You are not logged in.

#2926 2019-08-31 04:56:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Well, thank goodness Rick Scheff is here to school you nerds!

---Rick Scheff
Rick Scheff, Born here, live here, honored to be able to serve in the armed forces here
Updated Mar 28, 2019 · Author has 393 answers and 945k answer views
Originally Answered: Why does the US follow the date format mm/dd/yyyy?---

The year is pretty distinct and could go at the start or end, so the real question is just mm/dd (USA) OR dd/mm (Europe).

mm/dd is categorically better for sorting data. In spreadsheet software and many programming languages it's not terribly relevant if and only if every date is correctly formatted and the software recognizes it as a date.

What happens when you import something and they're just numeric or character values though? The data set containing the following values (given in words): Jan 5th, Mar 28th, Feb 1st, Sep 15th, Feb 8th  can be represented in two ways:

mm/dd: 01/05, 03/28, 02/01, 09/15, 02/08

OR

dd/mm: 05/01, 28/03, 01/02, 15/09, 08/02

Now, pretend you perform a sloppy import process, and the software doesn't know that they're dates. It only knows that these are character values. You want to put the dates in order so you do an alphabetic sort.

Here is the mm/dd (USA system) result:
01/05 - 02/01 - 02/08 - 03/28 - 09/15
OR
Jan 5th, Feb 1st, Feb 8th, Mar 28th, Sep 15th.

Here is the dd/mm (Europe system) result:
01/02 - 05/01 - 08/02 - 15/09 - 28/03
OR
1st Feb, 5th Jan, 8th Feb, 15th Sep, 28th Mar

The superior system is the system that allowed you to get the result you wanted with the least amount of data manipulation effort. The superior system is mm/dd. dd/mm is illogical and inefficient and pretending otherwise is silly.

To claim otherwise is to claim that there are equally many situations where you might want to sort by day before sorting by month than the opposite which is just absolute nonsense.

I, for one, welcome our Computer Overlords.

#2927 2019-08-31 08:28:28

glittersloth
...village idiot

hhh wrote:

If that's the case then they'll adopt yy/mm/dd for data sorting, because it's the most logical and efficient. Means that Japan has been doing it right, and said future computer overlords will come with tentacles.

So:
dd/mm/yy = ascending for humans but least logical for robots
yy/mm/dd = descending for humans and most logical for robots
mm/dd/yy = tumor inducing for humans and neither here nor there for robots.

Funny how this escalated. I was really just complaining about application developers not employing the proper tools/frameworks to sort out date format by region/language. The whole US vs ROW thing was simply humour/humor*

*see, I even used both Pasty Clown and Orange Duck spelling. I'd spell in Pooh Bear too, but don't have a Chinese keyboard.

So it's settled. Americans have 12 days per month and up to 31 months per year. Rest of us can suck it. Done. =P

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-08-31 09:04:34)

#2928 2019-08-31 09:35:12

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Yup American dates and measurements are weird and confusing.

I'm old enough to remember when we used gallons and not liters in Canada. But I'm sure plenty of Americans were wondering how their cars got better fuel mileage when they were traveling in Canada.

You see, ours were imperial gallons. One imperial gallon is approximately 1.2 US gallons.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#2929 2019-08-31 15:26:36

twoion
ほやほや

Anaconda wrote:

I'm old enough to remember when we used gallons and not liters in Canada. But I'm sure plenty of Americans were wondering how their cars got better fuel mileage when they were traveling in Canada.

ROFL, for real. That's a great joke to tell.

Per aspera ad astra.

#2930 2019-09-01 00:44:40

hhh
Meep!
Website

For a brief spell, under Reagan, I think, in the early nineties, we had Interstate sign mileages in mph and then in kph in a smaller font under that. That didn't last long. There was a big attempt at a metric conversion here, started under Carter (again, I think) and it failed. It burst into flames and made a whiny kamikaze sound as it hit the ground. Like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd5ZBoRzr3I

#2931 2019-09-01 00:57:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

What are we talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JROmHzavjA8

One minute thirty for the win.

#2932 2019-09-01 01:06:18

hhh
Meep!
Website

Two minutes and fifteen seconds, the International sign for "I have uncontrollable explosive diarrhea. Can I get a bathroom break?"

#2933 2019-09-01 01:19:19

hhh
Meep!
Website

Screenshot_2019-08-31_21-10-35.md.png

Madonna: "Strike a pose (vogue, vogue)."

The Clash: "Sharif don't like it!"

The Police: "Bombs away... in old Bombay."

Journey, any song. They all fit but they're all meaningless. I hate them. If they weren't part of the Caddyshack soundtrack I'd have no tolerance for them at all. Walking down the boulevard!!! Anyway you want it, that's the way you need it!!!

What the hell does that last one mean??!? And I have no idea why walking down the boulevard is so fucking awesome. Don't stop believing... in bullshit?

Jefferson Airplane: "Wait, what?" confused looks

And, of course, Danger Zone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUsFWO08CO0

#2934 2019-09-01 01:29:48

hhh
Meep!
Website

#2935 2019-09-01 01:34:13

hhh
Meep!
Website

#2936 2019-09-01 01:54:01

hhh
Meep!
Website

Damn. At about 4:11, is that Suzanne Pleshette, famous for her role in the Bob Newhart Show?

#2937 2019-09-01 05:29:02

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ and ^^ and ^^^ etc.... It's saturday again... roll

Anyhow...

hhh wrote:

---Rick Scheff
blablabla

That must be the biggest pile of bull I've seen in a long time.
It sounds like someone who is just about able to code an HTML page, using their "superior knowledge" to explain to people that the American Way is better, because science.
Where on earth (or should I say: American soil) did you get that from?

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#2938 2019-09-01 16:19:39

glittersloth
...village idiot

Question about Windows 10;
How does the license work these days? Do you still get a registration key/number (or equivalent), or does it require creation of a Microsoft account, and what are the associated terms for usage? Let's say you get a new machine with Win10 Home preinstalled and wipe the whole thing to install a Linux distro, would it be (legally) possible to then install Windows in a virtual machine and activate it?

#2939 2019-09-01 17:22:43

eight.bit.al

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-find-the … ed-Windows
Since it came with pre-installed Windows 10, it must be having an OEM key which is stored in the UEFI firmware chip on the motherboard. It will no longer be displayed on any labels or anywhere.

You don’t have to know this key because it cannot be used to activate another machine. In case you are reinstalling the OS, it will automatically fetch the stored key and get activated.

-edit- and is linked to your M$ account.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sy … ggle.shtml
Create a backup of your Windows Product Key without the risk of having it misspelled with the help of this handy software application

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel … 0-activate
Activate Windows 10

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-a … are-change
How to re-activate Windows 10 after a hardware change.

HTH,
8bit

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."
    - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2019-09-01 17:40:30)

Computers don't grow, they accumulate.

#2940 2019-09-01 18:07:58

eight.bit.al

https://blogs.systweak.com/how-to-disab … indows-10/
How to Disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

Leaner win 10
http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi … gurations/
Black Viper’s Windows 10 Service Configurations
(been using Black Viper for years; recommended)

8bit

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
    - Carl Sagan (1934-1996)

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2019-09-01 20:27:06)

#2941 2019-09-02 14:23:37

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

I gotta go back to this ....

THE FOLLOWING IS MEANT TO FALL ON THE SIDE OF HUMOUR

I'm old school too, and dd/mm/yy for the ROW was around a lot longer than computers so, so much for Rick Scheff

Sector11, Born in Canada, lived in Canada, honoured to be able to serve in the armed forces in Canada
Why does the Canada and the ROW follow the date format dd/mm/yyyy?

Because LONG before computers-n-robots were here:

1. small(dd)/medium(mm)/large(YYYY or yy)
- - - it makes more sense than medium/small/large
2. most common format in world wide use

and then a snippit of glitter's post, italics mine:

glittersloth wrote:
hhh wrote:

If that's the case then they'll adopt yy/mm/dd for data sorting, because it's the most logical and efficient. Means that Japan has been doing it right, and said future computer overlords will come with tentacles.
So:
dd/mm/yy = ascending for humans but least logical for robots
yy/mm/dd = descending for humans and most logical for robots
mm/dd/yy = tumor inducing for humans and neither here nor there for robots.

The whole US vs ROW thing was simply humour/humor*

So it's settled. Americans have 12 days per month and up to 31 months per year. Rest of us can suck it. Done. =P

HEY glitter ... I knew you was just funnin'
12 days per month and up to 31 months per year indeed, funny stuff that.

also with 2 formats it is very very confusing if both days and month are less than 13:

is 7/7/2019

The 7th day of July 2019 OR July 7th 2019 - OK that doesn't work

So is 12/4/2019

the 12th day of April 2019 OR Dec 4th, 2019

BTW, while in the Cdn Military: yyyymmdd  was used quite a lot. and I still use it quite a bit ... for sorting purposes ... matches the HHMMSS of 24 hour time because hh/mm/ss/am/pm is silly.

Hmmmm  MM:HH:SS hahahahahaha

twoion wrote:
Anaconda wrote:

ROFL, for real. That's a great joke to tell.

Yup, that's true, we actually though it was funny.  Mac, who owned a BA gas station, (British-American Oil - now Gulf Canada) back in the day actually made comment on it.

THE PRECEDING IS MEANT TO FALL ON THE SIDE OF HUMOUR

Please do not take it as a slam in anyway.  We all have our differences and only Canada is right.
{having donned a fireproof suit prior to posting , I now exit stage left}

Last edited by Sector11 (2019-09-02 14:29:35)

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#2942 2019-09-02 14:38:26

glittersloth
...village idiot

eight.bit.al wrote:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-find-the … ed-Windows
Since it came with pre-installed Windows 10, it must be having an OEM key which is stored in the UEFI firmware chip on the motherboard. It will no longer be displayed on any labels or anywhere.

You don’t have to know this key because it cannot be used to activate another machine. In case you are reinstalling the OS, it will automatically fetch the stored key and get activated.

-edit- and is linked to your M$ account.

Thanks for taking the time.

Turns out using the terms "Windows OEM Key" or "Windows Product Key" in DDG got me the answers I needed. All I need is to run a single command in Windows Power Shell (also possible in Linux it seems) and I'm good to go.

Don't think I'll even need to make a MS account; from what I've read, if you click the "skip this step" option in the initial part, you'll be taken to a screen that asks you to name that particular machine only.

eight.bit.al wrote:

https://blogs.systweak.com/how-to-disab … indows-10/
How to Disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

Leaner win 10
http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi … gurations/
Black Viper’s Windows 10 Service Configurations
(been using Black Viper for years; recommended)

These look mighty useful. Will keep them for future reference. Again, thanks.

Last edited by glittersloth (2019-09-02 14:50:35)

#2943 2019-09-02 14:47:22

glittersloth
...village idiot

hhh wrote:

Madonna: "Strike a pose (vogue, vogue)."

FTS, man.

Terre Thaemlitz (DJ Sprinkles) wrote:

When Madonna came out with her hit "Vogue" you knew it was over. She'd taken a very specifically queer, transgender, Latino and African-American phenomenon and totally erased that context with lyrics about how "It makes no difference if you're black or white, if you're a boy or a girl." Madonna was taking in tons of money, while the Queen who actually taught her how to vogue was sitting on a table in front of me, broke. So if anybody requested "Vogue" or any other Madonna track, I just told them, "No, this is a Madonna-free zone! And as long as I'm DJ-ing, you will not be allowed to vogue to the decontextualized, reified, corporatized, liberalized, neutralized, asexualized, re-genderized pop reflection of this dance floor's reality!"

#2944 2019-09-02 20:16:37

eight.bit.al

glittersloth wrote:

Turns out using the terms "Windows OEM Key" or "Windows Product Key" in DDG got me the answers I needed.

What is DDG?

Nice, good to know.

Don't think I'll even need to make a MS account; from what I've read, if you click the "skip this step" option in the initial part, you'll be taken to a screen that asks you to name that particular machine only.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. I think I remember some minor loss of functionality; Windows Store, etc. Just head over to outlook.com and get a free email account, which you don't have to use; or use it for a throw-away account for 'free' stuff one needs an email account to get. Also, outlook.com email account is very good at eliminating spam.

These look mighty useful. Will keep them for future reference. Again, thanks.

/me bows low.

8bit

"Women might be able to fake orgasms. But men can fake a whole relationship."
    - Sharon Stone

#2945 2019-09-02 20:51:48

glittersloth
...village idiot

eight.bit.al wrote:

What is DDG?

DuckDuckGo. Search engine.
Sorry, I should've just said Google.

#2946 2019-09-02 23:02:17

eight.bit.al

glittersloth wrote:

Sorry, I should've just said Google.

No, not at all. Reminds me I've been wanting to switch to DDG and only use GØogℓe as a backup. Thx.

8bit

“It still holds true that people are most uniquely human when they turn obstacles into opportunities.”
― Eric Hoffer

#2947 2019-09-03 17:04:13

ratcheer

I keep flipping between Duck Duck Go and Startpage. I have no idea which is "better".

#2948 2019-09-03 17:49:57

ohnonot
...again
Website

ratcheer wrote:

I keep flipping between Duck Duck Go and Startpage. I have no idea which is "better".

DDG is its own search engine (quite an achievement imo), whereas startpage searches google for you, without erevealing your IP etc.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#2949 2019-09-04 06:57:15

glittersloth
...village idiot

ratcheer wrote:

If you're after Goog-like results quality/quantity, then Startpage for sure. I do find DDG's better at smothering out noise sometimes though. By "noise", I mean those echo-chamber type pages that contain nothing but a header and a link to the actual story on a bigger publication somewhere else. Basically pages that employ funky SEO techniques to get ad or redirect revenue.

#2950 2019-09-04 13:02:12

ratcheer

Thanks. I've been using DDG for the past few weeks, and it does pretty well. I'll stick with it. (I have used it off and on for years, though.)

Board footer