You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-29 22:50:07

cloverskull

Hypothetical question about Wayland and Weston

Hey guys,

BL is great because it is lightweight. It is great because openbox is configured to perfection and things work wonderfully.

However, it would be super neat to have a Wayland based GUI with bare minimum xorg required compatibility libs to continue using software that requires it. It would be...fun. smile

So my question is, how hard would it be to scratch build something akin to "OpenBox for Wayland" - what would be the components and libraries required? Would it be possible to completely duplicate the look, feel, and functionality of OpenBox? I think of things like sway and its attempt to be the i3 for Wayland type solution. Seems like a neat way forward, no?

#2 2016-06-30 01:24:21

twoion
ほやほや

Re: Hypothetical question about Wayland and Weston

You can go and work on implementing an Openbox clone for Wayland based on libwlc https://github.com/Cloudef/wlc which is like GNOME's libmutter but strictly for Wayland (you can also try libmutter I guess). It's what sway is using, so you could use its code as a guide and example for using wlc.

Per aspera ad astra.

#3 2016-06-30 05:34:30

cloverskull

Re: Hypothetical question about Wayland and Weston

Makes sense. Not a terrible idea. In fact, it'd be a good way to learn. I may have time this weekend since it's a holiday (clearly I'm lame since I won't be partying haha) so maybe I'll take a crack at sketching some things out.

Board footer