You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-01 04:31:33

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Tracking Debian testing/unstable with BunsenLabs

Today I decided to try upgrading BL Hydrogen to Sid in VitualBox. So far I have only encountered 2 glitches that were easy to fix.

First I should mention that the upgrade itself was smoother than the last couple of Sid builds (xfce & cinnamon) I did about 2 weeks ago. Those threw errors that stopped the upgrade from completing and required using dpkg to fix. Note this happened even before any DE was installed. Sid being Sid, I assume that today's smoother upgrade has nothing to do with BL Hydrogen somehow being better, but rather Sid has fixed whatever caused the earlier problem. But on to BL Hydrogen.

The first thing I noticed once I was up and running with Vbox guest additions installed, was that although the srceen resolution was correct at 1920x1200, things were not rendering at the correct size. No problem, I had to deal with this on the last Sid install. Just a quick edit to Xresourses to uncomment the "Xft.dpi: 96" log out, log in, and it was fixed. Litterally only took a few seconds to do.

The second thing that did not work out of the box after the upgrade was the keyboard shortcuts. None of them were working. I had to go out to get something to eat so I shut down the Vbox and when I got back to the house and rebooted the problem had self corrected.

I have to say at this point I am really liking this and I may end up installing it to metal if further testing goes as smoothly.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#2 2015-10-01 14:02:16

g33zr

Re: Tracking Debian testing/unstable with BunsenLabs

^I was wondering how many BunsenLab users were running BunSid...please let us know how it runs on metal.

Last edited by g33zr (2015-10-01 19:45:55)

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#3 2015-10-01 14:15:11

damo
....moderator....

I think "SidLab" sounds better, personally, and matches the old "SidBang"  cool

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2015-10-01 19:46:49

g33zr

^SidLad makes sense. Are you running it next to stable?

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#5 2015-10-01 19:52:29

damo
....moderator....

g33zr wrote:

^SidLad makes sense. Are you running it next to stable?

I haven't tried SidLab yet....

#6 2015-10-01 21:17:44

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

Oooooo SidLab sounds Official!  BunSid is cool too though.

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

#7 2015-10-01 22:44:34

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Sector11 wrote:

Oooooo SidLab sounds Official!  BunSid is cool too though.

Then solution seems obvious, to me at least: call it BunSidLabs! A cool and not so official name, goes along with BunsenLabs name big_smile wink

And much better than LabSidBun devil ... this one almost sounds like 'lapsus bunny' or even 'lapsus pony' ... pvsage wouldn't approve monkey

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#8 2015-10-01 22:47:06

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

hahahah saying "LabSidBun" too fast in the wrong part of town might get your lights punched out.

#9 2015-10-01 23:11:54

damo
....moderator....

iMBeCil wrote:

.... call it BunSidLabs! A cool and not so official name, goes along with BunsenLabs name big_smile wink ....

I could go with that! cool

#10 2015-10-01 23:38:43

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

cool

#11 2015-10-02 01:15:08

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

g33zr wrote:

...please let us know how it runs on metal.

This one is going to go through more thorough testing than most of my Vbox experiments. If I do install it to metal it'll probably be at least a week, maybe longer, before I get around to it. Either way I'll document it and share whatever happens.

As to the name comments, I do like BunSidLabs for unofficial Sid based builds like this. The truth is I gave no thought to that until I read the comments here. I simply did what I always do in Vbox. I just make my username the same as whatever system I am testing, and BunSid was the first thing that popped into my head during the install. lol

Note:  I had high hopes for this build from the start, so I gave it a much larger virtual drive than usual. This was so that I can make better use of the shared folder feature in Virtualbox (and use more like my daily system) and also so I can install all of the extra stuff I usually have for daily use.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#12 2015-10-02 02:57:06

KrunchTime

Running BunSid on two machines here; no major problems yet.

#13 2015-10-02 07:28:31

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

@KrunchTime  That is encouraging news. Of course with Sid a lot depends on how much extra stuff one is trying to run. A lean bare bones system is not to hard deal with. A bloated one can be another story. So question: How bloated vs lean a set up do you have?

I need to do some heavy testing on mine mainly because of the insane amount of extra Not-in-the-Repos software I'm using daily. Without going into a list at this time, I can say that it regularly uses between 4-7 Gigs of Ram and occasionally even more. It is almost never below about 3 Gigs in use. That should give you some idea of what I demand from an OS.

Oh, my bandwidth use is pretty off the charts too. I had to go to a third party ISP because the data caps imposed by all the regular ones was way too low.

#14 2015-10-02 09:49:39

pvsage
Internal Affairs

iMBeCil wrote:

much better than LabSidBun devil ... this one almost sounds like 'lapsus bunny' or even 'lapsus pony' ... pvsage wouldn't approve monkey

Shows how much you know about the show! tongue  Some of its funniest moments involve slipping ponies.  (Also, a common fan meme is any lapsus linguae mentioning ponies.)

Come this weekend (if I'm not too busy trying to find a new digs) I hope to do two installs of the 64-bit build of Hydrogen, one of which will immediately have the Jessie repo moved to sid.  "Scary but fun" times!

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#15 2015-10-02 10:21:04

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

pvsage wrote:

"Scary but fun" times!

Yes indeed.

#16 2015-10-02 13:22:10

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

pvsage wrote:
iMBeCil wrote:

much better than LabSidBun devil ... this one almost sounds like 'lapsus bunny' or even 'lapsus pony' ... pvsage wouldn't approve monkey

Shows how much you know about the show! tongue  Some of its funniest moments involve slipping ponies.  (Also, a common fan meme is any lapsus linguae mentioning ponies.)

Guilty as charged. angel Never watched single episode.  tongue

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#17 2015-10-03 09:10:05

mrneilypops
The BL Scrot.Moe Guy
Website

@Anaconda
BunSid is on my winter 'todo' list.
I will post on my experiences soon.

#18 2015-10-03 17:03:21

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Decided to take the plunge this morning.

I am now running BunSidlabs Hydrogen as my only OS on my main box! So far everything I have tried is working, but I have not had a chance to give it a real shakedown. No glitches yet, except for a small issue with the installer. I'll think about how to write that one for the bug report section while I'm outside having a smoke.

Edit:  Done https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=174

Last edited by Anaconda (2015-10-03 17:25:34)

#19 2015-10-07 04:25:18

KrunchTime

Anaconda wrote:

@KrunchTime  That is encouraging news. Of course with Sid a lot depends on how much extra stuff one is trying to run. A lean bare bones system is not to hard deal with. A bloated one can be another story. So question: How bloated vs lean a set up do you have?

I'm pretty much running the same apps that I run on Hydrogen, except for VMware Player.  I also don't have to wrestle with AMD or Nvidia graphics cards.

#20 2015-10-07 04:56:16

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Just leave Steam alone. That ended up being a mess, lol. After it blew up my xorg.conf, I decided it's got too many grave bugs to mess with atm.

#21 2015-10-07 05:42:39

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Update: Things are still working well here. I have several things that need a java runtime environment to work. When I proceeded to install the openjdk-7 version I was warned about several bugs. After reading the bug reports I determined that some would not effect me and some might, but I decided to install.

Freenet, YaCy, i2p, and the Tor browser bundle are all working properly. The system is using about 1 Gig less Ram than it did to run all this stuff on Mint, but is also using noticably more CPU cycles. Despite that, everything seems to be functioning well after a couple of days with all that stuff running.

So far so good. No problems in real world usage. Yay BunSid!

#22 2015-10-07 06:14:24

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Gdebi is also not working for me. Not that I use it all that much, given dpkg -i works just as well.

#23 2015-10-07 09:29:42

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

I have "inherited" a hd from a friend where I am thinking of installing "Hydrogen" and do an upgrade to unstable. Do I need to do any further changes other than to set my source list to unstable instead of jessie?

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#24 2015-10-07 10:23:18

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

That is all that is needed atm. you should probably also get apt-listbugs.

#25 2015-10-07 10:58:55

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Thank you for the swift reply teknomanzr. @admins - are there any thoughts of creating a help/support section for testing/unstable?

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

Board footer