You are not logged in.

#3276 2020-02-17 05:21:10

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

OK OK no "What are you (thinking of) eating right now" thread. (~_~)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3277 2020-02-17 05:57:46

hhh
Meep!
Website

Po-ta-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihMMw0rnKz4

Taters. Cover 'em in ketchup.

#3278 2020-02-17 06:00:35

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

johnraff wrote:

^Any hints? https://i.imgur.com/zeKQNAL.png

(Maybe we could use a food thread...)

Cook it in a good quality frypan/skillet.  Oil the meat, not the pan.

Make sure you rest it once cooking big_smile

Never, and I mean never, cook it to well done.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/

#3279 2020-02-17 06:47:54

hhh
Meep!
Website

Dobbie03 wrote:

Make sure you rest it once cooking big_smile

5-10 minutes, longer for a thicker cut, say twelve minutes. Always undercook if you're uncertain. A good restaurant will make you a new meal, because you can't re-use used food if you're a good restaurant, but throwing a steak back on the grill or into the broiler at home is perfectly acceptable.

#3280 2020-02-17 07:37:21

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:

Maybe we could use a food thread...

Seems we don't have one - no threads with eat, cook or food in the title (that search isn't case-sensitive, is it?).

My last experience on a different forum was a little disappointing - most guys seemed to be posting weekend BBQ "recipes" or in any case it was clear that cooking was not an everyday occurence for them - but I suspect it would be different here.
And I don't see the topic having any more flame war potential than anyt other topic.
Said, done.

#3281 2020-02-17 08:00:15

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

I recall there has been a few discussions about 'free' mobile phones ... this looks interesting:

/e/ (formerly Eelo), a mobile operating system that is based on Android, but with the pieces associated with Google's software and services removed.

Link on Distrowatch where I saw it for the first time.
Link to official web page.

Apparently, one can order refurbished phone from them, or install 'free Android' on supported devices.

At the moment they ship only in Europe.

(Sorry if this already has been discussed here ...)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#3282 2020-02-17 14:07:55

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

johnraff wrote:

OK OK no "What are you (thinking of) eating right now" thread. (~_~)

All the stuff I am not allowed to eat ... "stents" are a food killer.

glittersloth wrote:

Edit:
Fwiw, I made a decadent salad of sliced avocados, premium Portuguese sardines (the tin art is epic on these Mediterranean brands, fyi), cocktail onions and olives, all coated in a dressing made from Greek yoghurt, extra virgin olive oil (that came with the sardines), herbs and a nice spoonful of truffle pate. That's right, I've out-hipstered @hhh's restaurant.

YUM YUM .. except for the sardines - not fussy on those - but I'd try it once.  I have to eat rabbit foo a lot.
Olives I'd have to make sure are washed if they come in salted brine.

@hhh - katchup, mustard, BBQ sauce etc = NO, NO! and NO!! Not allowed. {sigh}

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#3283 2020-02-17 14:50:24

glittersloth
...straight talkin'

ohnonot wrote:

...I don't see the topic having any more flame war potential than any other topic.
Said, done.

Great. We are officially the new Pinterest. Apologies in advance to that guy who says avocados taste like soap, for I suspect it'll be a soapy thread.

Sector11 wrote:

YUM YUM .. except for the sardines - not fussy on those - but I'd try it once.

Yeah, sardines are rather divisive. You either love em or you don't - no demilitarized zone whatsoever it seems. In tinned form, I prefer them to tuna or salmon. Less micro-plastics too. Personal tip; Apple Cider Vinegar > Lemon Juice for taking a bit of the "fishiness" out of em.

iMBeCil wrote:

I recall there has been a few discussions about 'free' mobile phones ... this looks interesting:

/e/ (formerly Eelo), a mobile operating system that is based on Android, but with the pieces associated with Google's software and services removed.

Yes, they've been mentioned a few times before, most recently here; https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6387

Sorry doesn't cut it. Now write the word "dunce" on your funnel and go sit in a corner somewhere!! Either that or go post some gourmet sarma recipes in that new food thread. =P

#3284 2020-02-18 01:22:22

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

Great. We are officially the new Pinterest.

With better posts and less pictures, for the time being.

Apologies in advance to that guy who says avocados taste like soap, for I suspect it'll be a soapy thread.

What? Soap avocados? I've heard it said about the pickled ginger that comes with sushi, and cilantro soap effects a small percentage of people, but avocados? I've never heard that before.

g-slosth wrote:

Sorry doesn't cut it. Now write the word "dunce" on your funnel and go sit in a corner somewhere!! Either that or go post some gourmet sarma recipes in that new food thread. =P

Sarma or swarma? Salsa or seltzer? Pepper or peppers? Tomatoes or tomatoes? No, hold the tomatoes. 86 tomatoes, unless they're heirloom and served freshly sliced and dusted with fresh-ground pepper, or in a sauce, or in catsup ketchup.  It could be a fun thread.

Just... just back off with that can of tomato paste, you're scaring me. What, tomato soup with a grill cheese sandwich? You're pushing the envelope, slow your role. Dude, get that tomato off my burger. I already have tomato on it, two layers of catsup dawg. Why you tryin' to add more mush to my mushy bun and mushy burger patty? The only thing crisp in here is the dill pickle slices, get that tomato away from my plate!

#3285 2020-02-18 03:08:44

glittersloth
...straight talkin'

hhh wrote:

What? Soap avocados? I've heard it said about the pickled ginger that comes with sushi, and cilantro soap effects a small percentage of people, but avocados? I've never heard that before.

It was Bearded_Blunder; https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 265#p82265
I suspect they simply weren't ripe enough in his case, but you never know. Tastes differ wildly. There are some people in the world that genuinely like Chris de Burgh (shudder) for instance.

#3286 2020-02-18 03:51:46

nore
>2⁹

hhh wrote:

What? Soap avocados?

People with latex allergy tend to say avocados and sometimes bananas taste like soap.  They can also experience itch in mouth area or stomach ache.

#3287 2020-02-18 08:05:29

misko_2083

hhh wrote:
g-slosth wrote:

Sarma or swarma? Salsa or seltzer? Pepper or peppers? Tomatoes or tomatoes? No, hold the tomatoes. 86 tomatoes, unless they're heirloom and served freshly sliced and dusted with fresh-ground pepper, or in a sauce, or in catsup ketchup.  It could be a fun thread.

This is becoming a cooking course. I love sarma with both cabage and grape leaves.

Malm accidentaly woke me up at 1 o'clock last night. I almost fell out of the bed.
Weird dream after that. I had a dream my mother was driving a car.
First I was driving then we switched and she was driving on a road that goes through the forest.
I was telling her to slow down.
She never drove a car in her life.

I mentioned this dream to my mother and she couldn't belive it.
"That's exactly what I was dreaming." - she said.
She had a very similar dream. Only it was another women in the car with her, her friend.
She was also driving through the forest.
I can't belive it.

Што ни оштровиди ум сагледати не може - љубав превазилази.

#3288 2020-02-18 08:35:39

Jimbo_G

Quite a nice article about Amazon: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/CLQYZENMBI/amazon-data

#3289 2020-02-18 08:43:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ nice. One should always write dreams down.
BTW, I think we have a dream thread here, for those one'd like to share.

iMBeCil wrote:

Link on Distrowatch where I saw it for the first time.
Link to official web page.

Apparently, one can order refurbished phone from them, or install 'free Android' on supported devices.

At the moment they ship only in Europe.

My Oneplus3 is running it well, for...  almost a year I think. Stable. Updates coming in regularly.
IMO, it needs a little finishing to take away the online alternatives /e/ provides, like account, software store etc.
But I am done with Android (famous last words, haha) and am selling this phone now.
If anybody's interested to get it with /e/ on it, PM me.

#3290 2020-02-19 02:26:02

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

There are some people in the world that genuinely like Chris de Burgh (shudder) for instance.

Of "Lady In Red" fame, I had to look it up. That is an obscure reference...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_de_Burgh

#3291 2020-02-19 02:44:43

hhh
Meep!
Website

Two, of many, of my personal "what in the actual thing happened to make this musician famous" questions. First one is a "singer/songwriter"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dOZFu4QuRU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Newman

Randy Newman's only radio "hit" that I'm aware of, a novelty song from 1977 called "Short People"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfyS-S-IJs

I'll be honest... watching and hearing that after all these years makes me like Randy Newman a little more. Pretty sure that vocal mic is a Telefunken, maybe even a U-47. @glittersloth? Those headphones look pretty badass for '77 as well.

Personal, because it's a violinist. Lindsey Sterling. She's adorable, she looks like an elf. But she plays Suzuki scales and arpeggios while doing ballet poses, give me a break...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsN7E35LpJE

#3292 2020-02-19 06:20:16

Martin
Website

"Short People" a la King's Singers:
https://youtu.be/ANIj1wfMuK4

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#3293 2020-02-19 10:22:51

Jimbo_G

@hhh I can only assume that what Randy Newman does is a lot harder than it looks. But it would be interesting to know just how long it takes him to compose something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuBhh1HENkU

#3294 2020-02-20 00:41:43

hhh
Meep!
Website

Jimbo_G wrote:

@hhh I can only assume that what Randy Newman does is a lot harder than it looks. But it would be interesting to know just how long it takes him to compose something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuBhh1HENkU

Video Unavailable. Good News, from the film James and the Giant Peach? OK, he spent countless hours on the full soundtrack, I'm sure. But that track? He probably wrote that in a day and spent a week producing it. Something about news, I can't remember if it was good or bad news, the message got lost in the repetition, I zoned out. I bet The Simpsons produced their version in 3 hours...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

#3295 2020-02-25 16:11:13

Sun For Miles

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#3296 2020-02-25 18:06:34

twoion
ほやほや

Sun For Miles wrote:
network.trr.mode=5

in about:config should do the trick. Though, I agree, almost everybody who uses Firefox will be using DoH, because they don't know or care about these things.

Wahllos schlägt das Schicksal zu / heute ich und morgen du.

#3297 2020-02-25 20:43:14

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

^^^^ Which does what exactly?

I see in the article it says:

We’re enabling DoH by default only in the US. If you’re outside of the US and would like to enable DoH, you’re welcome to do so by going to Settings, then General, then scroll down to Networking Settings and click the Settings button on the right. Here you can enable DNS over HTTPS by clicking, and a checkbox will appear. By default, this change will send your encrypted DNS requests to Cloudflare.

Users have the option to choose between two providers — Cloudflare and NextDNS — both of which are trusted resolvers. Go to Settings, then General, then scroll down to Network Settings and click the Settings button on the right. From there, go to Enable DNS over HTTPS, then use the pull down menu to select the provider as your resolver.

blah blah - instructions

Those need to be done too.  As well, or not at all

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#3298 2020-02-26 08:03:46

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:
Sun For Miles wrote:
network.trr.mode=5

in about:config should do the trick. Though, I agree, almost everybody who uses Firefox will be using DoH, because they don't know or care about these things.

This seems to be FF's current policy: All the new hot cloud & data brokering shit enabled by default, but always configurable (with an off switch) via user.js. I hope they stick to that policy.

#3299 2020-02-26 11:30:54

Sun For Miles

I hope so as well, and I currently use FF as my main browser across all of my devices because I can configure it the way I want.

On the other hand, PiHole guys made me happy last night by issuing a quick update that I've applied as soon as I've noticed it: Pi-hole Core v4.4 - Prevent Firefox from automatically switching to DoH. It takes double-checking the canary domain and blacklists, but nice to see that the guys are so agile.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#3300 2020-02-26 15:04:30

ratcheer

There are several problems with DoH, but the one that rankles me is that I lose the ability to block a site using the time-honored method of redirecting it in my HOSTS file. DoH goes straight from the browser to the DoH DNS. DoH is strongly intended to NOT be bypassable, or even detectable, by the user.

I currently use network.trr.mode=5, but I worry that someday they will remove even that.

PS - I just checked my setting, and Mozilla had reverted it to 0. I was able to set it back to 5, but like I say, they could remove the possibility to do this in the future.

Last edited by ratcheer (2020-02-26 15:07:00)

Board footer