You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-12 02:35:14

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Off Topic News

Lastpass merged with LogMeIn

The consensus in the comments there seems to be it'll now go downhill. Time will tell, but just a heads-up for any other lastpass users out there.

I may end up looking for an alternate password manager if so, it's a shame, I've recommended it to so many people in the past, based both on ease of use and Steve Gibson's recommendation.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2 2015-10-12 03:47:37

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Re: Off Topic News

My favorite password manager is a notebook, then stored in an area I keep all of my other notebooks. and that's lots.

Peripheral, SBC, and router addict lmao
Keeb & SSD Discussions | GitLab

#3 2015-10-12 05:01:09

johnraff
nullglob
Website

C#Coder4ever wrote:

My favorite password manager is a notebook, then stored in an area I keep all of my other notebooks. and that's lots.

This. Just keeping my fingers crossed it will be OK.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#4 2015-10-12 06:38:59

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

C#Coder4ever wrote:

Works well for a PC, but I'd rather enter one reasonably secure pwd on my phone than many, special characters become a real pain...

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#5 2015-10-12 10:11:32

twoion
ほやほや

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Lastpass merged with LogMeIn

The consensus in the comments there seems to be it'll now go downhill. Time will tell, but just a heads-up for any other lastpass users out there.

I may end up looking for an alternate password manager if so, it's a shame, I've recommended it to so many people in the past, based both on ease of use and Steve Gibson's recommendation.

So what? Meaningless applications shall merge together into The Most Meaningless Application.

pass(1) will never be gone.

You are storing your passwords in some kind of proprietary software you „trust“ and are worrying that something might happen to it you don't necessarily agree with which you can't just change roll back later?

hqdefault.jpg

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#6 2015-10-12 12:32:16

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I'm not wedded ideologically to FOSS I can't audit the code myself just have to rely on reputation, same as with closed apps, there's no objective reason for me to "trust" whoever may or may not have audited some open solution more or less than someone who didn't publish the src.
It comes to it I can learn to use an alternate, doubt my mother can though, she'll go back to passwords.xls (more closed src software, and not even a password protected spreadsheet).

#7 2015-10-12 14:29:01

ratcheer

There are people who manage their passwords with GPG or PGP. It is open, cross platform, and it seems to me it should be very secure. I haven't tried this yet, but it is appealing and I may dive in when I have time for a project.

I currently use the old version of KeepassX. I do not really like the new version because it depends on .NET.

Tim

Last edited by ratcheer (2015-10-12 14:30:26)

#8 2015-10-12 14:32:29

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ The whole GPG/PGP is probably obsolete by now; I remember it was "the latest thing" back in the 1990s.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#9 2015-10-12 14:42:47

Unia
Octo-portal-pussy
Website

pvsage wrote:

^ The whole GPG/PGP is probably obsolete by now; I remember it was "the latest thing" back in the 1990s.

Not sure if sarcasm, or ... ?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#10 2015-10-12 14:54:28

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ NOT sarcasm.  Literally two decades old now.

BunsenLabs Forum Rules

#11 2015-10-12 14:57:38

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

And still used in a lot of contexts, particularly in Linux.

#12 2015-10-12 15:16:53

pingu

ratcheer wrote:

I currently use the old version of KeepassX. I do not really like the new version because it depends on .NET.

Tim

I think it's Keepass that depends on .NET. KeepassX.2+ uses qt4 to draw the windows, just like the older versions. The difference is that v2+  has support for kdbx files whereas the previous versions only support the older keepass kdb files.

For that reason I have been using Keepass, despite the ugliness of mono, until recently when keepassx-2 was out. It didn't reach debian repos yet though...

Last edited by pingu (2015-10-12 16:16:42)

"Chuck Norris can compile syntax errors."

#13 2015-10-12 15:49:44

Unia
Octo-portal-pussy
Website

pvsage wrote:

Yea, but it is far from obsolete. That's why I was wondering if it was sarcasm or not..  tongue

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#14 2015-10-12 16:39:21

redcollective

There's Pass "The standard unix password manager", anyone ever lived with it for a while? What's it like?

red

Knowledge Ferret

#15 2015-10-12 18:38:02

twoion
ほやほや

pvsage wrote:

It's literally the most state-of-the-art FOSS implementation of the OpenPGP standard, both in terms of featurefulness and quality (in the sense that it is perhaps the most rigorously audited and peer-reviewed FOSS implementation in existence).

The rest of useful PGP implementations is closed-source and available from beloved vendors such as Symantec, encrypt your emails now for the low price of 144€.

It's one of the most important and essential pieces of (GNU) free software in existence, in the same ballpark as the Linux kernel, GNU coreutils and perhaps bash (< random list).

#16 2015-10-12 20:37:06

ratcheer

I agree with twoion, but I didn't want to argue. wink

Tim

#17 2015-10-12 21:39:26

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@twoion:  Good to know.  I don't use it for personal communication because I don't handle sensitive data; I just remember briefly looking into it (on a Windows box) back when it was shiny and new.

BunsenLabs Forum Rules

#18 2015-10-13 08:46:00

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Mine are in a gpg passphrase protected file.
Opening the file in emacs by just
- opening the directory in emacs (which I have open all the time) using dired
- clicking on the gpg file
- entering the passphrase in the pop-up window
No need for a special-purpose program.

#19 2015-10-13 11:29:20

twoion
ほやほや

xaos52 wrote:

Mine are in a gpg passphrase protected file.
Opening the file in emacs by just
- opening the directory in emacs (which I have open all the time) using dired
- clicking on the gpg file
- entering the passphrase in the pop-up window
No need for a special-purpose program.

Same here. Except that I have a subdirectory called ~/keys where there are per-login files (forums.bunsenlabs.org.gpg, forums.crunchbang.org.gpg, etc etc). Using vim-gnupg, the files are decrypted when opening them in vim, and gpg-agent takes care of keeping the key unlocked for the next 20 minutes so subsequent access is fast(er).

I have tried converting the collection to pass(1) but there are >200 files to manually import. No thank you big_smile

#20 2015-10-13 17:59:46

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

My favorite password manager is my own brain. No really!

But there are times when that fails. For those occasions I have a simple text file with all my passwords and account info, stored on 2 separate thumbdrives, encrypted using VeraCrypt. I really only need to remember 2 passwords. The one to log into my computer, and the one for the VeraCypyt volumes.

This is only slightly less convenient to update compared to a "password manager" and I trust the security of it.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#21 2015-10-13 18:14:04

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Anaconda wrote:

But there are times when that fails. For those occasions I have a simple text file with all my passwords and account info, stored on 2 separate thumbdrives, encrypted using VeraCrypt. I really only need to remember 2 passwords. The one to log into my computer, and the one for the VeraCypyt volumes.

This is only slightly less convenient to update compared to a "password manager" and I trust the security of it.

At least with a physical notebook it's not even connected to the net.

Peripheral, SBC, and router addict lmao
Keeb & SSD Discussions | GitLab

#22 2015-10-13 20:19:48

g33zr

I use three "password managers": 1.) my aging brain, which remembers fewer passwords these days, but still retains the most important ones I use daily; 2.) a thumb drive, on which I keep my password data using keypassx; 3.) a hard copy printout of what's on the thumb drive. I use the hard copy to write down new and revised passwords. I update the list monthly and print out a fresh copy with each update.

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#23 2015-10-13 21:16:18

twoion
ほやほや

Anaconda wrote:

I do part-part. The most important passwords I know by heart: Main email accounts, web services, disk and system passwords. So far.

But for online-services, I usually generate a random password like so:

pwgen -sn1 16

and I can't be bothered to learn another wF9jmiCzkfkCXEbi-esque character sequence whenever I sign up for something sad Re-using passwords is a no-no.

#24 2015-10-13 21:33:56

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

twoion wrote:

Re-using passwords is a no-no.

I was surprised to learn that people still use one password for everything

pwgen -sn1 16 ««---»» thanks for this twoion ... I usually go nutz trying to figure out a password.

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

#25 2015-10-13 22:43:03

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

Didn't Lastpass get their muffler hacked earlier this year? Or was that 1password?

Board footer