yeah, agree about Inception- all very clever but who gives a shit.   Interstellar had some amazing sequences and some human interest, but overplayed and way too long...    I'm not a big superhero genre fan so struggled to watch the Nolan batmans as well.   Tenet seemed like Inception but even less clear why I should care about anyone or anything... I didn't get to the end though, maybe there was a big reveal that tied it all together.

Memento I still have a lot of time for - I think what it says about humans reconstructing their memories to give their lives purpose and meaning was profound and the plot device to show us that was brilliant.   

The other Nolan film that I like is The Prestige - but even that is too long.

#599 2020-12-08 11:22:21

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

phuturism wrote:

maybe there was a big reveal that tied it all together.

Spoiler: No, just some ppl walking backwards, so that forward ones could do 'their job' (or vice versa, not sure). For me that science-girl with 'You have to feel it' stuff breaks the story/film. As usually with such movies the fun part is hoping the bad guys will win.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2020-12-08 11:25:59)

#600 2020-12-08 14:35:27

glittersloth
buena piñata

brontosaurusrex wrote:

As usually with such movies the fun part is hoping the bad guys will win.

Not with this movie though. At least for me. The villain was the most disappointing character (well, second to his wife, I suppose). He's got the shallowness of a Bond villain coupled with the petulance of Trump. Remember how back in school every class had at least one freckled ginger kid that acted smart and threw loud tantrums? Yeah, that's him.

I found the movie mildly entertaining, but I'm not a demanding viewer, probably because I don't watch much film these days. Didn't try to bother understanding the space-time shit. I'm not a jihadist. I avoid struggle.

I find it funny how the doomsday weapon looked it was designed by the most untalented designer ever.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-12-08 14:38:55)

Board footer