You are not logged in.

#751 2016-02-27 14:11:04

twoion
ほやほや

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

pingu wrote:

does anybody know how to make dmenu act normally in regards to completions (like gmrun)?
I can't even understand what criteria it uses to complete. It's like it just completes to whatever it "wants". I'd like for it to work more like a terminal: when pressing tab, it lists the possibilities, but only completes if there's only one possible match.
hmm

dmenu -l adds extra lines to the menu and you can select matches using the arrow keys. If you want the Tab key to also iterate over the set of matches, you probably need to compile your own dmenu after having applied a patch (self-written or grabbed off the internet). The change has to be trivial.

Edit: You need to change the case for XK_Tab around here.

Nassdachs

#752 2016-02-27 15:01:53

pingu

oh, I see. I was doing it all wrong. Didn't know about the arrow keys ops:
thanks for the tip

Last edited by pingu (2016-02-27 15:02:33)

"Chuck Norris can compile syntax errors."

#753 2016-02-27 16:00:38

damo
....moderator....

pingu wrote:

does anybody know how to make dmenu act normally in regards to completions (like gmrun)?
I can't even understand what criteria it uses to complete. It's like it just completes to whatever it "wants". I'd like for it to work more like a terminal: when pressing tab, it lists the possibilities, but only completes if there's only one possible match.
hmm

man dmenu

It displays items in alphanumeric order of the input text. Tab copies the selected item to the input field.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#754 2016-02-27 17:29:41

twoion
ほやほや

I just put this list of (F)OSS we are using at BL out there. I might add more or expand on points, for example by sharing some stuff, depending on my mood smile

The point is that all of these tools are available to anybody and are waiting to get used.

Nassdachs

#755 2016-02-27 17:41:07

xaos52
The Good Doctor

typo
in nginx item: spmamers

#756 2016-02-28 02:09:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^That's exactly what dmenu does for me. As you continue typing the options shrink. (You don't need to press tab.) At any point you can select with the left/right arrows and execute with Enter.

[EDIT] Sorry, posted at the bottom of the previous page without checking if there were any posts after that...

Last edited by johnraff (2016-02-28 03:07:37)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#757 2016-02-28 02:57:38

hhh
Meep!
Website

g33zr wrote:

I read an article the other day that coffee is supposed to help against cirrhosis of the liver.

I am curious about this study, and may increase my drinking to further test their findings. I drink plenty of strong coffee and plenty of strong beer daily. My breakfast today was 2 cups of coffee with a splash of milk, and then a dry-hopped ale (ABV 5.2%) with a hot shower.

Currently sipping Palmetto Huger Street IPA, brewed a quarter mile from my house (ABV 7.2%, strong).

#758 2016-02-28 02:58:00

pingu

yeah, that's what I never figured out. so I would press tab instead of using the arrow keys to chose the correct word I wanted, so it would complete to whatever was the first on the list and that would make me super mad. and I'ts an old complaint, so I really had a long time to figure it out... '

"Chuck Norris can compile syntax errors."

#759 2016-02-28 03:40:09

hhh
Meep!
Website

#760 2016-02-28 05:41:43

twoion
ほやほや

Go is a fine programming language; one can even make GIFs just using its standard library.

One thing about it though is moronic: no ternary operator. Literally one of my favourite things about C/C++ syntax. What were they thinking <(#;_;)>?

Nassdachs

#761 2016-02-28 10:41:52

twoion
ほやほや

I just enabled HTTP/2 on everything BL. Let's see how it goes.

Edit: Disabled again because apparently you can't have ALPN without openssl 1.0.2, and Jessie only has 1.0.1. I'm going to upgrade everything to testing ... >:(

Nassdachs

#762 2016-02-28 15:36:18

glittersloth
buena piñata

twoion wrote:

What were they thinking <(#;_;)>?

In case you haven't noticed, we never really got past the Middle Ages, as much as our "experts" would like to claim otherwise. That's why it's still all if/else; if-death-by-plague-else-death-by-impalement, if-death-by-zika-else-death-by-militant. Death either way, diff checker not needed.

#763 2016-02-28 16:30:11

twoion
ほやほや

glittersloth wrote:
twoion wrote:

What were they thinking <(#;_;)>?

In case you haven't noticed, we never really got past the Middle Ages, as much as our "experts" would like to claim otherwise. That's why it's still all if/else; if-death-by-plague-else-death-by-impalement, if-death-by-zika-else-death-by-militant. Death either way, diff checker not needed.

To a degree that's true; I think it's because pure functional programming doesn't fit the problem domains wherein most programs provide solutions very well. On the other hand, branches are a fundamental component in the control flow of programs, and if/else or switch/case statements are a way for making such cases explicit in code...albeit this tends to get verbose and bulky very fast, which is why I consider operators like ?: useful.

What annoys me about go is though that they did away with things like (it SEEMS like they did; I just started learning/using the language today):

int c;
if((c = somefunction()) != ERROR)
{
  /* do stuff */
}
printf("%d\n", c); /* c still has the return value of somefunction() if we didn't change it */

Go on the other hand...

func main() {
   var i int = 1 // make a mutable variable
   if i := 2; i == 2 { // assign 2 to the variable we declared in the function scope
     fmt.Printf("YES\n") // sure enough, the assignment worked!
   } else {
     fmt.Printf("NO\n") // never reached because we are good
   }
   fmt.Printf("%d\n", i) // i is back to 1 again. WTH: the assignment was only effective in the scope of the if-statement!
}
Unknown source wrote:

Hey let's make a programming language which improves greatly upon the C toolbox and which uses brackets {}, but just to annoy them, let's force a childishly simplified syntax and a more verbose programming style on them – because we can.

No shit Watson – `go build` will even error out by default if there's an unused variable in the code. And let's not forget about gofmt, the mobile concentration camp for sinners against the Go Coding Style Code.

Maybe I'm a bit biased here, but I really like the expressiveness of the C/C++ language...

I suspect I should learn Scala instead.

Nassdachs

#764 2016-02-29 05:15:45

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Great to see Leo win an Oscar.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#765 2016-02-29 09:36:53

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Dobbie03 wrote:

Great to see Leo win an Oscar.

That's not news; that guy is railing them in every time.

#766 2016-02-29 23:41:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

madoromi wrote:

What is news is that people give a shit that someone who's worth a quarter billion dollars from fucking acting has another award.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a … o_DiCaprio

Celebrity worship must die, kill it with fire.

@Dobbie, I know you were just being kind, but have you seen the way the Internet has blown up over this? "A happy, handsome, super-model-dating, multi-millionaire finally won an Oscar at the old, old age of 41 for his hard work... acting!" Ridiculous. Thank goodness he is a generous philanthropist and environmentalist.

Right now I'm acting really pissed. Someone give me $40 million to star in "Critters 4".

#767 2016-03-01 04:46:12

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

hhh wrote:
madoromi wrote:

What is news is that people give a shit that someone who's worth a quarter billion dollars from fucking acting has another award.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a … o_DiCaprio

Celebrity worship must die, kill it with fire.

@Dobbie, I know you were just being kind, but have you seen the way the Internet has blown up over this? "A happy, handsome, super-model-dating, multi-millionaire finally won an Oscar at the old, old age of 41 for his hard work... acting!" Ridiculous. Thank goodness he is a generous philanthropist and environmentalist.

Right now I'm acting really pissed. Someone give me $40 million to star in "Critters 4".

I mentioned it because I am a huge fan I was glad to see his peers recognise him.  I knew the internet would get in a tiz over this and it happened.

Regardless, I rate the guy and I loved his speech.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#768 2016-03-01 07:20:42

dot|not
Website

Leonardo diCaprio not receiving an Oscar was a meme, it has been an joke for nearly half a decade, a joke even mainstream media has eventually picked up. Of course there is attention when that joke finally dies.

Say whatever you want about Hollywood and acting-culture, but it's a damn hard job, one I wouldn't want to do, even if it comes with money and attractive copies of the other sex. I'm not particularly fond of him, but he's been continously doing a good job at his job - which is acting, and that for years. So, good on him for finally getting 'official' recognition. Stop being that jealous for no real reason.

#769 2016-03-01 08:58:14

hhh
Meep!
Website

I'm not jealous, I'm repulsed. Media award shows are just awful, and the Oscars sets the tone by being the worst.

http://www.businessinsider.com/oscars-s … tos-2016-2
http://www.missmalini.com/2016/02/29/oo … -how-much/

Why does Leo become a meme but Glenn Close doesn't? I'll tell you why... it's because Leo is prettier.
https://twitter.com/Bernard_Xbox/status … =twsrc^tfw

By the way, one name... Gary Oldman.

So, good on him for finally getting 'official' recognition.

I guess you didn't click my Wikipedia link showing his many award nominations and wins.

#770 2016-03-01 10:03:30

dot|not
Website

I'm not jealous, I'm repulsed. Media award shows are just awful, and the Oscars sets the tone by being the worst.

At no point did I say anything that was in any way opposing to that. I said I was glad he got a prestigious award, not that the award shows are any good.

By the way, one name... Gary Oldman.

I'd like to see him receiving an Oscar too. Your point?

I guess you didn't click my Wikipedia link showing his many award nominations and wins.

I took the time to read about him again after I read that he was given an Oscar. And all I saw was a shit-ton of nominations, very few actual wins. I've been nominated for a lot of stuff. That's not the same as getting anything. And besides, again, .. who cares?

#771 2016-03-01 11:55:14

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hhh wrote:

Why does Leo become a meme but Glenn Close doesn't? I'll tell you why... it's because Leo is prettier.

Here I gotta agree - Leo is possibly the prettiest person alive.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#772 2016-03-01 14:27:48

twoion
ほやほや

Nowadays it's impossible to even have a mildly serious security vulnerability without naming it. Let's go and DROWN!

Soo...upgrade your openssl libs.

BTW BL uses a secure TLS configuration. I'm considering turning off TLSv1.0 also…

2016-03-01-232527_860x510_scrot.th.png

Nassdachs

#773 2016-03-01 14:55:01

dot|not
Website

And since 'DROWN' (I hate this naming thing.) isn't enough: Cachebleed.

#774 2016-03-01 15:12:55

twoion
ほやほや

dot|not wrote:

And since 'DROWN' (I hate this naming thing.) isn't enough: Cachebleed.

Our attack code does not work on Intel Haswell processors, where, apparently, cache-bank conflicts are no longer an issue.

Well I'm still good!

Nassdachs

#775 2016-03-01 15:21:24

photonucleon
Thursday

These forum titles:

1456845532.png

And this:

1456845647.jpg

The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

Board footer