You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-05 05:13:36

hhh
Meep!
Website

Sound fix via mate-settings-daemon

For the 4th of July, I celebrated my independence from sound issues.

This is a sound fix proposal, but it won't be for everyone. I love it.

I added a minimal mate desktop to BL. Sure enough pulse/keyboard controls/mute/panel volume applet all worked fine. I tried adding a few combinations of mate components to BL's autostart, meh. I dug into the mate dependencies further and found mate-settings-daemon-pulse...
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/mate … emon-pulse

We need to install more than that. We need the settings daemon itself, and we might as well have the control center to conveniently change settings, and marco gets pulled in, and I'm bringing in mate-panel too because you'll see.

I tested this on metal and by running BL Live from an 8G USB drive.

Install the packages...

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends mate-settings-daemon mate-control-center mate-media-pulse mate-settings-daemon-pulse

Altogether it's 35 packages.

Remove the xf86 mute keybind from rc.xml. If you've been trying volumeicon with an asound.conf or .asound.rc config, disable the config as well.

In you Openbox autostart file, comment out volti, xfce4-volumed, etc... Also comment out any synclient and/or syndaemon lines.

Add 2 entries to your autostart...

mate-settings-daemon &
mate-volume-control-applet &

Save and close. Then open a terminal and disable system beep, you'll be glad you did...

sudo rmmod pcspkr
sudo su
echo "blacklist pcspkr" > /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf
exit

Logout and in.

You're slightly crippled. Open the run dialog and enter 'mate-control-center' without quotes. Since arandr and lxappearance are still installed, it's a little cluttered. If you have a touchpad, click "Mouse" with a hard button and configure your touchpad.

Click Appearance (the Mate one) and click "Customize" on the first tab. 'Controls' sets the GTK themes, 'Colors' changes colors on-the-fly with a color-picker (you're welcome, pvsage!), borders are disabled because we're using ObConf which is there in the Control Center, and set your icons back to Faenza-Bunsen-Dark. Debian uses dpkg-reconfigure to change cursors, so we can close the Customize window. The Background tab is disabled (we use nitrogen instead of mate-desktop), but there are plenty of Font options (click the Details button for more). Close the Appearance window.

Lastly, open Keyboard Shortcuts (under Other). The media keys can be customized here under Sound. Scroll down to Desktop and disable these so they don't conflict with you current shortcuts (click an entry's right column and backspace). However, you can use the Add button to create custom shortcuts for launching applications and running commands here without editing rc.xml, just be sure you have no conflicts/duplicates.

That's it. The mate-panel volume applet is there in tint2's systray, middle click to mute. You can remove pavucontrol, mate's Sound mixer is almost identical to it (in Control Center or right-click the applet). Remove lxappearance, arandr, xfce4-volumed and volti or volumeicon too if you like this setup.

I'm not asking for this to get into BL, but I'd like more options for people who are struggling with sound. So please test it!

Thanks!

-edit- Steps for creating nobeep.conf were wrong, fixed.

-important edit- If you've created an asound config file, disable it.

-edit- Dropped mate-panel, it's not needed.

#2 2016-07-05 05:32:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Sound fix via mate-settings-daemon

And here it is running on metal, 64 bit...

Screenshot-07052016-012436AM.md.png

#3 2016-07-05 16:57:51

hhh
Meep!
Website

Good news, mate-panel isn't necessary so that's 8 packages less. The package that provides the volume icon is mate-media. Bad news, mate-media still pulls in marco and mate-desktop no matter what, it's not a good replacement for volti or volumeicon.

And this solution uses more RAM. We're removing one volume applet for another, but mate-settings-daemon is between xfce4-power-manager and nm-applet in RAM usage.

#4 2016-07-05 20:37:34

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

hhh wrote:

For the 4th of July, I celebrated my independence from sound issues.

July: 1 July in Canada and 7 July here ... will play loud music  smile

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#5 2016-07-06 04:59:18

hhh
Meep!
Website

OK, so this isn't popular. Gosh, you guys don't have to yell, you can just say so. monkey

Board footer