You are not logged in.

#3901 2021-07-16 16:56:39

twoion
ほやほや

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

PSA: git is broken in buster-backports. https://superuser.com/questions/1642858 … hub-com-us And here I set why my builds to update mpv for the BL buster-backports repo didn't work. This is exactly what I like to hate on Debian for. Arch Linux manages to ship up to date software and is still more stable than literally any Debian edition. And the issue with buster-backports has been going on FOR MONTHS AND NOBODY CARED TO FIX THE UPLOAD.

Meanwhile, Valve releaes a portable PC gaming console based on [Arch Linux adapted as Steam OS 3 and KDE Plasma5](https://www.steamdeck.com/en/). Looking forward to learning whether this is based on Wayland or X11 smile

What's disappointing here however is the battery life. It uses a x86 based Zen chipset provided by AMD to get 6-8 hours of battery time. Meanwhile, the very first release of the ARM based M1 by Apple achieves easily more than 10 hours of screen time. It's unsurprising they stuck with x86 here but it also makes it clear just how much more efficient optimized ARM or RISC architectures are even with the massive development and optimization efforts that went into x86 over the years.

For that x86 vs ARM matter, at my current employer we moved our cloud based workloads (AWS) from Intel x86 based VMs to AMD EPYC (x86) and AWS Graviton (ARM) based nodes for some nice cost savings AND occasionally performance improvements (for our specific workloads). So unlike in the nascent ARM PC space, ARM is a well available solution in the cloud computing space. Of course, if you go ARM in the cloud, you're almost 100% certainly running Linux big_smile

Nassdachs

#3902 2021-07-16 18:52:35

glittersloth
buena piñata

twoion wrote:

Meanwhile, Valve releaes a portable PC gaming console based on [Arch Linux adapted as Steam OS 3 and KDE Plasma5](https://www.steamdeck.com/en/)
What's disappointing here however is the battery life. It uses a x86 based Zen chipset provided by AMD to get 6-8 hours of battery time.

If the advertised 6-8 hours is based on gaming, it's actually pretty good, I think.

A flagship iPhone 12 Max or Galaxy equivalent won't last that long playing something like Grand Theft Auto. I doubt any of the new M1 MacBooks could reach their advertised 10+ hours "browsing" battery life with a gaming load either (nobody makes games for MacOS, but you can play iOS/iPadOS games on them natively now).

It's also got better advertised battery life than the other gaming handheld on the market, Nintendo's Switch, which tops out around the 5-6 hour mark, but realistically more like 3-4 hours playing something like Zelda:BoTW.

EdiT:
Did some reading. Official site says 2-8 hours. That makes more sense. I struggle to see how that APU coupled with a 40Whr battery will get you beyond 3hrs playing a modern first-person shooter.

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-07-17 08:45:21)

#3903 2021-07-23 11:21:01

ohnonot
...again

glittersloth wrote:

EdiT:
Did some reading. Official site says 2-8 hours. That makes more sense. I struggle to see how that APU coupled with a 40Whr battery will get you beyond 3hrs playing a modern first-person shooter.

I heard the same on latenightlinux. They guess it's going to be more like an hour of full-on playing, 2h max, anything beyond that is not playing games.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#3904 2021-07-23 18:46:57

twoion
ほやほや

vim plugins you never knew you were missing:

https://github.com/tpope/vim-commentary

Nassdachs

#3905 2021-07-25 09:57:19

twoion
ほやほや

I decided to get off of crappy cheap WLAN routers and onto Ubiquity network equipment. I'll redo the wireless networking in my own apartment and later at my parent's house using UAP-AC-LITEs and UAP-AC-PROs. I have 1 AP arriving next week at my apartment to test it out.

Last month, first the 2.4GHz and then the 5Ghz module in my ISP's crappy router stopped working at random points so my hand got kinda forced to find a replacement. Had to make do with using my laptop as a Wifi hotspot which wasn't optimal in terms of possible throughput (could not get 5GHz AP mode to work neither on my Thinkpad x240 from 2014 using Linux + hostapd nor on my new XMG Core 15 w/ Windows 10, and 5GHz kinda is not optional for moving real data around on a wireless network -- I regularly download media from my laptop to my Android phone, for example).

Home network technology looks liks the same kind of money sink like HiFi to me now --- so much interesting stuff to try. At work I regularly had to do with Cisco switches, routers & ASA. Wish I could afford the power and the space to just host a rack of stuff (because my apartment is too small, the noise alone makes this impossible).

Nassdachs

#3906 2021-07-25 14:24:42

glittersloth
buena piñata

^ I was considering Ubiquiti equipment for the longest time, considering they were a "techie's underdog darling" brand when I first heard of them. Don't want to burst your bubble, but recent reading suggests they aren't quite the same company they once were;
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03 … -takeover/
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/03/whi … astrophic/
Seems like the company culture started to change when they were bought over by an investment group a few years ago. Then again, I suppose most companies in this market have similar baggage and skeletons in their closet, so Ubiquiti's issues are likely ubiquitous (sic).

I do agree that home networking is a bit of a rabbithole. So many different setups and options to choose from, even for a simpleton studio unit dweller like myself.

My old DD-WRT powered TP-Link gave up the ghost early last year, a couple of days before the first beervirus lockdown came into effect in my city. Had a whole folder of notes, links and guides for various setups/models to consider — MikroTik, Netgate, DD-WRT pre-flashed LinkSys from FlashRouters, GL-iNet, Ubiquity, Sabai Technologies, Intel NUC as router, some special firmware for Netgear routers whose name I can't remember, some other enterprise brands — all with their own sets or pros and cons (and questionable PR/security practices in some cases), but timing was bad with regards to work and also the shipping crunch at the time, so I just drove to the nearest physical store and picked up a midrange Asus. It's running well a year on (security updates at least once a month) but I'm still looking at getting something more trustworthy down the line. Currently got my eye on one of the PepLink "SOHO" models.

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-07-25 14:56:53)

#3907 2021-07-25 16:36:53

el_koraco

glittersloth wrote:

before the first beervirus lockdown came into effect in my city

Welcome to the jungle. The lockdowns work, you know. Doesn't matter what the results are, the lockdowns work.

#3908 2021-07-25 16:39:21

el_koraco

twoion wrote:

Home network technology looks liks the same kind of money sink like HiFi to me now

I think it's worse. I purposefully gave up on a home set up when I found out just how much I was salivating at the idea of ssh-ing into a cracked router, which would inevitably lead me to brick it at some point because I knew I couldn't stop fiddling with a perfectly good set up, then get another one...

#3909 2021-07-25 16:39:53

twoion
ほやほや

glittersloth wrote:

^ I was considering Ubiquiti equipment for the longest time, considering they were a "techie's underdog darling" brand when I first heard of them. Don't want to burst your bubble,

THey seem to work without cloud integration at all (just LAN based config via App or so, no cloud key or this shit and you get SSH access also) and anyhow I'm planing a VLAN-based setup where the control plane should not have internet connectivity at all (just the WLANs). I'll play with the device and see how it goes. Regarding the breach --- every other router brand is just as shitty, from Juniper over Cisco to Linksys. The firmwares are just no good generally. I might go to a dd-wrt based solution or so but I'm looking for WPA3 support and most importantly excellt WLAN hardware & software, which seems also impossible to come by these days.

My first choice would have been Apple AirPort because they are halfway decent and Apple is somewhat good at both hardware & software. Unfortunately, like any other good product of course, discontinued.

Nassdachs

#3910 2021-07-25 17:05:13

glittersloth
buena piñata

el_koraco wrote:
glittersloth wrote:

before the first beervirus lockdown came into effect in my city

Welcome to the jungle. The lockdowns work, you know. Doesn't matter what the results are, the lockdowns work.

I never implied they didn't. Just that the timing coincided with my router dying, hence inconvenient (for router hunting).

#3911 2021-07-25 18:32:19

twoion
ほやほや

el_koraco wrote:
twoion wrote:

Home network technology looks liks the same kind of money sink like HiFi to me now

I think it's worse. I purposefully gave up on a home set up when I found out just how much I was salivating at the idea of ssh-ing into a cracked router, which would inevitably lead me to brick it at some point because I knew I couldn't stop fiddling with a perfectly good set up, then get another one...

I still have PTSD from bricking my Sansa Clip+ music player in 2010 (I still was in high school and so did not have a lot of money, and had to spend most of it on mobility anyway, leaving like €20 a month for other things). The player supported installing Rockbox. Which was a very nice software, but the Clip+ really was a teeny tiny player that really had everything it needed using the stock firmware...but of course I really was into Linux and stuff at the time so I immediately installed Rockbox. It worked, for the first time, then after some changes it kinda bricked. Still a bit sad about it, it was such a great device (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻

Nassdachs

#3912 2021-07-25 22:26:51

hhh
Meep!
Website

Just commenting that it makes me feel better knowing that the most sophisticated, Internet savvy user on this forum (twoion, our forum and website guru) is still bricking stuff. El_K as well.

Rock on, dudes.

#3913 2021-07-26 00:31:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

twoion wrote:

...my ISP's crappy router...

Reading this discussion with interest because my (recent) ISP's router is pretty bad too. WIFI hardly reaches to the next room, and if I change too many settings it sulks and has to be reset. neutral
Cannot be dumped though because it's also the modem, so I'm now planning to switch off WIFI and plug a real router of some kind into a single LAN outlet...

(Respect to the people who understand networking.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3914 2021-07-26 01:07:46

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Networking is definitely a complex thing to get right,  I might have just been lucky that I was able to use my own modem and router with my current network setup.

Peripheral, SBC, and router addict lmao
Keeb & SSD Discussions

#3915 2021-07-26 03:32:54

glittersloth
buena piñata

johnraff wrote:
twoion wrote:

...my ISP's crappy router...

Reading this discussion with interest because my (recent) ISP's router is pretty bad too. WIFI hardly reaches to the next room, and if I change too many settings it sulks and has to be reset. neutral
Cannot be dumped though because it's also the modem, so I'm now planning to switch off WIFI and plug a real router of some kind into a single LAN outlet...

You can get a dedicated access point. Just be careful not to get a power-over-ethernet (POE) type, since it’s unlikely your ISP-issued modem/router has that feature. You can also get a regular wireless router and configure it as an access point. For the time being, make sure to disable remote management in you current router settings, if possible.

C#Coder4ever wrote:

Networking is definitely a complex thing to get right,  I might have just been lucky that I was able to use my own modem and router with my current network setup.

Getting basic home connectivity is pretty simple. It’s getting a secure home network that’s the challenge.

Then there’s your connection to the outside world – where you’ll be running a RaspberryPi as a ping machine, studying smokeping graphs for every VPS providers in your region in an attempt to determine the one with the best peering with your ISP, cross-referencing AS numbers in the traceroute against transit provider listings for your local IX on peering.db – all to determine which server to roll your own VPN and DNSCrypt proxy on.

Yes, you’ll effectively have no life at that point…

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-07-26 03:50:05)

#3916 2021-07-26 04:26:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

glitter's good at making people feel inadequate.  sad

#3917 2021-07-26 04:28:28

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...getting attacks of Imposter Syndrome lately...

#3918 2021-07-26 07:21:22

damo
....moderator....

johnraff wrote:

glitter's good at making people feel inadequate.  sad

I am in awe of his clever use of pithy language big_smile

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3919 2021-07-26 07:25:37

el_koraco

twoion wrote:

I still have PTSD from bricking my Sansa Clip+ music player in 2010 (I still was in high school and so did not have a lot of money, and had to spend most of it on mobility anyway, leaving like €20 a month for other things). The player supported installing Rockbox. Which was a very nice software, but the Clip+ really was a teeny tiny player that really had everything it needed using the stock firmware...but of course I really was into Linux and stuff at the time so I immediately installed Rockbox. It worked, for the first time, then after some changes it kinda bricked. Still a bit sad about it, it was such a great device (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻

You had to flash a music player that had three lines on the screen? Nice.

#3920 2021-07-26 08:22:24

Martin
Website

+1 for the Clip+
I had one for many years. I never tried Rockbox but I did repair it multiple times.

Eventually (last year) it was beyond repair and I bought what looked like its replacement, a ClipJam. It has the same size and shape and almost looks the same. Innards and SW are different though and not better. It takes longer to start and does not work properly with free audio-books from librivox.org. I can't keep track of which chapter I have already listened to which is a bit of a problem when listening to a book with 52 chapters. <conspiracy theory on> It has a pre-configured folder for audio-books from Amazon. Did Amazon ask SanDisk to cripple the functionality for non-Amazon books? <conspiracy theory off>

Otherwise the ClipJam is fine.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#3921 2021-07-26 08:42:53

twoion
ほやほや

glittersloth wrote:

Just be careful not to get a power-over-ethernet (POE) type, since it’s unlikely your ISP-issued modem/router has that feature.

For this situation there are PoE injectors. Ubiquity stuff is PoE by default in most cases, and it comes with an injector in the box. So if there's good hardware with PoE (which most good hardware seems to be --- it is more enterprise after all) go for it smile One more advantage of PoE is that the devices themselves do not have an associated power brick or are large because it's built in.

Nassdachs

#3922 2021-07-26 09:48:52

glittersloth
buena piñata

twoion wrote:
glittersloth wrote:

Just be careful not to get a power-over-ethernet (POE) type, since it’s unlikely your ISP-issued modem/router has that feature.

For this situation there are PoE injectors. Ubiquity stuff is PoE by default in most cases, and it comes with an injector in the box.

Interesting. Did not know they came in the box. The only POE capable AP I've handled (helping setup an acquaintance's office) in recent years was from FS, but don't recall if there were injectors or switches included, since we plugged it into the WAN gateway box. The only first-hand experience I have with POE injectors is for smart lighting bulbs. I think those are the "passive" type (meaning not requiring handshake) though.

For @john, although he should be able to find reputable local resellers, would he need to pay attention to voltage requirements (because Japan) for the POE injector if importing?

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-07-26 09:51:12)

#3923 2021-07-26 09:54:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Thanks for the concern, but I don't plan to import any exotic hardware. Japan's AC is ~115V I think, so similar to US. But get this: 60HZ here, 50Hz in Tokyo...

There's plenty of cheap hardware in the shops here anyway.

#3924 2021-07-26 10:10:13

glittersloth
buena piñata

^ I can't recall the exact numbers, but with a lot of audio-related hardware (mainly rotary mixers), voltage was a concern back when I was there and moved to different countries. Many moons ago though. I assume PSUs in network hardware will account for that, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-07-26 10:18:39)

#3925 2021-07-26 13:47:29

eight.bit.al

Dune | Official Main Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk

and for balance

Cat Ears Waggle with Your Brain Waves

https://www.reviewgeek.com/93068/these- … ain-waves/

Happy Monday. smile

8bit

If art is how we decorate space; music is how we decorate time.

Board footer