You are not logged in.

#4126 2021-10-29 00:57:42

lowrider

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

jeffreyC wrote:
el_koraco wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

The world will never go back to what it was pre-covid days.  Those days are gone and lost forever.

It will go back to pre covid days in no time at all.

S11 is right.

As long as the virus keeps mutating (which will always happen) and people can get vaccinated and still catch it, it will never go away.

Social distancing is the new normal, masks will always be with us.

As long as those still apply we are not back to pre-Covid conditions.

Anything I have to say on this subject would lead to a ban. So I just say um.

Last edited by lowrider (2021-10-29 01:29:31)

#4127 2021-10-29 02:42:30

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

twoion wrote:

^ Prices for electricity in Germany went from .24ct/kWh last year to .42ct/kWh now, equivalent raises in price for heating gas and any other form of energy. This is pushing prices for everything up, because it increases cost of transportation. This is entirely due to idiotic energy policy mismanagement, stupid people decided to shut down the last nuclear power plants next year .... Additionally supply crunches push up prices of basic condiments like noodles and of course other materials up as well ....

Will be interesting to see if inflation lasts, and how bad things will go before they get better.

So long story short, most Germans will have gotten a salary cut by about 10% I guess at the end of the year as well. Everything is getting more expensive. Salaries of course stay the same.

I've seen this in my news feed the last week or so...

https://www.thelocal.de/20211028/german … year-high/

18.6% energy cost increase. That is huge.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy … 021-10-14/

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/be … 021-10-28/

6% hike on beer prices across the board expected. It's fucking with beer prices! You're an errand boy... sent by grocery clerks... to mess with my beer costs. The horror... the horror.

Does your physical disability preclude you from coming to the point?

#4128 2021-10-29 07:00:40

misko_2083

^No worries hhh, they'll start adding more water into beer to compensate for the price. :-)
Like companies do in the eastern Europe.
Ice cream has more air in it in eastern parts.

Sector11 wrote:

The world will never go back to what it was pre-covid days.  Those days are gone and lost forever.

Never say never.
We must always count in that human stupidity has no limits.

How did this one fellow smuggled a sniper rifle with the night vision scope and thermal vision through an airport in Dortmund, Germany?
Reminds me of a scene from a movie Airport 1990.
The customs in Niš's airport found it on arrival.
He claimed he's a hunter and it's for sport hunting.

They use force, to make you do, what the deciders, have decided you must do!

#4129 2021-10-29 08:08:35

el_koraco

jeffreyC wrote:
el_koraco wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

S11 is right.

As long as the virus keeps mutating (which will always happen) and people can get vaccinated and still catch it, it will never go away.

If you count some people wearing masks and not socializing as never going back to pre-covid days, then sure. As for everything else, any restrictions still left will be lifted by sometime in 2022, meaning full occupancy for any kind of gathering and the general lifting of mask mandates, which is essentially the only "new normal" that has remained anywhere.

#4130 2021-10-29 12:27:27

twoion
一期一会

el_koraco wrote:
jeffreyC wrote:
el_koraco wrote:

S11 is right.

If you count some people wearing masks and not socializing as never going back to pre-covid days, then sure. As for everything else, any restrictions still left will be lifted by sometime in 2022, meaning full occupancy for any kind of gathering and the general lifting of mask mandates, which is essentially the only "new normal" that has remained anywhere.

I have no doubt that the West will stop doing anything about Covid and continue to shine with its incompetence and its citizens with their lack of discipline, but China at least is not relenting, currently regionally locking down 4 million people because of less than 50 Covid cases, which is orders of magnitude lower than e.g. Germany on a good day this Autumn. I think that certain Asian countries will keep winning at being civilized about the pandemic (and thereby more effective).

#4131 2021-10-29 17:54:54

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

I can't read that link, they want me to create an account.

This works though.

I'm just trying to be realistic about this.  Take: alcohol in gel.  We've been using that since 2009 H1N1 Pandemic.  Carry little bottles with us all the time (mine's in my Herrentasche that I still use from my time in Germany) and we have large dispensers on the breakfast and dining room tables.

This C-19 virus isn't going anywhere soon, don't let the politicians tell you otherwise.

I don't care that our president said the pandemic is over in Argentina, he's only worried about the upcoming elections.
After the elections it will be like Serbia, "It's the people's fault!" They are ignoring the rising numbers now though.
People are walking around without masks, no social distancing, not using alcohol.

"WE'RE FREE! IT'S OVER!"
"Hey, Pablo, wanna bet?"

It doesn't dawn on them that to go into a store "a mask is required", to use public transport, now at 100% capacity, "a mask is required" --- blah blah blah.  So what do they do, carry it around their wrist like a bracelet until they need it or have it hanging from one ear.  REALLY!

NOPE, just doesn't sink in.  There is no cure for stupidity!

However most people my age are wearing masks, and are using alcohol in public.

1 year 7 months 9 days of wearing a mask.
Our, we are 3 high risk cases living here, own Personal Phase 1 protocol, we don't care what others do.  It sure as hell does bother me when someone without a mask gets close though.

I still strip my street closes off and wash then when I get home, putting on "in house clothes".
Things I buy and bring home are washed in warm soapy water, rinsed off and then dried BEFORE they go beyond the big table at the door.
Feels weird washing a bottle of 72% alcohol before allowing in further into the house but we do it.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#4132 2021-10-30 00:10:50

misko_2083

^Oh , I thought you meant things with pre-covid polution will never go back. Silly me.
I was probably thinking about tv propaganda paid by that mining company Rio Tinto.
They are going to leave the toxic desert behind them in Western part of the country digging lithium and refining it with sulphuric acid. They will have to build big pools for those millions of tons of lithium.
The most fertile land and beautiful nature and landscape will be gone and many will have to move if they start digging.

Back to cov. That routine you practice is like with a husband of my cousin/sister.
They have a baby girl and do all that you do.
Maybe even more because he has a small computer store and clean everything with alcohol after every customer.
He regularly cleans hands with alcohol even overused it.
His skin on a face started to peal off because he was unconsciously touching it after putting alcohol on his hands. Maybe he scratched his nose or something like that.
Dermatologist figured it out after asking the right questions.

Current measures are not logical, so to say in a most polite manner.
Inspection asks for covid certificates only after 22h.
And they are needed only in the restaurants, coffee bars... All the catering facilities but not in shops and other.
I imagine that their logic is that customers can't wear masks while eating or drinking.
So the virus is picky about locations and works only in night shifts.
Unless this measure is a psychological pressure on the younger generation which often spends time after 22h in such facilities there is no point.
Younger generation refuses to vaccinate according to statistical data.
Most catering facilities stopped working after 22h refusing to separate their customers.
The gov expects from them to be the police and ask for ID and covid pass every customer that enters after 22h.
If a customer enters the restaurant at 10 minutes to ten then it's unlikely he will finish his meal before the inspection comes. He shouldn't order if he hasn't got a covid pass and an ID.
So the stuff has to warn all the customers early or start checking for covid pass at 9, 9:30 at least.
Some customers are aggressive when pointed out.

The other explanation for obligatory covid pass after 22h is that the government applied these measures only as a test before deciding whether to extend them to all day 24h pass requirement. Since the virus doesn't have working hours it's impossible to expect this partial customer filtering will result in less infections.

Half of the people gets infected waiting in line for many hours in front of the covid ambulance the place where they do tests, fast antigen and slower but more reliable PCR.
People stand very close, don't respect the distance.
When it rains even tighter have to stand in the tent or
under the piece of roof that covers the stairs on the entrance.
Some smoke cigarettes even though they came because of respiratory problems for heaven's sake, and of course don't wear masks while doing so.

Just remembered I have friends that went to a wedding with a baby. Insane.
Some weddings are very big here.
I read in the papers that there was a wedding with 400 guests and 100 guests got infection afterwards.

There are also slavas, celebrations of Saints protectors of the homes. Some people have a lot guests at home for slava and would perform slava even if the world is about to end.
I mean my brother in law had a heart attack the night before slava and in the hospital he was worried it will be canceled.
On the phone he told my sister "Don't even dare to cancel it!"
Troubling times, covid risks and he could die and was still worried about whether the tables are ready for celebration and if the guests would come.
Luckily he survived with small damage to the heart thanks to stent and no one got infected for slava.

#4133 2021-10-30 00:39:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hard times, and agree with S11 that it won't be over soon, but disagree that we'll never go back to how things were before.

Remember the dreaded killer smallpox? How much time do you spend worrying about that, or diphtheria, or anthrax...

Eventually vaccines and treatments will eradicate it. Not this year though, or next year.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#4134 2021-10-30 03:56:28

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Which does not mean that I think "mankind is doomed" because of C-19.
We are doomed - but more like along the lines of the dinosaurs.

johnraff wrote:

Remember the dreaded killer smallpox? How much time do you spend worrying about that, or diphtheria, or anthrax...

Yup, sure do - but think:
1918 flu pandemic
2009 H1N1 Pandemic

So the flu is still with us.  It's not wiped out, because it mutates and we get new strains.
Estimated deaths per year: 12-50,000

I think of C-19 as a cousin to the flu, and it has already mutated a few times.

I hope I'm wrong and you're right, but if they can't eradicate the flu or common cold what makes us think they can eradicate C-19.

I think the best that will happen is we'll finally end up with yearly shot like we have no for the flu.  They might even be able to make it a single shot.

@ misko_2083

Pollution is what it is a product of us destroying out own home.
Politicians talk about fixing it up, making it better.
C-19 showed us the answer in the first 6 weeks of it's World Wide Phase 1 lockdown.
The Earth started healing herself, did we notice?  Apparently not.

Current measures are not logical, so to say in a most polite manner.

That sums it all up very nicely.

For as much as I use the 72% alcohol gel or spray solution I also use a normal moisturising cream on my hands, face and neck - have had that in my bathroom for the past 40 years at least.  An old habit that helped a lot as other had to learn to add  that routine because alcohol dries out the skin.  My wife has all her fancy creams for this and that, I just buy some cheap cream to use after I wash or shower or spend a lot of time in the sun.  Summer here and the UVI hits 11 almost every day.  Gotta keep my hands and bald head from 'cracking', OK a hat helps as well, but it very uncomfortable in the sun when it 38 to 42°  big_smile

Last edited by Sector11 (2021-10-30 03:59:54)

#4135 2021-10-31 02:46:10

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

You're not wrong. Johns Hopkins University prediction in March of 2020 was a projected 5 million deaths worldwide within a year and a half. They were right on target, it's that now...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Crap, look at those graphs... it's almost as high as it ever was, and going back up.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

And, like you said, it ain't done mutating yet.

Christ, look at those numbers. 3 quarter of a million dead in the US (Walmart shoppers), half a million each in India and Brazil (too easy to make a joke here), a quarter million in Russia (Putin is stunned! Stunned, I say! That figure is going up rapidly by all reports)... 150,000 Brits! Meh, so you lose the Midlands and a bunch of caravans. Some abandoned car factories. Detroit Michigan, basically.

Does your physical disability preclude you from coming to the point?

#4136 2021-10-31 08:04:40

el_koraco

twoion wrote:

I have no doubt that the West will stop doing anything about Covid and continue to shine with its incompetence and its citizens with their lack of discipline, but China at least is not relenting, currently regionally locking down 4 million people because of less than 50 Covid cases, which is orders of magnitude lower than e.g. Germany on a good day this Autumn. I think that certain Asian countries will keep winning at being civilized about the pandemic (and thereby more effective).

I do not doubt China will pretend to be doing zero Covid for a while. Vietnam might too, as might Taiwan. If you want to count those as certain Asian countries, fine by me. All of these are, however personal opinions on the virus and anti virus measures and whatever. The thing I responded to was the claim that the world will never return to pre-covid times, which is just flat out wrong. Like, maybe people wish that there will never be a return to pre-covid times, but it has already happened in practice.

#4137 2021-10-31 13:52:42

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

@ el_koraco

Let's agree to disagree on this.
We all have our opinions that only time will solve in this case.

el_koraco wrote:

I do not doubt China will pretend to be doing zero Covid for a while. Vietnam might too, as might Taiwan.

AWESOME, let's have more 'pretend' it gone away, like the president of Argentina said, "In Argentina there is no more pandemic."  What I think of him will remain unsaid.

one more:

maybe people wish that there will never be a return to pre-covid times

- that certainly is not me.

but it has already happened in practice.
- I'm still wearing a mask, people are still dying of Covid, and it's still mutating.
- we, along with millions of other world wide, are not practising that it has already happened.

My opinion is it won't happen and as I told johnraff, "I hope your right and I'm wrong."

#4138 2021-10-31 19:08:44

el_koraco

Sector11 wrote:

@ el_koraco

Let's agree to disagree on this.
We all have our opinions that only time will solve in this case.

el_koraco wrote:

I do not doubt China will pretend to be doing zero Covid for a while. Vietnam might too, as might Taiwan.

AWESOME, let's have more 'pretend' it gone away, like the president of Argentina said, "In Argentina there is no more pandemic."  What I think of him will remain unsaid.

one more:

maybe people wish that there will never be a return to pre-covid times

- that certainly is not me.

but it has already happened in practice.
- I'm still wearing a mask, people are still dying of Covid, and it's still mutating.
- we, along with millions of other world wide, are not practising that it has already happened.

My opinion is it won't happen and as I told johnraff, "I hope your right and I'm wrong."

I didn't mean to imply you were the one not wanting a return to pre-covid times, I was mostly referring to out of touch journalists writing up Covid fan fiction. My point was simply that the major thing that caused the, let's call it Covid era, was the fact that a bunch of people around the world were really afraid of the virus for a while. They no longer are, you can't make them, so we're essentially to where we were in 2019, with token restrictions here and there. Millions is a tiny fraction compared to billions.

#4139 2021-11-01 01:47:40

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Good point El_K, but I'll wear my mask anyway.
I'm doing my best to be part of the billions not the millions.

Got word today that 3rd dose for my age group starts in Dec.
We'll see how that goes.

Pollen season started here, just about everyone has allergic reactions to it.
Found out that the mask helps.

#4140 2021-11-01 07:46:42

el_koraco

Sector11 wrote:

Good point El_K, but I'll wear my mask anyway.
I'm doing my best to be part of the billions not the millions.

Got word today that 3rd dose for my age group starts in Dec.
We'll see how that goes.

Pollen season started here, just about everyone has allergic reactions to it.
Found out that the mask helps.

Sure, it seems that the mask is most likely useless, but if you want to be extra sure why not. In case you are older or high risk, it is much more important to get another shot.

#4141 2021-11-01 08:57:19

misko_2083

^I can't get 3rd dose for 2 reasons.
Only 4 months have passed since the last vaccine and I got covid last month.
If I didn't have covid I would not be able to travel to the countries that are picky about the vaccine's country of origin for political reasons.
I would be able go to Turkey though, it's a beautiful country and the people are welcoming.
And doesn't matter which vaccine people received.
My mother traveled there on a bus it took 24 hours to get to Kušadasi.

@Sector11 Allergies on pollen never had those. But my roommate did when we studied back then.
She used to take toilet paper rolls and use them non-stop because her nose was drooling like she had a cold.

@el_koraco Let's say the mask lowers the chances of infection.
But when someone doesn't wear a mask the chances rise.
This morning in the shop this guy didn't wear a mask and if someone infected got in before him he has more chances of infection.
What the chances are in % I don't know.
But you know that saying Better than nothing.

My legs were like afer a mountain hike on a way back. I have to walk more and gain more durability, getting tired so easy is irritating. I expected the recovery to be faster because I'm still relatively young.

Last edited by misko_2083 (2021-11-01 08:58:34)

#4142 2021-11-01 10:05:16

el_koraco

misko_2083 wrote:

We can say that, but the likelihood that this is true is slim to none. I am not sure any doctor would advise you personally to get a booster shot, you already had the disease and have been vaccinated.

#4143 2021-11-01 11:22:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

el_koraco wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

We can say that, but the likelihood that this is true is slim to none.

Where are you getting this data from? The impression I get is that masks offer relatively little protection to the wearer, but significantly reduce the rate of transmission to others by cutting down microparticles. So you benefit if the people around you wear masks.

Here in Japan today's total new infections were 80-something for a population of 110 million. Monday's usually low, but still people are scratching their heads over how we got here. Vaccinations now ~70% of total pop. and still rising. I was in the UK last month where vacc. rates are almost as high, but older ie first shots went in over a year ago. People there don't wear masks much and don't seem too worried that new daily cases are going over 50,000. In Japan people wear masks all the time, indoors and out - at least where I live.

Vaccinations wear off over time, and masks have some effect are conclusions hard to avoid.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#4144 2021-11-01 11:55:54

el_koraco

johnraff wrote:
el_koraco wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

We can say that, but the likelihood that this is true is slim to none.

Where are you getting this data from? The impression I get is that masks offer relatively little protection to the wearer, but significantly reduce the rate of transmission to others by cutting down microparticles. So you benefit if the people around you wear masks.

It should be the other way around, there should be data showing that masks decrease community infections to any significant level. There is none, only a few models. Your observational comparison of Japan and the UK is just observational.

#4145 2021-11-01 13:10:04

misko_2083

el_koraco wrote:

I am not sure any doctor would advise you personally to get a booster shot, you already had the disease and have been vaccinated.

Actually the first time I saw a doctor after hospital stay she recommended me to get Pfizer after 6 months ftom infection. She's a doctor of infectology.
Masks do work better than what you would expect.

#4146 2021-11-01 13:35:50

el_koraco

misko_2083 wrote:

Actually the first time I saw a doctor after hospital stay she recommended me to get Pfizer after 6 months ftom infection. She's a doctor of infectology.

what is her reasoning?

#4147 2021-11-01 17:26:12

misko_2083

el_koraco wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

what is her reasoning?

Didn't ask doc.
Best guess is it's still possible to get reinfection after some period of time.
Maybe she had cases like that I don't know.
Man that waiting room has no windows and had to wait for 5 hours because there are lots of patients. Didn't really wanna chat after that.
The waiting room was in the building where normaly is urology.
They moved post-covid control there and urology to surgery.
It happens when the most of the hospital complex is turned into covid.

#4148 2021-11-01 18:27:57

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

el_koraco wrote:

Sure, it seems that the mask is most likely useless

See that's wrong. And that's been the wrong idea since the beginning.

CDC wrote:

Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19? Yes. Face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as getting vaccinated, frequent hand-washing and physical distancing, can help slow the spread of the virus.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends fabric masks for the general public. People who haven’t been fully vaccinated should continue to wear face masks in indoor public places and outdoors where there is a high risk of COVID-19 transmission, such as crowded events or large gatherings. The CDC says that N95 masks should be reserved for health care providers.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends medical masks for health care workers as well as for anyone who has or may have COVID-19 or who is caring for someone who has or may have COVID-19.

Add to the fact I, my wife and Mother-in-law are all considered: "high risk".  I have 2 stents in my left artery to the heart, and I'm taking a blood thinner.

And here our government opened up everything - even to those who have NOT had a vaccination or only the first.

So those 250 (guestimate) people I walk by today going to and from the bank that were NOT wearing a mask are potential "COVID spreaders".

Two deaths in my wife's family due to COVID, both had the 1st shot, and another in hospital after the 2nd shot.  So don't tell me a mask does little. they didn't use masks and visited friends or had friends and family over.

As John said:

The impression I get is that masks offer relatively little protection to the wearer, but significantly reduce the rate of transmission to others by cutting down microparticles. So you benefit if the people around you wear masks.

And there you have it. IF everyone wears a mask the chances of it spreading are greatly reduced.

And now the border are open for international flights without quarantine.
- OH JOY!

As one person put it:
The virus doesn't move
people move

People stop moving
The virus dies

#4149 2021-11-01 19:57:58

el_koraco

misko_2083 wrote:
el_koraco wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

what is her reasoning?

Didn't ask doc.
Best guess is it's still possible to get reinfection after some period of time.
Maybe she had cases like that I don't know.

Your doctor, the doctor of immunology, does not seem to pay much attention to literature. Oh well: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02795-x

#4150 2021-11-01 20:03:38

el_koraco

Sector11 wrote:
el_koraco wrote:

Sure, it seems that the mask is most likely useless

See that's wrong. And that's been the wrong idea since the beginning.

Add to the fact I, my wife and Mother-in-law are all considered: "high risk".  I have 2 stents in my left artery to the heart, and I'm taking a blood thinner.

And here our government opened up everything - even to those who have NOT had a vaccination or only the first.

So those 250 (guestimate) people I walk by today going to and from the bank that were NOT wearing a mask are potential "COVID spreaders".

Two deaths in my wife's family due to COVID, both had the 1st shot, and another in hospital after the 2nd shot.  So don't tell me a mask does little. they didn't use masks and visited friends or had friends and family over.

Again, this is all observational. The CDC guidance does not show that masks work, it is a general recommendation, not very different from what I said.

Board footer