You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-10 20:40:15

jonboy

[SOLVED] Most favourite tools for shtf

So a couple of days ago i was messing around in hbcd and it said some of my header/sectors or some other stuff was miss aligned, so trusting something made for wincrap i agreed. This was the start of another 'wish i had backed up to a goat s##t', as some of my partitions was on a logical and others on a extended partition. I automatically copied all my raw data to a separate hdd, and worked on that. A lot of hbcd and falcon4 is great for windows, (repeat i am a noob at recovery) but can we have a linux version or is partition manager the one?

I managed to pull my ole'xp and my back up files of documents etc. Tried for hours to play with the raw data i had copied across with no such luck. Being a No0b at this, until i do it again, then forget the next time around how i managed to sort it out the last time. I thought i would tackle the main  hdd.
With taskdisc i managed to pick up where from i left off and with grub doctor i was back too booting in BL.
My question is when the shtf what is your main go-to disk/programs and should we have a new one for basic f##k ups?

Last edited by jonboy (2015-10-14 14:46:19)

#2 2015-10-10 21:09:35

damo
....moderator....

Re: [SOLVED] Most favourite tools for shtf

I make partition images with `fsarchiver`, especially before a dist-upgrade or something else which is major. A filesystem recovery is simple, since I can restore it easily using a live disc.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2015-10-10 21:13:41

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

rsync & btrfs snapshots for backup, Arch live ISO & {gdisk,fdisk,parted} for rescue & recovery.

EDIT: Actually, the Grml live ISO is probably the best general-purpose recovery tool -- especially when loaded from a smartphone using DriveDroid

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-10-10 21:16:43)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#4 2015-10-10 22:10:36

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

I am using rsync with the --backup-excludes option and list the stuff I want to exclude from the backup. I rsync it to an eternal raid arrayed NAS appliance now. I for sure copy my entire home directory, as it's not that big any more due to the fact that all of my media goes straight to the NAS. Given all of that, I can completely rebuild my system in less than an hour now.

Edit: Because my brain seems to be making sentences that don't make any sense today.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-10-10 22:22:08)

#5 2015-10-11 09:13:31

jonboy

Great stuff guys will be looking into some of these, learning how to use them and make notes of how to use them.

Board footer