You are not logged in.

#4101 2021-10-16 21:43:08

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 12,484
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:

Here's what happens if you add a pihole to a home network where android and windows users are busy.

https://0x0.2ion.de/fcxycg20/2y5kgp.thumb.png

https://0x0.2ion.de/r4y1xgpf/3aa80.png

It's spyware. Almost zero percent of the DNS lookups are due to user interaction. Everything else is ... "automatic".

Explain this to me like I was 5 years old, please.

Online

#4102 2021-10-16 23:20:45

glittersloth
buena piñata
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 1,393

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

hhh wrote:

Explain this to me like I was 5 years old, please.

Those domains – Microshit, Goolag, Scamsung, etc – were not intentionally visited by him, but “phoned home” by the devices connected to his LAN. Only Blokada seems to be non-corp related.

EdiT;
On the bright side, his firmware doesn’t seem to be reporting to Winnie the Xi, though he’d need WireShark to double-confirm that.

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-10-16 23:47:11)

Offline

#4103 2021-10-17 02:12:21

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 12,484
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ Thanks. Nefarious bullshit.

Online

#4104 2021-10-17 03:20:39

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Anything like that for plain old Linux?


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#4105 2021-10-17 09:57:04

twoion
一期一会
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,397

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:

Anything like that for plain old Linux?

Basically, pihole can run in a container and just act as an DNS server. They have official container images and provide a guide (with docker-compose file example) here: https://hub.docker.com/r/pihole/pihole. After setting that up, you would have to use the pihole as the DNS server in your computers/the network. You can do that on a computer in your home, or a server in the cloud.

If you can get your hands on a raspberry pi (Linux system based on Debian after all), perhaps you could get the full pihole route. The older Pis are cheap and totally enough to run it.

Offline

#4106 2021-10-17 14:22:16

twoion
一期一会
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,397

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Today I edited a document in Microsoft Word 365 for a family member just to learn that they removed the functionality of saving arbitrarily many versions of a file from Word and Excel (different from "tracking changes", basically just saving new snapshots of the file) because they want you to use the cloud for saving your personal documents. You have to rely on NTFS/File History to store old versions of your files! The same feature is still present in LibreOffice. I can't even hmm& Office 97 used to actually be good as a stand-alone software pack. Office 365 is crippleware.

Offline

#4107 2021-10-17 14:38:06

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

You are saying LO is still saving locally right?

The idea that you "MUST" save to their servers means one more MUST for this guy:

I "MUST" remove any software that "insists" on saving personal documents on a cloud some place.

I switched to ".txt" files a LONG time ago.  Having the advantage of being retired and not "needing" any "Office" type software ut works for me.

That said I do have LO here as my wife receives some things she needs to read.


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#4108 2021-10-17 14:53:09

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Anything like that for plain old Linux?

Basically, pihole can run in a container and just act as an DNS server. They have official container images and provide a guide (with docker-compose file example) here: https://hub.docker.com/r/pihole/pihole. After setting that up, you would have to use the pihole as the DNS server in your computers/the network. You can do that on a computer in your home, or a server in the cloud.

If you can get your hands on a raspberry pi (Linux system based on Debian after all), perhaps you could get the full pihole route. The older Pis are cheap and totally enough to run it.

Well, a little over my head.  sad
But would be nice to have all ads redirected to a black hole.


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#4109 2021-10-17 15:08:38

rbh
Moderator
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 1,291

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:

I switched to ".txt" files a LONG time ago.  Having the advantage of being retired and not "needing" any "Office" type software ut works for me.

I use .md more and more. Geany is perfect for handling markdown files. But, that is most for personal files.

Daily i handle formated files I have to share with others, has to be produced with LibreOffice and Google docs.


// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

Offline

#4110 2021-10-17 16:05:10

twoion
一期一会
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,397

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

rbh wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

I switched to ".txt" files a LONG time ago.  Having the advantage of being retired and not "needing" any "Office" type software ut works for me.

I use .md more and more. Geany is perfect for handling markdown files. But, that is most for personal files.

Daily i handle formated files I have to share with others, has to be produced with LibreOffice and Google docs.

Personally I use .rst and .md for structured notes and .tex / LaTeX for all my correspondence and LO Calc for my spreadsheet needs but that stuff does not fly with the more computer agnostic. Let's not forget that a lot of "computer training" for the older and even not so old generations is really "how to use word and excel".

Offline

#4111 2021-10-17 16:11:58

glittersloth
buena piñata
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 1,393

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:
twoion wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Anything like that for plain old Linux?

Basically, pihole can run in a container and just act as an DNS server. They have official container images and provide a guide (with docker-compose file example) here: https://hub.docker.com/r/pihole/pihole. After setting that up, you would have to use the pihole as the DNS server in your computers/the network. You can do that on a computer in your home, or a server in the cloud.

If you can get your hands on a raspberry pi (Linux system based on Debian after all), perhaps you could get the full pihole route. The older Pis are cheap and totally enough to run it.

Well, a little over my head.  sad
But would be nice to have all ads redirected to a black hole.

How many devices do you want protected? If you're just talking about your Linux desktop, you don't really need to go that far. Considering most or our web facing activity is probably done via browser, the usual FF extensions like uBlock Origin or NoScript should be sufficient. You could also a have a hosts file (/etc/hosts) for an added layer, but do note that whitelisting becomes harder the more layers you have.

If you're talking about Android phones, easiest is probably Rethink (download from F-Droid).

Simplest "whole house" option is to do it via your router. You can configure a bunch of lists on NextDNS and follow the instructions for your router, assuming you're not living with the indignity of using a locked-down ISP-issued model.

Many ways to skin this particular cat, but those are probably the easiest. A step higher would be @twoion's setup, and a step beyond that would be to deploy your own WireGuard or IPSec tunnel on a VPS instance (which you'll be paying for monthly) with DNSCrypt or Pi-Hole (in Docker) running the DNS poisoning/sinkholing.

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-10-17 16:15:02)

Offline

#4112 2021-10-17 16:26:06

Martin
Member
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 596
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:
rbh wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

I switched to ".txt" files a LONG time ago.  Having the advantage of being retired and not "needing" any "Office" type software ut works for me.

I use .md more and more. Geany is perfect for handling markdown files. But, that is most for personal files.

Daily i handle formated files I have to share with others, has to be produced with LibreOffice and Google docs.

Personally I use .rst and .md for structured notes and .tex / LaTeX for all my correspondence and LO Calc for my spreadsheet needs but that stuff does not fly with the more computer agnostic. Let's not forget that a lot of "computer training" for the older and even not so old generations is really "how to use word and excel".

More and more Org-mode in my case. Even at work.
http://orgmode.org/
/Martin


"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

Offline

#4113 2021-10-17 16:27:42

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

@ glittersloth

Well, I'm cool then, just my desktop here.  So FF-esr and addons  smile

assuming you're not living with the indignity of using a locked-down ISP-issued model.

alas ....  sad


Must check out .md files and editors.  Don't like geany it opens terminator and I cannot close it.


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#4114 2021-10-19 05:35:59

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Martin wrote:

More and more Org-mode in my case. Even at work.
http://orgmode.org/
/Martin

That looks interesting  smile


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#4115 2021-10-23 09:11:07

misko_2083
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 525

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Time for some Поховане паприке (pohovane paprike)
The internet says this is named "Breaded peppers" in English.
yDSWGG6t.jpg


They use force, to make you do, what the deciders, have decided you must do!

Offline

#4116 2021-10-23 14:48:47

glittersloth
buena piñata
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 1,393

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ I assume that means you're feeling better now. Good to know.

Offline

#4117 2021-10-23 18:31:32

misko_2083
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 525

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

glittersloth wrote:

^ I assume that means you're feeling better now. Good to know.

It means I'm eating better. :-)
I feel better and started to make jokes.

My blood test results are good.
The bad news is that the test has become a little more expensive.
Last week it was 1460 and now 1750 dinars.
Actually the price of everything else is rising.
There are covid passes/certificates for restaurants and coffee bars now.
How are they going to survive and keep their business running I don't know. If a customer doesn't wear a mask he gets 5000 dinars penalty. The manager of the shift is punished with 30.000 if the employee doesn't wear a mask properly.
If the inspection decides to punish the firm 300.000 dinars.
Now they have to scan QR codes of their customer's covid sertificates and then check their IDs, driving license or passports.
And on the TV politicians are telling fairy tales that the economy is doing so well that we never had such a rise, thanks to the president, of course.
Because nothing can happen without him.
Almost every news starts with words: "Good morning/evening/day./afternoon You are watching (insert channel name here) News. President Vučić has said..."


They use force, to make you do, what the deciders, have decided you must do!

Offline

#4118 2021-10-23 19:26:29

twoion
一期一会
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,397

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ Prices for electricity in Germany went from .24ct/kWh last year to .42ct/kWh now, equivalent raises in price for heating gas and any other form of energy. This is pushing prices for everything up, because it increases cost of transportation. This is entirely due to idiotic energy policy mismanagement, stupid people decided to shut down the last nuclear power plants next year .... Additionally supply crunches push up prices of basic condiments like noodles and of course other materials up as well ....

Will be interesting to see if inflation lasts, and how bad things will go before they get better.

So long story short, most Germans will have gotten a salary cut by about 10% I guess at the end of the year as well. Everything is getting more expensive. Salaries of course stay the same.

Offline

#4119 2021-10-26 09:31:32

misko_2083
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 525

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ Not only transport. When the price of energy go up evrything is more expensive. Plus CO2 emission taxes are now 60€ per ton of coal. Electrical company has to increase the price because the expenses are higher.
Then manufacturers of noodles have to raise the price because the manufacturing noodles is more expensive.
End buyers pay for everything.
Here we have two prices for industry and home use.
The price for electrical current raised 60% for industy aka manufacturers. We'll see what will happen with electricity for home use.

twoion wrote:

So long story short, most Germans will have gotten a salary cut by about 10% I guess at the end of the year as well. Everything is getting more expensive. Salaries of course stay the same.

It suck when you work the same as before for less and pay more for noodles.
Sorry for taking so long to respond I had some issues with medications.
This is why I always avoided taking them. They help with one issue and cause another one and make damage.


They use force, to make you do, what the deciders, have decided you must do!

Offline

#4120 2021-10-26 15:57:36

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Still good to see you here misko_2083

They are talking about "freezing" prices here.
And of course there are complaints from manufacturers/suppliers.

EXAMPLE:  Rice - price freeze at 100 pesos a kilo to the customer.

But it now costs the manufacturer 150 pesos to make a kilo of noodles.
- - and that's not even talking about shipping to various locations.
- the answer is simple: They stop making noodles.

However the president of Argentina has said the pandemic is over in Argentina,
- No one needs to wear masks in open air any more as of 1 Oct.
- Did I mention there is a mid-term election next month?
- New cases in the last week have risen 32%
- The Delta Strain is the cause of 50% of the new cases in the city.

Am I wearing a mask:  You can bet your life's savings on that.


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#4121 2021-10-26 18:00:19

misko_2083
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 525

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:

However the president of Argentina has said the pandemic is over in Argentina,
- No one needs to wear masks in open air any more as of 1 Oct.
- Did I mention there is a mid-term election next month?
- New cases in the last week have risen 32%
- The Delta Strain is the cause of 50% of the new cases in the city.

Am I wearing a mask:  You can bet your life's savings on that.

The same recipe like the el presidente de Serbia.
Everything is fine until the elections are over.
Everything is fine we won no more virus.
After elections we go to lockdown again and pretend we care about people's lives again.
Leaks about the manipulation of nimber of deaths durring the elections appeared.
And who is to blame for the rise of covid cases?
"The people. Their irresponsible behaviour brought us back!" - said the prez.
Of course, here were massive protests the next day when they anounced the new lockdown.
The media reported that people  protested against the new measures but the truth is they protested against the government which was gambling with lives for elections and making fool out of everyone for their interests.

The other day my mother told me that some customer yelled at employee in the store because she told him he must leave for not wearing a mask.
Outside no one wears a mask. Not really, some old do but it's so rare.
I saw people enter without the mask and look at you like you are crazy for wearing it.
People are crazy. What I see now on facebook is people having theories about who made the virus.
Americans or Russian-Chinese.
One group argues that the Americans lied us for 60 years about the moon landing and that virus is their doing.
The other group belives that some Russian secret society runs the world and the Americans are only doing what they say. big_smile The second ones also belive that the virus is a good thing because it's purpose is to erase all the borders in the world. The first group blames Bill Gates. Crazy stuff.


They use force, to make you do, what the deciders, have decided you must do!

Offline

#4122 2021-10-27 01:52:47

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,841

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Yea, misko_2083, same type of stories coming from all corners of the globe.  "Same idea" just the names and places change.  People in power do not want to lose their power.  And we, the fodder, will suffer the consequences.

There is not a single politician in the world that has made a mistake.
- according to them of course.

As for "the virus" here's what I know:

IT'S HERE and IT KILLS!

Do what you (looking at myself in the mirror) need to do to stay alive because the political machine doesn't even know you (in the mirror) exist, let alone care if you (in the mirror again) make it or not!

My Opinion:

The world will never go back to what it was pre-covid days.  Those days are gone and lost forever.

Early after covid hit and the whole world went into it's first "Phase 1" and the earth showed her power.  The two I remember clearly:

- The air cleared up, air pollution levels dropped like a rock.
- Venice, the waters of the canals cleared up and fish returned

Take a look at the natural disasters around the globe today.  OUCH!


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#4123 2021-10-28 17:34:54

el_koraco
Member
Registered: 2016-02-08
Posts: 149

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:

The world will never go back to what it was pre-covid days.  Those days are gone and lost forever.

It will go back to pre covid days in no time at all.

Offline

#4124 2021-10-28 18:19:27

twoion
一期一会
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,397

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:

Take a look at the natural disasters around the globe today.  OUCH!

Don't worry, rich people will just go up and live on their space station, just like the Tessier-Ashpools.

Offline

#4125 2021-10-28 18:23:08

jeffreyC
Member
Registered: 2019-09-07
Posts: 78

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

el_koraco wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

The world will never go back to what it was pre-covid days.  Those days are gone and lost forever.

It will go back to pre covid days in no time at all.

S11 is right.

As long as the virus keeps mutating (which will always happen) and people can get vaccinated and still catch it, it will never go away.

Social distancing is the new normal, masks will always be with us.

As long as those still apply we are not back to pre-Covid conditions.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB