You are not logged in.

#3576 2020-10-24 11:00:02

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

After reading a bit more - here and here - I now realise that what happened is specific to the US legal system - gihub.com is forced to shut down the repos in question, otherwise they're becoming a target of possible legal claims just like the developers of youtube-dl.
So that makes the really fast takedown understandable.
I've said it many times: don't host your stuff on servers subject to US law!

BTW, the actual youtube-dl website is still up and unaffected (except for the parts that grab data straight from the github repo). Let's hope it stays that way. It's hosted in Germany.

Of course many people are cloning the repo, or putting their local copies online, but ATM I am most worried about continued, centralised development...

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-10-24 11:04:32)

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#3577 2020-10-24 14:44:18

sleekmason

I really want to say something more than has already been said, but I wouldn't know what it would be.  makes me both sad and angry the direction the United States has been going in, (obviously), but more so, the "where's mine" attitude that seems so prevalent in today's world.
That the maintainers have to obtain legal representation on their dime is horrible as well.  Really turns off others from contributing I'm sure. Very sad.

#3578 2020-10-24 15:09:09

twoion
ほやほや

hhh wrote:

^ This is coinciding with the death of Google Play Music, my phone wants me to switch to YT Music. Glad I migrated to Spotify months ago.

I liked Play Music, because it was for a long time besides the itunes store the only place to purchase certain albums for DRM free download. I think they had it for 7 to 10 years or so? End of an era (nothing unusual in Google land, Google Graveyard and such).

Per aspera ad astra.

#3579 2020-10-24 15:13:53

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:

After reading a bit more - here and here - I now realise that what happened is specific to the US legal system - gihub.com is forced to shut down the repos in question, otherwise they're becoming a target of possible legal claims just like the developers of youtube-dl.
So that makes the really fast takedown understandable.
I've said it many times: don't host your stuff on servers subject to US law!

BTW, the actual youtube-dl website is still up and unaffected (except for the parts that grab data straight from the github repo). Let's hope it stays that way. It's hosted in Germany.

Of course many people are cloning the repo, or putting their local copies online, but ATM I am most worried about continued, centralised development...

The problem is, without a central source to aggregate contributions you can't gain the critical mass a project that is as complicated as ytdl (just look at the code -- it's basically a framework for downloading everything and anything, complete with JavaScript evaluation, as evidenced by the 100s of sites it supports) and ytdl was in the case of popular sites always an arms race. This idea is something Github (the original company) understood well and early. You have, in open-source land, either grown communities or projects that are more classic (LKML, suckless, GNU, ...) and have their own infrastructure, and the developments of the last 15 years, which also encompass very, very popular projects, and these had their genesis on shared platforms like github ("put it on github" -- they really were the first guys to do VCS in the cloud right). So that's a problem -- how to continue the new-style projects which grew on those aggregation platforms WITHOUT USING US INFRASTRUCTURE.

Per aspera ad astra.

#3580 2020-10-24 17:21:12

ohnonot
...again
Website

It seems the RIAA's claim hangs on the fact that there's some examples in the code (comments I guess) that mention actual artists and their YT links, and how to extract audio files from that.
Personally, I think the whole thing will fall apart when

• these examples are removed everywhere and more careful phrasing is applied (I have actually wondered about that before, reading ytdl docs)

• somebody realises (or makes RIAA lawyers realise) that ffmpeg is doing the actual extraction (separating video and audio), python is doing the actual downloading and heavy lifting, and should we take those down as well? (*)

I don't think they can go after the code itself, i.e. I don't think they can make youtube-dl illegal.

Still, they can give the devs a pretty hard time. I just hope they stand up to it, and I hope github will see reason soon enough.

Frankly I don't know how these things go in the US of NA; if one has to comply with a takedown notice quickly, one also has to lift it quickly when it turns to be unfunded, or when the immediately offending object (the links to RIAA artist's videos) is removed, I would think?

(*) this just smacks of people who are technologically clueless - but they are not legally clueless, and I guess they knew what they were doing when they went after these artists links.

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-10-24 17:23:51)

my repos / my repos

#3581 2020-10-25 05:54:20

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:

It seems the RIAA's claim hangs on the fact that there's some examples in the code (comments I guess) that mention actual artists and their YT links, and how to extract audio files from that.

I read that the specific copyright material references were in test functions, ie in the actual code. That was a serious legal mistake on the part of the yt-dl devs IMO, considering they could just as easily have used something free.

Look how careful Debian always are about legal niceties - at times like this it's easier to see why.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3582 2020-10-25 08:05:23

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:

Look how careful Debian always are about legal niceties - at times like this it's easier to see why.

Not only Debian, it used to be a common thing to deliberately mis-spell certain companies' names, or URL's etc. Maybe there's some merit behind that, beyond looking "leet".

Anyhow, currently there doesn't seem to be a central channel for youtube-dl related communication.
That irks me.
They have their website, but beyond a short notice it hasn't changed since yesterday. I guess the site maintainers are still reeling from the initial impact.
Those reddit/HN-style comment threads are pretty useless anyhow, and with no new material coming in they're also dying.
Or? Twiitter maybe? Any comment from the (main) devs themselves?

my repos / my repos

#3583 2020-10-31 21:29:30

twoion
ほやほや

It seems like Sir Sean Connery has passed away...time's not stopping eh.

Per aspera ad astra.

#3584 2020-10-31 22:53:54

rbh

twoion wrote:

Sir Sean Connery has passed away...time's not stopping eh.

He has made many good characters. I'm just watching hon in "Red October" on the TV.

GoodBay.

// Regards rbh

#3585 2020-11-01 07:33:54

nore
>2⁹

^^"There can be only one."

#3586 2020-11-01 08:31:56

cog
Developer
Website

Indy!! RIP old boy.  We’ll see you soon.

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

#3587 2020-11-01 08:35:17

cog
Developer
Website

I really like Tom Hanks.  What’s y’all’s opinions on him?  I think he’s one of the most talented we’ve seen in our lifetimes.  Big, Money Pit, FORREST GUMP, Castaway, Cloud Atlas.  He can really do a lot of different stuff with his gift for acting.

Last edited by cog (2020-11-01 08:36:37)

#3588 2020-11-01 10:06:12

glittersloth
...village idiot

twoion wrote:

It seems like Sir Sean Connery has passed away...time's not stopping eh.

His greatest moment: That scene in the airplane from Highlander II. Well, actually the woman next to him and the in-flight TV made it what it is, but he was at least part of it.

Worst achievement: Making that horrid twin stripe NATO strap trendy.

#3589 2020-11-01 11:47:21

twoion
ほやほや

cog wrote:

I really like Tom Hanks

I really only have seen The Green Mile where he starred, which is an excellent movie. I might watch Apollo 13, it's on Netflix currently.

Per aspera ad astra.

#3590 2020-11-01 16:44:41

glittersloth
...village idiot

cog wrote:

I really like Tom Hanks.  What’s y’all’s opinions on him?  I think he’s one of the most talented we’ve seen in our lifetimes.  Big, Money Pit, FORREST GUMP, Castaway, Cloud Atlas.  He can really do a lot of different stuff with his gift for acting.

Good actor. Supposedly down to earth as well - ie; not the kind to drag along a large entourage/groupies or give attitude to production staff. I can't remember the title of the most recent flick I saw with him starring, but it was pretty good. About him being some sort of diplomat trying to do a prisoner exchange involving an East German or Russian spy dude.

twoion wrote:

I really only have seen The Green Mile where he starred, which is an excellent movie. I might watch Apollo 13, it's on Netflix currently.

Speaking of Netflix, I keep getting this recommendation for a German medieval/historical series called Barbarians/Barbaren on my Netflix recommendations list for some reason (probably because I just finished The Witcher). Have you (or anyone here) seen it? If yes, is it worth the time?

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-11-01 16:45:53)

#3591 2020-11-01 17:01:28

twoion
ほやほや

glittersloth wrote:
twoion wrote:

Speaking of Netflix, I keep getting this recommendation for a German medieval/historical series called Barbarians/Barbaren on my Netflix recommendations list for some reason (probably because I just finished The Witcher). Have you (or anyone here) seen it? If yes, is it worth the time?

No.. Haven't heard of this series until now.

Per aspera ad astra.

#3592 2020-11-02 01:09:28

hhh
Meep!
Website

Tom Hanks, two scenes. Early Tom, The Money Pit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2rVcxkbIQc

Late Tom, Captain Philips...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMDdT24_98

These posts do not include anything from Forrest Gump, which I hate, or Sleepless In Seattle, which makes me cry every time I see it, or You've Got Mail, which is improper English (You have mail.) Or crappy movies like Turner and Hooch or Joe vs. The Volcano.

Sully, that's a good roll for him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSlbHK07fkY

Cast Away and Cloud Atlas were both amazing. Wilson!

#3593 2020-11-02 01:27:03

hhh
Meep!
Website

Tom Hanks - The Terminal. A lot of movies with travel involved, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhXz8vDGEjc

Big...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Kv8mnxdCM

#3594 2020-11-02 06:14:26

cog
Developer
Website

@hhh and @glittercritter

Yeah lots of titles that I didn’t include.  He’s pretty good at what he does.  Was just trying to mention a multi-faceted actor.  Green mile, big (trippy) just watched Larry crown (a romance) blew my mind seeing him do that.  Just came on this drive a friend lent us.

What about Robert Duvall?? True grit, Lonsome dove. THX911.  Kind of an interesting career too... ?!

#3595 2020-11-02 06:16:19

cog
Developer
Website

@hhh the terminal was a mind drag

#3596 2020-11-02 09:48:04

glittersloth
...village idiot

cog wrote:

What about Robert Duvall??

His standout performance for me will always be Lt. Col Kilgore in Apocalypse Now. I'd quote a line, but almost every single line he had in that film is quotable.

Also, can we do comedy? Google is great at comedy.
Joke of the decade; https://one.google.com/about/vpn

I do pity the folks at The Onion though. Satire has become real life in 2020 and they've got nothing to lampoon now.

#3597 2020-11-02 14:33:13

ratcheer

My favorite Sean Connery movie was From Russia, With Love. It defined James Bond for me.

#3598 2020-11-03 01:29:34

cog
Developer
Website

@glittersloth

Yeah he was epic on Apocolypse now.  Martin Sheen was real good too.

Why don’t you trust google?? They only want all your base.  Lol

#3599 2020-11-05 03:49:10

hhh
Meep!
Website

A tiny gem from later in his career, Robert Duvall and Michael Caine in Secondhand Lions (2003).

No Google was used in this revie... No Google was used in thi... No Google was used i... No Goo... No...

That was very HAL from 2001, wasn't it? That was good.

#3600 2020-11-05 05:55:10

glittersloth
...village idiot

Board footer