You are not logged in.

#4051 2021-09-22 18:00:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Yes, Tattoo. Welcome to Fantasy de Island.

#4052 2021-09-23 09:35:44

misko_2083

hhh wrote:

^ WTF is with the Spanish "de" everywhere? Get your shit together, Asia.

I think this "mini mosquito killer" fries mosquitoes with 220 volts. Mosquitoes create short circuits.
It probably smells like burnt insects.
There is no way to test it, mosquito season is over.

hhh wrote:

Shi ba mie my ass.

That's hilarious! If you say that sentence to someone who knows Serbian it would very much sound like someone is whipping your ass. LoL

They use force, to make you do, what the deciders, have decided you must do!

#4053 2021-09-26 09:43:25

twoion
一期一会

For more than 2.5 months now, for most Firefox addons, no updates could be released, including µblock Origin, because Mozilla's autosigning and/or review mechanism is completely broken at the moment.

Remember, the Firefox stable channel can only run extensions that have been signed by Mozilla herself! This means, you need at least the Firefox Developer Edition in order to be able to use updated versions of µblock origin without having them signed my Mozilla.

I think these signs are highly concerning. Firefox' market share is hitting all time lows weekly, is funded basically 100% by Google, Mozilla employees care more about redesigning the browser chrome than making the actual browser and auxiliary services like addons.mozilla.org work, and their CEO is embezzling funds to the tune of multi-digit million salaries every year (read: at least 10 full-time expert software engineer salaries that would be direly needed to work on things that matter).

How much longer until Firefox will be just another front for Google's Blink engine, or Webkit? Have been using Firefox since about 2003, which is nearly a 20 year run, which is incredibly long for a codebase as complex as a modern web browser; now that the market share declines, this huge technical debt is looking like it is slowly moving to outweigh the capabilities of Mozilla org to maintain it. It's the last free browser that is capable of rendering the modern web at near 100% accuracy (in order to differentiate it from say lynx). Everything else is Apple (Safari, Webkit), Microsoft (Edge, Blink), or Google (Chrome, Blink).

#4054 2021-09-26 21:44:44

jeffreyC

^^ One of the reasons why I have switched to Waterfox.
Yes, I know it is based on Firefox code and when Mozilla finally destroys Firefox it will be gone too.

#4055 2021-09-26 22:54:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

twoion wrote:

Firefox' market share is hitting all time lows weekly, is funded basically 100% by Google, Mozilla employees care more about redesigning the browser chrome than making the actual browser and auxiliary services like addons.mozilla.org work, and their CEO is embezzling funds to the tune of multi-digit million salaries every year (read: at least 10 full-time expert software engineer salaries that would be direly needed to work on things that matter).

It's been all over the news, Firefox is seriously thinking about switching to Bing as the default search engine. I don't know, these browsers carry big bucks with them, don't count them out yet. Look at Opera, it's kicking ass.

https://www.opera.com/

#4056 2021-09-30 08:33:29

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

twoion wrote:

I think these signs are highly concerning. Firefox' market share is hitting all time lows weekly, is funded basically 100% by Google, Mozilla employees care more about redesigning the browser chrome than making the actual browser and auxiliary services like addons.mozilla.org work, and their CEO is embezzling funds to the tune of multi-digit million salaries every year (read: at least 10 full-time expert software engineer salaries that would be direly needed to work on things that matter).

How much longer until Firefox will be just another front for Google's Blink engine, or Webkit? Have been using Firefox since about 2003, which is nearly a 20 year run, which is incredibly long for a codebase as complex as a modern web browser; now that the market share declines, this huge technical debt is looking like it is slowly moving to outweigh the capabilities of Mozilla org to maintain it. It's the last free browser that is capable of rendering the modern web at near 100% accuracy (in order to differentiate it from say lynx). Everything else is Apple (Safari, Webkit), Microsoft (Edge, Blink), or Google (Chrome, Blink).

Thank you for this post and your assessment. smile

I am also very concerned about this condition. In particular, based on its rating of FF at the time, I chose uBlock Origin, uMatrix and Skip Redirect as the only addons.

Kuketz IT-Security Blog wrote:

Die erschreckende Wahrheit: Firefox ist das kleinste Übel. Alle anderen weit verbreiteten Browser geben sich beim Ausspionieren des Nutzers noch mehr Mühe oder sind einfach nicht quelloffen.

---
The scary truth: Firefox is the least evil. All other widely used browsers go to even more trouble spying on users or are simply not open source.

Last edited by unklar (2021-09-30 08:39:58)

#4057 2021-09-30 14:52:08

jeffreyC

twoion wrote:

You remember those 250 Mozilla employees they let go to cut costs (instead of reducing the pay of the C suite)?

They were the ones actually working on the internals of the browser.

Last edited by jeffreyC (2021-09-30 14:52:38)

#4058 2021-10-01 01:22:03

hhh
Meep!
Website

Right. How's Vivaldi doing?

uCaLFaQt.png

Hey now.

-edit- Sweet, it plays nice with Picom transparency...

Zh8VsEWt.png

#4059 2021-10-01 02:36:38

eight.bit.al

^ Ha Ha Nice! Love the font.

8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#4060 2021-10-01 05:26:27

glittersloth
buena piñata

twoion wrote:

Remember, the Firefox stable channel can only run extensions that have been signed by Mozilla herself! This means, you need at least the Firefox Developer Edition in order to be able to use updated versions of µblock origin without having them signed my Mozilla.

Not sure if it's been fully resolved yet, but when I manually checked for extension updates (I'm on FF92, non Nightly/Dev build) just now, LocalCDN and Chameleon were updated.

Still no updates for my other extensions though (my last uBO update was 5th Aug) but on a Reddit thread started by the uBO dev highlighting this issue, one of the newer posts from a few days ago stated that updates were being 'accepted' again, so let's wait and see.

I bet the Mozilla CEO will be giving himself a raise for this...

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-10-01 05:33:59)

#4061 2021-10-03 19:01:01

misko_2083

In hospital. Lungs infection and Covid positive.but I'm better now no more fever. Still breathing oxygen.UvStYZxm.jpg

They use force, to make you do, what the deciders, have decided you must do!

#4062 2021-10-03 20:28:26

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Misko - get better soon!!

#4063 2021-10-04 04:17:04

jeffreyC

hhh wrote:

Right. How's Vivaldi doing?

I have never had it work quite right.
When I try to open a web page or really do anything at all with it it will just sit there, if I bring any other window in front of the Vivaldi window then Vivaldi does what I wanted it to do however long ago that was.

So it looks nice to me, but it has been too much of a PITA to use.

#4064 2021-10-04 05:57:39

damo
....moderator....

misko_2083 wrote:

In hospital. Lungs infection and Covid positive.but I'm better now no more fever. Still breathing oxygen.https://i.imgur.com/UvStYZxm.jpg

Woah, bad luck with getting the virus. Hope it all works out OK for you

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4065 2021-10-04 16:04:42

twoion
一期一会

misko_2083 wrote:

In hospital. Lungs infection and Covid positive.but I'm better now no more fever. Still breathing oxygen.https://i.imgur.com/UvStYZxm.jpg

Hang in there. All the best.

#4066 2021-10-04 16:39:13

glittersloth
buena piñata

misko_2083 wrote:

Praying that you get aesthetically pleasing nurses. Keep us updated.

#4067 2021-10-04 19:52:19

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

misko_2083 wrote:

In hospital. Lungs infection and Covid positive.but I'm better now no more fever. Still breathing oxygen.

Fever down that has to be a good sign.
Get well we're here cheering for you.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#4068 2021-10-04 21:03:40

twoion
一期一会

Teehee, in case you haven't heard, Facebook Inc.'s internet properties have been down as they can be for almost 12 hours now smile I think our corner of the internet is much better than their stuff.

I do not wish to be the network engineer who likely has pushed the mad update to their BGP/router configs though. Hang in there buddy and thank you.

PS. Let's do Google next.

#4069 2021-10-05 02:20:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

Instagram didn't go down, which confuses me. I thought they were part of Facebook.

Ah, they are not. They are worth USD $13.3 billion, so I'm guessing they can hold their own...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter

It's incredible how ignorant people are of wealth and what a million is. A thousand dollars, that's ten times a 100 dollars. A 100,000 dollars, that's ten times $10,000.

A million dollars, that's ten times... now wait a second. That's a hundred piles of... no, that is a thousand piles of a thousand dollars. A hundred piles, each with 10,000 dollars in it. Ten piles of $100,000. A billion is a thousand piles of a million dollars! Right? So 13.3 billion is...

Thirteen thousand and three hundred piles, each of a million dollars.

#4070 2021-10-05 06:41:05

damo
....moderator....

There is a video by a science guy, Tom Scott, where he imagines a "stack" of a million dollar bills, laying flat on the ground in a car park. It is surprising how far he has to walk to get to the end of it.

Then he imagines a billion notes, and gets in his car. He drives, real time, for an hour, to get to the end.

It is obscene that people own much more than that sad

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4071 2021-10-05 08:07:26

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

Instagram didn't go down, which confuses me. I thought they were part of Facebook.

This was just on the BBC news. They said:
the outage was about 5 hours
Instagram and Wattsapp went down too
Instagram is owned by Facebook

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#4072 2021-10-05 08:43:02

Jimbo_G

I hope it didn't cause too many problems for people - around me it's quite common to rely on Facebook or Whatsapp to the point of not even having phone numbers for people, so it was back to the 1990s for some yesterday. Maybe it'll be a wake-up call (but probably not).

Any of you not know the phone numbers for one or two close family/friends, without the help of technology?

#4073 2021-10-05 17:34:50

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

twoion wrote:

PS. Let's do Google next.

+100⁷⁷³⁴

#4074 2021-10-05 17:44:38

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

johnraff wrote:
hhh wrote:

This was just on the BBC news. They said:
the outage was about 5 hours
Instagram and Wattsapp went down too
Instagram is owned by Facebook

I thought Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter?

In April 2012, Facebook acquired the service for approximately US$1 billion in cash and stock.

OH and and Oculus in 2014
Oculus is a brand of Facebook Technologies, LLC (formerly known as Oculus VR, LLC), a subsidiary of Facebook, Inc. The division produces virtual reality headsets, including the Oculus Rift and Oculus Quest lines.

More reasons to dislike MZ who IMHO stole FB from his classmates.

#4075 2021-10-05 22:05:39

jeffreyC

hhh wrote:

It's incredible how ignorant people are of wealth and what a million is. A thousand dollars, that's ten times a 100 dollars. A 100,000 dollars, that's ten times $10,000.

A million dollars, that's ten times... now wait a second. That's a hundred piles of... no, that is a thousand piles of a thousand dollars. A hundred piles, each with 10,000 dollars in it. Ten piles of $100,000. A billion is a thousand piles of a million dollars! Right? So 13.3 billion is...

Thirteen thousand and three hundred piles, each of a million dollars.

Reminds me of what the congressman said decades ago:
'A million here, a million there and pretty soon you are talking about real money.'

Board footer