You are not logged in.

#3176 2020-01-04 21:45:45

misko_2083

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

I'm stuck with Linux for now.
Registration fee for an old junk car, 2000cc, 10+ years old is equal to one monthly salary.
Car registration fee lasts for one year, which means one month of work to register an old car every year. If the car is younger than 10 years the fees go higher.
I'm wondering how much do people pay for the car regitration compared to salary and how long does it lasts in other countries.

Што ни оштровиди ум сагледати не може - љубав превазилази.

#3177 2020-01-04 22:08:36

damo
....moderator....

In the UK, "road tax" varies according to emission values. The lowest band is zero tax, the highest is £570 (€670).

My Toyota Yaris is in Band 'D', so £125/year.  UK average salary is £3k/month (which is a lot more than I earn!)

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3178 2020-01-05 00:58:44

misko_2083

Thanks for sharing. It's not even close to the whole monthly salary.

Here they say an average salary is about 500€, but in a corrupt country like this I would not be surprised if they lied about the average salary.
Realistically it's 400 euros, or less, and usually less.
Half of it to pay for utilities, add more for food and other basic stuff.
When the salaries go up the all the bills are more expensive, and you are right where you started: surviving from month to month.

#3179 2020-01-05 01:59:51

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

We have a number of what  you guys call road taxes here in NZ. 

- A Warrant of Fitness which costs about $100.  This makes sure your car is kept in a safe condition
- Registration - Depending on your safety rating this can cost between $85 - 250 per year.  My car is in the top bracket of safety ratings so I pay around $84 per year.
- Road User Charges - These are for people who have diesel vehicles as diesel is slightly cheaper than petrol.  No idea how much these cost, my work vehicle is diesel but I never see the bill.

Not having any of these current incur pretty decent fines.  Then on top of that there is vehicle insurance.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/

#3180 2020-01-05 03:21:51

misko_2083

The standard is higher in NZ. Paycheck/bill ratio.
And you still pay less.

I don't know what the road taxes are. Are they for all the roads for a year?
Here you pay road taxes on the exits of the highways.

- A Warrant of Fitness, or "technical exam" 50€-60€, I heard it's cheaper in Belgrade.
- Registration and insurance from 200€ to infinity, has a list of 10 things to pay.
  Registration and insurance depends from the age of the vehicle, size and type of the engine, fuel, year of manufacture and who knows what else. You pay car insurance with registration, can't register without the insurance and confirmation you paid all the fines.
- Highway user charges: depends from kilometers spent on the highway.
Local roads have no taxes but decent amount of holes and bumps.
- Attest for hook hitch 32€ if you have one
- Attest for window foil if you want to have tinted windows 47€
- Attest for TNG apparatus if you have one

@Damo, sorry about the rant. January is depresing.

#3181 2020-01-05 03:52:05

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

misko_2083 wrote:

Paycheck/bill ratio.

Its not relevant to income.  A lot of NZ'ers can't afford this.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/

#3182 2020-01-05 05:57:34

misko_2083

Dobbie03 wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

Paycheck/bill ratio.

Its not relevant to income.  A lot of NZ'ers can't afford this.

Based on statistics, I think they are doing fine. cars per capita https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c … per_capita
GDP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c … per_capita
Although, houses are way too expensive. https://www.enz.org/house-prices-auckland.html
How can someone afford them? Those prices make me dizzy, but I don't think pensioners have to dig from the trash containers to survive in NZ.
Here in the countryside I've seen the houses sold for 1.000€. In the town 20-30.000€. In the capital city they can be more expensive.

Last edited by misko_2083 (2020-01-05 06:21:20)

#3183 2020-01-05 11:30:32

Sun For Miles

misko_2083 wrote:

Here in the countryside I've seen the houses sold for 1.000€. In the town 20-30.000€. In the capital city they can be more expensive.

Prices of square meter in Belgrade are up 30%-100% in most of the areas, and in BWF go up to 8.000€ per square meter. High demand runs those prices to around 2.000€ per square meter for mediocre real estate. Cherry on top is mentioned BWF where mafia's money laundring scheme turned into a total clusterfuck of faux economy.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#3184 2020-01-06 01:32:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

misko_2083 wrote:

I'm stuck with Linux for now.
Registration fee for an old junk car, 2000cc, 10+ years old is equal to one monthly salary.
Car registration fee lasts for one year, which means one month of work to register an old car every year. If the car is younger than 10 years the fees go higher.

I'm wondering how much do people pay for the car registration compared to salary and how long does it lasts in other countries.

I wouldn't know. My solution has been to live in a warm, flat city , close to work, and ride a bicycle. My commute is 7 minutes. I don't get parking tickets or towed or booted or stuck in traffic or weather conditions. I don't have to pay the scam that is insurance. Recent maintenance, I payed $100 US for a new rear cog and chain, installed, and another $20 for a tire which I installed. That was a year and a half of wear on the cog, I ride hard. I pay for two new chains a year installed, they stretch and get greasy and gritty, but they're cheap so it's an easy fix. I ride a fixie so it's simple to maintain, no derailleur and only one (front) break. The only other parts to maintain are overhauling the hubs and bottom bracket (both services are well under $100). Hubs, every 2 years. Bottom bracket every three. If I want to travel I Uber to the airport.

#3185 2020-01-06 10:56:33

Martin
Website

You have a 7 minute commute and need new chain and rear cog that often? Hubs every 2 years? You say you ride hard but I have a problem figuring out how it is possible to go through parts at that rate unless you have to deal with the rasputitsa. Are you sure your bicycle repairman is not having you on?

My current ride is ten years old. My commute is 7--8 km. Time is weather dependent and can take anywhere between 20 minutes and an hour (deep snow). My bicycle has a gazillion gears but I have only replaced the rear cassette a couple of times and one chain ring once. The chain is replaced more often but not as often as you do it. I clean and lubricate it when needed and I check wear regularly and change it when I detect too much wear. Break pads wear out quickly in winter but still last more than a year. Hubs? I have never felt the need to replace them.

Snowy commute: https://youtu.be/Mmj0my0B07Q

/Martin (have just cleaned chain, will check wear later today)

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#3186 2020-01-08 01:54:56

hhh
Meep!
Website

The two chain per year figure was for the four of the last six years, I was a bike courier. You're right, I just changed my chain but I probably won't need to replace it this time till after next winter. I still need my bottom bracket and front hub done, but with my current cycling regime it'll be a good while before they need redoing.

#3187 2020-01-08 21:12:27

Martin
Website

As a bike courier you should end up doing a lot more miles than a mere commuter :-)

Wear check verdict: Time to move on to a new chain unless I also want to change cassette.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060209133 … ain%20wear

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#3188 2020-01-09 02:06:52

hhh
Meep!
Website

re bicycles: Metal against metal is a tricky beast. Before I did my last chain change, everything was silky quiet, but I noticed that my rear wheel was almost at the end of it's range and the chain was still loose. So, new chain. That's when the grinding and chattering started. The cog and the chain were both worn enough not to make noise, but the new chain and the following grinding and chattering revealed that the cog teeth were worn to the bike-equivalent of pencil tips! New cog, everything is now silky quiet again.

Likewise, I know I need a front hub overhaul because if I spin the front wheel in a quiet space... it sounds like hamsters are snacking, like sand in Annakin's underwear. Scratchy, gritty, not loud but not quiet either.

#3189 2020-01-09 03:32:05

cog
Cattle Baron
Website

^ cog always intends to make it silky smooth

526c4a5149b3aac81706a91c3d24bf95a94f503f23ecb60810933016dd67c798.th.jpg

Morning, Bunny.  Well, I can see you're in good health.  -George Washington McLintock! (John Wayne, AKA the Duke)

#3190 2020-01-09 03:59:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

^4/20/69 levels of (US date, nyeah rest of the globe!) nice.

Que Family Guy "Grinds My Gears"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjuXVUpp89w

#3191 2020-01-09 04:05:50

cog
Cattle Baron
Website

fizzy bubbly

Morning, Bunny.  Well, I can see you're in good health.  -George Washington McLintock! (John Wayne, AKA the Duke)

#3192 2020-01-14 20:14:40

twoion
ほやほや

The last Windows OS that was released before I started using Linux on the desktop with Ubuntu 8.04 and making money off it on the job has finally reached end-of-life today. Looking at how bad Win8 and Win10 perverted the user interface of this actually quite well engineered NT kernel (some say, in many aspects a better overall design than Linux monolith; and it supported OS/2 and POSIX personalities besides Win32 at a time when Linux didn't even know about different binfmts and Ballard hadn't released qemu yet) that's not a very good day for personal computing, also considering that Windows is now spyware. Even Vista did better than 8, 8.1 & 10, IMO (after a few bugfixes).

Fair amount of nostalgia in here wink

zhiW.png

Per aspera ad astra.

#3193 2020-01-15 14:06:18

clusterF

^ have to agree with you there, of all the windows incarnations 7 was was the best of them in terms of UI. I would use that exact same classic look at a previous workplace as i disliked the aero themes and was always accustomed to the windows 2000 interface from the late 90's early 2000's, so i was glad they integrated that into 7 when it came along.

#3194 2020-01-15 16:12:35

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

twoion wrote:

The last Windows OS that was released before I started using Linux on the desktop with Ubuntu 8.04 {snip}

Yea, I'll bet there is ...

I went from MS-DOS v6.22 to Win 3.11 for Workgroups(NT)  and ended with Win2k(NT).  From everything I read after that I'm glad Win2k reported "with a blue screen of death" I had no hard drive in my computer - Jul 2007.

I never could figure out just how Win2k could boot off the only HD in the computer then tell me there was no HDD in the computer.  DUH!!!!!!

That got me Ubuntu v6, Ubu v7 would not download at the cybercafe.  And I installed it "on the HDD that didn't exist" no less ... never looked back.

BTW: It still chugs along on a P-III with SliTaz Linux.  IT DOES exist Windows tongue

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#3195 2020-01-15 16:26:58

glittersloth
...village idiot

^ Speaking of time/nostalgia, just realized that, while I still run Ubuntu on desktop VMs or VPS instances, I've not actually installed and run it on bare metal as a primary desktop OS in 10 years. That's kind of shocking. I stopped at version 10.something (Lucid Lynx, iirc). Refused to install its successor out of spite, because I was miffed they didn't adopt my suggestion to call it Masturbating Mosquito (they named it some Moaning Meerkat or whatever). Pretty long grudge I've been holding  lol

#3196 2020-01-15 16:59:08

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

Actually I dropped all thoughts of UBU since I heard they installed "Ads".

IMHO they are the linux version of Windows Spyware.

#3197 2020-01-15 17:10:50

nore
>2⁹

^Ubuntu's top desktop release was Hardy Heron (8.04). Last time I used it must have been 2011, almost nine years back. It was also my last Ubuntu release on bare metal.

#3198 2020-01-15 17:15:43

glittersloth
...village idiot

@Sect11
That's a tad harsh*. You're talking about the Amazon thing? Can't you easily** remove that via a couple of commands, or just select the minimal option during installation? I used Win10 for a couple of weeks (came pre-installed with a recent laptop purchase) and Ubuntu doesn't hold a candle to Microsoft in the pervert arena.

*My religion (motorcyclism) disallows hating on anything originating from the Isle of Man, so there may be some bias there.

**I'm fairly certain removing all traces of Amazon is far easier than removing all traces of Snaps.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-01-15 17:23:40)

#3199 2020-01-15 17:43:07

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

glittersloth wrote:

@Sect11
That's a tad harsh*. You're talking about the Amazon thing? Can't you easily** remohttps://forums.bunsenlabs.org/post.php?tid=10&qid=96086# wink ve that via a couple of commands, or just select the minimal option during installation?

HARSH! ... this from the guy that refuses to use it because they didn't use your name scheme!

Don't know if it can be removed .. don't care - just the fact they put it there!
It leaves the doubt of: "What aren't they telling us?"

I used Win10 for a couple of weeks (came pre-installed with a recent laptop purchase) and Ubuntu doesn't hold a candle to Microsoft in the pervert arena.

OH!  I do not doubt that at all.
MS has a LOT of practice at being "bad to the core"

I saw Win 10 in a store once - that was "close enough"!

*My religion (motorcyclism) disallows hating on anything originating from the Isle of Man, so there may be some bias there.

**I'm fairly certain removing all traces of Amazon is far easier than removing all traces of Snaps.

Yes and Yes   wink

#3200 2020-01-16 07:38:51

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

Windows OS

I have gaps in that timeline.
I started in the 90s with 3.1 on a 386, then nothing for a decade, then installing XP on hand-me-down laptops that probably couldn't have managed Vista or 7 anyhow, then on to Linux and never looked back.
The last time I came in close contact with Windows, that was actually 7 on a laptop in my work place; but it had been complaining about some missing credentials for a year already, to the point of hampering usability and just annoying everybody. And everybody is happy with that lappy running MX Linux today!

glittersloth wrote:

I still run Ubuntu on desktop VMs or VPS instances, I've not actually installed and run it on bare metal as a primary desktop OS in 10 years. That's kind of shocking. I stopped at version 10.something (Lucid Lynx, iirc). Refused to install its successor out of spite, because I was miffed they didn't adopt my suggestion to call it Masturbating Mosquito (they named it some Moaning Meerkat or whatever). Pretty long grudge I've been holding  lol

Are you sure it wasn't because that's when they dropped the almost perfect Gnome2 desktop for the "and now for something completely different" Unity?

Sector11 wrote:

Actually I dropped all thoughts of UBU since I heard they installed "Ads".

They did for one release only iirc and stopped doing it a long time ago, but they really didn't do themselves any favours there.
To this day I'm hearing people say things like the above, or even "I want to get rid of Win 10 and start using Linux. But I heard that Ubuntu also does telemetry???"
Then explain to them that bug reports or popularity contest could also be defined as telemetry but have nothing to do with that Amazon debacle...

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-01-16 07:44:32)

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Board footer