You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-13 08:35:16

topsweg

I have noticed that the HTTP download of Hydrogen is slow

As the topic of this post mentioned. It takes 6-7 hours to download the Hydrogen iso files via HTTP. (yes, I downloaded it via torrent instead)

I have a server with good bandwith and pretty good storage which I to mirror the "devuan" distro here in northen europe (sweden, denmark, norway, island and finland)

Is it possible to mirror the .iso files so people can download them fast over HTTP?

/ J

#2 2016-07-13 08:57:24

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Re: I have noticed that the HTTP download of Hydrogen is slow

The downloads are capped at 1250kbps IIRC per connection. If you pull with about 50kbps instead, it means that your route to the Hetzner VPS pool our instance is in sucks (I myself have that problem, but it varies greatly even between ISPs in my city).

Anyhow, there are three points here: a) The idea was to prioritize torrents anyway because it's easier to scale as we can set up extra seed boxes really fast and do not need to do much else [in fact we had an extra seedbox running for the past few days]. That means I don't care so much if the DDL is slow :> b) The main point of the DDLs is to act as a web seed to support the torrent in its early age; it works quite well in that capacity IMHO. c) We have some free capacity on asia.pkg.bunsenlabs.org and I might just be in the mood to set up a round robin and/or mirror sometime soon.

#3 2016-07-13 09:18:30

topsweg

Well, most of the time the speed is around 3-4 kbps (like the 90's) smile
However, I have a dedicated box with 2 Gbit net that could be useful. I have used Bunsenlabs since last fall and used #! before that. So it is time that I give something back smile

#4 2016-07-13 20:49:31

hhh
Meep!
Website

We also recommend torrent downloads because they can be paused and continued if you need to logout/suspend/reboot, will continue after internet or power gets interrupted, and don't need checking for integrity via a sumcheck (torrents authenticate themselves).

#5 2016-07-15 09:01:37

ohnonot
...again
Website

just out of curiosity, i started the direct downloads for all 3 .isos, and the speeds are ok.
right now, all 3 of them are downloading simultaneously, and ff says it'll take about 12min each.
i can see youngsters with attention deficits complaining, but to me this is pretty normal for something i am not paying for.

#6 2016-07-15 09:30:42

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

ohnonot wrote:

just out of curiosity, i started the direct downloads for all 3 .isos, and the speeds are ok.
right now, all 3 of them are downloading simultaneously, and ff says it'll take about 12min each.
i can see youngsters with attention deficits complaining, but to me this is pretty normal for something i am not paying for.

Peak ohnonot around 6pm (probably):

ScreenShot2016-07-15at6.29.22PM.png

Board footer