You are not logged in.

#4226 2022-01-11 18:38:41

Colonel Panic

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Favourite cheeses; mostly British ones for me, either a good Cheddar from England's West Country or White Fox from the English county of Shropshire when I can get it (it's produced in much smaller quantities than Cheddar and is difficult to get hold of at the moment).

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2022-01-12 00:12:17)

#4227 2022-01-13 20:34:57

misko_2083

Currently -8° on Celsius scales, Serbian New Year Eve.
According to Byzantine calendar year 7530.

Last edited by misko_2083 (2022-01-13 20:35:41)

They use force, to make you do, what the deciders, have decided you must do!

#4228 2022-01-13 22:15:58

Martin
Website

misko_2083 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Celsius

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#4229 2022-01-13 22:50:44

misko_2083

Martin wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Celsius

/Martin

Hey Martin, sorry I don't get it. big_smile
I know everything about physics and chemistry but fail to read people's minds.
Happy New Year! (by Julian calendar)

#4230 2022-01-14 14:03:17

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

misko_2083 wrote:

Happy New Year - one day late, but still Happy New Year!

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#4231 2022-01-14 19:49:33

misko_2083

Sector11 wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

Happy New Year - one day late, but still Happy New Year!

Thanks, it's fine up to two weeks to be late, after that I start to worry. big_smile

Outside it looks foggy in the morning eOrahBCt.jpg
At night view is clear
P3R3avEt.jpg

Last edited by misko_2083 (2022-01-14 19:51:42)

#4232 2022-01-16 16:08:00

misko_2083

I've heard about the shame of Australia today.
The politicians shamed an entire nation.
Novak Djoković was declared "a threat to the public", public enemy number one, and expelled from Australia.
So he will not be competing in Australian (not) Open.
He always had the most humane approach.
Donated a lot for to children of Australia and the world.
When there were the worst fires in Australia he donated and cared about the people in need.
You have to respect his stand that every human body has autonomy.
That every human has a choice what to do with own body.
I have sensed some years ago that the Australian government is authoritarian.
Spying on every citizen and forcing them to comply, oh wait in Australia there are no citizens, everyone is a subject.
No matter what you do or say the political elite has the last rubber bullet. That is until the switch to the live rounds.

#4233 2022-01-16 16:55:25

twoion
一期一会

^ What's amusing is that a former prison colony that was hard to leave is nowadays hard to enter smile

#4234 2022-01-16 21:36:34

misko_2083

It depends where do people come from. Some players entered with medical exception without any problems. Some had to play this political game.

They have tested negative so every player should play. Not fair to target someone for political points right before the elections in that country.

Mod: Removed dead image hotlinks

Last edited by twoion (2022-01-17 10:13:59)

#4235 2022-01-17 09:37:42

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

misko_2083 wrote:

Novak Djoković was declared "a threat to the public", public enemy number one, and expelled from Australia.
When there were the worst fires in Australia he donated and cared about the people in need.
Spying on every citizen and forcing them to comply, oh wait in Australia there are no citizens, everyone is a subject.
No matter what you do or say the political elite has the last rubber bullet. That is until the switch to the live rounds.

That hits the nail on the head.
You should add that the elites are the financial and pharmaceutical industries and the politicians are their actors.

But, this you know. wink

#4236 2022-01-18 20:45:59

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

unklar wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

You should add that the elites are the financial and pharmaceutical industries and the politicians are their actors.

But, this you know. wink

I'm taking my mod hat off for this post, because it's Off Topic and I feel very strongly about it. Offensive language {has been edited out} and harsh criticism ahead...

I disagree with all of this (except for the corporate oligarchy part, but even that you've gotten wrong). He is a threat to everyone in the tennis stadium, the airport, the limo, the restaurant, the hotel lobby. The general public, every time he exhales. Get the {edit} vaccine. Autonomous human body, he's not flipping pregnant or trying to transition his gender, it's a {edit} two-year-old pandemic in it's third wave. 4 years and we'll still be dealing with it because of idiots like him and those who agree with him {edit}. 5.5 million dead worldwide and still going strong. Da {edit} you arguing about? His philanthropy and philosophy?!?? LOOK AT THE {edit} DATA!

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+w … nt=gws-wiz

He's a multi-millionaire. Hunker down in a hotel for a week with hookers and room service and get the vaccine, you moron. No, he's going to jeopardize his whole career over this, when he's at the top of his game and not getting younger (isn't he 33 or so?) No grand slam, losing sponsors left and right, no French Open, he might not get to play in {edit} Spain, my god what an idiot.

He's a nutbag, a science denier. No vaccines, he thinks Bosnia has "energy pyramids", he thinks prayer cures toxic food and water. The Pope has acknowledged science more than this {edit}.

May he continue his philanthropy until he is broke, it'll be his legacy. Go Nadal.

-----------------------
MOD HAT ON!
Left the criticism - that is your right
Edited out the bad language that changed nothing in the meaning of what you said.
Edited out a personal insult to two of our members.

General guidelines in part

• Be excellent to each other!

• Do not use abusive or obscene language.

• Ad-hominem attacks are not allowed.

• Be patient and tactful towards other members.

Last edited by Sector11 (2022-01-19 13:24:30)

Does your physical disability preclude you from coming to the point?

#4237 2022-01-18 23:41:38

rbh

We know that cooperation is the prime factor of human evolution.

Unregulated capitalism is the opposite of cooperation.

Linux, Debian and BL is for cooperation.

Yes, it is true that many politicians love unregulated capitalism. But far from all! Most want to regulate capitalism to some extent and some want to promote community bussines, coopperateive bussines and some want to

Many people love to spinn conspiracy theories around Banks, aleged pedophile Democrats and Big Pharma and some wants to forbid private corporation ...

The opoid crise and now the corona pandemi, has learned, that we need to cooperate better.

I have no problem with antivaccers denying the flushot if they stay at home or put on an spacesuit if they visit populated places. So, no shame on Australia.
Australia did not say that he was a public enemy. Correct quote is:

Wall Street Journal wrote:

“Mr. Djokovic’s presence in Australia may pose a health risk to the Australian community in that his presence in Australia may foster antivaccination sentiment,” Hawke said in a document detailing his decision.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/australia- … 1642223036

They have had much trouble with violent demonstrations about the vaccin..

Can we comunicate in the spirit of the debian social contract?

Last edited by rbh (2022-01-18 23:43:48)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#4238 2022-01-19 09:40:07

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

big_smile  big_smile

Hello @hhh,

come down again from your high horse.
You have by no means understood the meaning of the post. Both misko_2083, as well as I, have grown up in a social system, which you do not know at all.

And, there is a difference between what we were told then on the part of the "West" and what we experience here today on a daily basis.

#4239 2022-01-19 13:52:07

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Novak Djoković
- great tennis player.
- great human being.  See: Off the Court

Do I agree with Australia.  I use to until I read what rbh quoted from the WSJ that I cannot read:

Wall Street Journal wrote:

“Mr. Djokovic’s presence in Australia may pose a health risk to the Australian community in that his presence in Australia may foster antivaccination sentiment,” Hawke said in a document detailing his decision.

Now not so much.  IMHO they revoked his visa for political reasons, if that quote is correct, not medical or scientific reasons.  He tested negative, he was already IN the country.

Like there isn't already an "antivaccination sentiment" world wide and a LOT of medical reasons to back that up.  I have a few friends in the medical field, doctors, nurses and one family member that works in a lab dealing with the virus.

Here's my take: The governments of the world, all of them, are in many respects pulling the wool over our eyes in order to control us and ensure their political survival.

YES!  That are absolutely great reason to get the vaccine. High Risk people like me, my wife and my mother-in-law.  There are people that never got the vaccine, and have survived so far by looking after themselves, distance, wearing a mask, using soap, and alcohol etc. and as one nurse told me are building up their natural immune systems with the weakened omicron.  AND YES, they run the risk of dying from it as well.

I am vaccinated, 3 doses, and 3 different vaccines, 1 Sputnik, 2 Moderna and 3 Asta-Zenica.

I can still get COVID and still transmit it to others.
AND THAT IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT HERE!

Any person vaccinated or not is a potential carrier and spreader.

I do NOT wear my mask to protect me:  I wear it to protest you.  In case I have come in contact with covid and am in the 2 week period of no signs of being infected.

Sector11 - 670 days of living in Phase One Lockdown

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#4240 2022-01-19 19:46:40

misko_2083

unklar wrote:

But, this you know. wink

I'm familiar with how it works. smile

unklar wrote:

big_smile  big_smile

Hello @hhh,

come down again from your high horse.
You have by no means understood the meaning of the post. Both misko_2083, as well as I, have grown up in a social system, which you do not know at all.

And, there is a difference between what we were told then on the part of the "West" and what we experience here today on a daily basis.

Exactly like that unclar.
Living on both sides of the fences does create a different unique perspective.
Not only different but richer because we can see the systems from more angles
than the people who stayed entire life enclosed in one-sided view.
I believe we have a better understanding of the systems and their flaws and benefits.
Don't worry folks it's not like a magic spell that opens an invisible third eye which provides perception beyond ordinary sight.
Simply seeing both perspectives and drawing conclusions by comparing them.
Most of the people either keep only one perspective and don't notice the changes around them,
or switch unnoticeably to the other, gradually, unconsciously.

Djoković's stance isn't anti-vaccination or pro vaccine,
but it is a matter of bioethics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioethics).
His stand was that it's his and every human right to keep the medical data private.
Vaccinated or not it was always kept private,
and our was the choice whether we want to publish it or keep our medical privacy.
From a standing poit of bioethics everyone has a choice to chose his own treatment.
The emphasis is on the freedom of choice.

rbh wrote:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/australia- … 1642223036
Australia Feared Letting Novak Djokovic Stay Would Fuel Antivaccine Sentiment

I fear you guys could follow in the footsteps of Australian government
and cancel my BL forum visa because "My Stay Would Fuel Anti-SystemD Sentiment". big_smile

Sector11 wrote:

Now not so much.  IMHO they revoked his visa for political reasons, if that quote is correct, not medical or scientific reasons.  He tested negative, he was already IN the country.

Like there isn't already an "antivaccination sentiment" world wide and a LOT of medical reasons to back that up.  I have a few friends in the medical field, doctors, nurses and one family member that works in a lab dealing with the virus.

Here's my take: The governments of the world, all of them, are in many respects pulling the wool over our eyes in order to control us and ensure their political survival.

Exactly, from time to time leaders feel the need to make a spectacle for the reasons mentioned above.

I agree with you on everything bellow.
My cousin has recently been infected for the second time.
The first time he was absolutely fine, no symptoms.
Vaccinated, and this time again predictably no symptoms at all.
He wouldn't even know he was infected.
The colleague from work tested positive, so my cousin took the test because he was in contact with him.
And 14 days of isolation again.
So those vaccinated that don't know they have covid and don't have symptoms can infect people that received vaccines.
Some people I know told me they have covid for the second and even third time in few month despite vaccination.

People don't even know that Australia is paying $1.000 to the micro influencers,
with 1000-5000 subscribers, to promote vaccination.

theguardian wrote:

Morrison government is paying PR firm $2.9m to promote Covid vaccine rollout. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n … ne-rollout

USA too with more money.

abcnews wrote:

US turns to social media influencers to boost vaccine rates. https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireSt … s-79373529

The question is how much are news outlets receivng money to promote,
well, just about any propaganda narative it doesn't have to be vaccination at all.
The same way Edward Barney promoted cigarettes https://www.quora.com/What-is-something … ianu?ch=10
How much are we "influenced" by some paid actors be it a politician, social media celebrity or news anchor?

All of the news outlets TV, paper, radios, internet campaigns are promoting and Novak Djoković alone threat to Australia.
There was a post on social media by some Macedonian that said:
"Screw the continent that one unvaccinated Serbian can destroy!" big_smile

Last edited by misko_2083 (2022-01-19 20:26:31)

#4241 2022-01-20 00:01:36

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

rbh wrote:

Can we comunicate in the spirit of the debian social contract?

Mea culpa, and thanks to @Sector for cleaning up my post. I should have waited before posting, what I quoted made me pit-of-Mt. Doom hot.

#4242 2022-01-20 00:03:57

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

unklar wrote:

Both misko_2083, as well as I, have grown up in a social system, which you do not know at all.

Oh, please. I'm poor and living in the USA, I know exactly what a "social system" is. It's a broken one, basically no system at all. I was homeless for ten months, two years ago. My teeth are rotting away from lack of dental care. If I need healthcare I wait till it's an emergency and go to the Emergency room and don't pay the bill, destroying my credit. Ever been homeless, toothless and sick in winter under your social system?

We're a computer OS forum, but we're going to ignore the available scientific data here? Give me a break.

Really struggling to comprehend your argument. Living in Serbia or wherever means you should be extra-skeptical of a life-saving vaccine and praise a multi-millionaire (4.5 mil in earnings, over 30 mil in endorsements) for doing it?

You're in luck, you can wait for the Danish company Djok has an 80% interest in to come up with a peptide alternative. How do you like your social system now?

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport … 022-01-19/

#4243 2022-01-20 00:52:15

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

misko_2083 wrote:

His stand was that it's his and every human right to keep the medical data private.
Vaccinated or not it was always kept private,
and our was the choice whether we want to publish it or keep our medical privacy.
From a standing poit of bioethics everyone has a choice to chose his own treatment.
The emphasis is on the freedom of choice.

He's a public figure in a professional sport that's medically regulated, he has forgone total medical privacy. These were doping allegations where medical information was partially made public...

• Andre Agassi (2006)

• Richard Gasquet (2015)

• Marin Cilic (2015)

• Victor Troicki (2011)

• Martina Hingis (2014)

• Babora Zhalavova Strycova (2010)

• Maria Sharapova (2015)

His case is something new, because we haven't had a pandemic since polio and Spanish Flu (both cured by a vaccine, in 1994 for polio which had been an epidemic since ~1900, and in the '40s for the 1918 flu)...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2022 … yers-mens/

#4244 2022-01-20 02:37:06

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I wasn't going to join this discussion for fear of making it worse, but I've learned a thing about Djokovic - his charitable works - which altered my very negative opinion of him a bit. OTOH I've learned more about his Magical Thinking beliefs in imaginary things, which brought him down again.

Regardless of that, FWIW I think:

1) Djokovic should be free to have whatever weird opinions he wants.

2) Countries sometimes have to impose restrictions on personal freedom in the public interest. Where the balance is drawn between individual rights and the public good is for each society to consider. There are countries I'd never want to live in because they have drawn that balance point way too far to one side or the other. Examples of both are easily found in the world around us.

3) Australia is entitled to impose whatever restrictions they want on who is allowed or not to enter their country.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#4245 2022-01-20 13:29:22

misko_2083

^For me it's a very difficult task to pick someone to dislike because of his beliefs.
Billions of people belive in irrational fairy tales.
How many people belive in Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Superman, Godzilla?
Would not know where to start with so many religions and their fairy tales, heavens and hells, virgins and magical beings, daemons, giants, angels, Harry Potter's magic wand...
Samson the Barbarian? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_ws3kEsOU
How many people belive they live in the greatest country on a flat Earth carried on a gigantic turtle's back? big_smile
Would need a lot of counting.
Some even belive that all the vaccine mandates would stop after the covid measures are gone.

Australia called Novak, gave him visa.
Then canceled his visa on arrival, detained him, started a cruel media campaign against him. He sued and won, was released and went back to training.
After that, the minister has canceled his visa, and detained him again.
The politicians that were lobbying for Rio-Tinto lithium mining project in Serbia which Novak has openly voiced against on social media.
Has anyone thought of conflict of interests? Nope.
He was declared a public threat because his presence alone may cause something.
Some people did belive that hhh's presence on the forum MAY fuel some misogynist sentiment.
So what? It may or may not.
The only way to be sure is to throw some bones on the table and let magic decide his fate. big_smile

#4246 2022-01-20 22:19:31

twoion
一期一会

johnraff wrote:

3) Australia is entitled to impose whatever restrictions they want on who is allowed or not to enter their country.

Basically this is my entire opinion on this matter as well. If there are people who can hold Australian government accountable it's the Australians. Back in the day I wouldn't have gotten my Certificate of Eligibility for my Japan visa either if I hadn't satisfied the health check requirements of the day.

Be the matter as controversial as it may be, what happend to this sportsman is a policy mechanism in action, it's nothing personnel.

#4247 2022-01-21 00:38:21

johnraff
nullglob
Website

misko_2083 wrote:

For me it's a very difficult task to pick someone to dislike because of his beliefs.

No problem. You do yours and I'll do mine.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#4248 2022-01-21 09:01:28

Sun For Miles

misko_2083 wrote:

The politicians that were lobbying for Rio-Tinto lithium mining project in Serbia which Novak has openly voiced against on social media.
Has anyone thought of conflict of interests? Nope.

Rio Tinto projects halted in Serbia imho is a lot more significant than Novak being banned from entering Australia for 3 years (possibly other western coutries without vaccination now due to omicron panic). I think that is a great trade from our end. big_smile

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#4249 2022-01-21 09:13:07

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

misko_2083 wrote:

Some people did belive that hhh's presence on the forum MAY fuel some misogynist sentiment.

What in the... ? Whatever dude.

After that, the minister has canceled his visa, and detained him again.

No, his case went to the Supreme Court and the judges flat our decided that his influence as a celebrity was a health risk and therefore he was not entitled to "procedural fairness". In other words, they wanted him out of there. Specifically for the reason that you are so clearly representing... "And the minister was concerned by reports that anti-vaccination groups "had portrayed Mr Djokovic as a hero and an icon of freedom of choice"...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-60066404

Nice chat, thanks! I'm done with this subject.

#4250 2022-01-22 16:53:29

twoion
一期一会

twoion wrote:

I bought my first new spinning hard disk since 2015. A 12TB WD Red, soon to be literally a copy of ALL my data including media, which is incredible, all my local storage so far has been about 4TB total only, not even full. I'll add 2x more 12TB disks as a mirror of this one, and after that is done, I'll look into building a Linux NAS with ZFS from scratch with about 8xsomethingTB disks. Will be a fun (but expensive) project.

For the 12TB disks, I'm using the following setup: LVM on LUKS2, volume group 80% occupied to leave space for CoW LVM snapshots if needed, filesystem is ext4 for maximum recoverability with fast_commit option added and using the -T small preset of the mkfs.ext4 usage hints (makes sure the inode ratio is such that I don't run out with a couple of million of files). The LUKS headers have been backed up.

My laptop is doing about 250MB/s throughput with rclone, which is a read/write load (it writes then reads the checksum back to confirm the integrity).

I also have decided to never buy a USB2.0 storage device again. I'm currently waiting for a lowly USB2 SD card reader to finish writing a mere 150G at about 4MB/s which is an absolute disgrace (should've thought twice before buying a fast SD card and using it in such a shitty device).

Aaand marriage is already over, the drive started reporting bad blocks after 6 hours of uptime and roughly 3 TB written. The problem with this make is that the extended SMART self-test routine takes about a full 24 hours to complete, so I had not run it completely yet.

Now, it's unclear to me as the user if the issue is not WesternDigital selling SMR drives in CMR clothing as I'm too much of a hard disk noob for this but the drive is going back to the big smile to get exchanged. Fingers crossed the next unit won't make problems.

This is just an inconvenience for me --- remember not to trust your new drives without properly exercising them first. I had all the data I've written to it still available on other media.

Another point: Encrypt all your drives. On modern CPUs with the proper hardware extensions encryption comes with next to no performance penalty. I only have to wipe the LUKS header https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-cry … UKS_header in order to safely return the magentic drive without having to worry about my data getting exposed (assuming nobody is able and willing to use quantum cryptography to defeat the primitive idea of "using hard to guess numbers to keep data safe"). If I had not used disk encryption, I'd have to waste hours overwriting and zeroeing data several times on the disk to make sure nothing would be recoverable.

Board footer